Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One Practice A Week Could Make You Worse?

JD45

To start, I'll say that this book, With Winning in Mind, is getting me excited about shooting again. I've only read part of it, but I think that everyone should read it. Because of respected members of this forum I really believe in what he is saying.

The part that sort of threw me for a loop was the paragraph about how many practice sessions a week it takes to be a winner. Seven is considered no good, because it leads to burnout. Two or three are supposed to help maintain your skill but not really show improvement.

He clearly states that only one session per week will probably degrade your skills more than not practicing at all. From my own experience, I can see that happening. I've experienced it on several occasions.

Although, I'm wondering if I'm taking it too literally. For example, if you are only going to practice once a week would you be better off simply shooting matches with no practice?

If so, I assume that five dry-fire sessions and no live-fire would be a step in the right direction. I have many more questions, but just clearing up this topic will be a start.

Edited by JD45

For example, if you are only going to practice once a week would you be better off simply shooting matches with no practice.

Thats my practice regimen, 2 or 3 matches per month, no practice if I can help it..... but it shows. :P

Somewhere in the greater than 2 less than 7 times a week range is probably the best for trying to get improvement..... but don't forget the quality of the practice is more important than the number of times, duration, or round count....

Dry fire every day you can, and get to the range (match or otherwise) at least once per week will do wonders for you if you are focused.

Edited by sfinney

Basham is referring to Olympic level athletes. Compare that to USPSA GM Class shooters.

I try to live fire at least twice a week with a local match every weekend. Emphasize the word "try". Sometimes life happens, and you can't make a match, or it rains and live-fire practice doesn't materialize. Most people don't have a range they can feesably practice at 5 or 6 times a week. They're lucky if the drive is less than an hour (each way)! Maximize what you have readily available. If you can live0fire twice a week, dry-fire every other night, and 1 match (most) every weekend you should move into B or even A Class faster than you can imagine.

Good Luck. :)

Maybe if you're at the top levels, but a whole lot of shooters go from D to B class with nothing but weekend matches. Trigger time is good. More is better.

I can completely agree to that from experience. I've only owned a pistol (of any type) for two years, shot USPSA for about 21 months. I started shooting low and to the left and zeroing every classifier I shot to nearly B class with several 1st C and D plaques from major matches during my two years.

Major matches seem to give me about the same experience I would have gained from 5+ local matches.

Keep reading the book. I believe he talks about not being able to get a lot of live fire practice. He did a lot a dry fire--but I could be wrong. I read the book a while ago. I think it is probably the best book out there.

It's a solid third place, next to one or two others... :D

DABKT.jpg

beyondf.jpg

I can honestly say when i can shoot 5 days per week i get a lot better a lot faster.

I think what he is saying is that for top level shooters who are already (near) perfect anyway. I don't think any practice can really hurt your physical ability but mentally it will surely put a hurting on you.

I suppose my question could have been more specific.

I have no doubt about seven days being burnout territory, or five days being ideal.

What I really want opinions on is the one day a week thing. Do you truly believe that one practice session per week is worse than none at all?

You are posing an interesting question. The problem is there are no universal answers. There really is not a cook book out there that if you follow you will become a GM. There are way too many variables in life, etc.

One practice a week for me may work out great--of course I am practicing with Taran Butler, Mike Voigt or Matt Burkett. Will it help me get a lot better fast --yes. It meets your general criteria of once a week but it is how and what we practice which determines our improvement, not necessarily the when which can help us.

One practice a week doing fundamentals may work for me but not someone else.

Does dry firing count as practice? If not then as others have recommended -- dry fire alot. One live fire a month plus a match or two perhaps you could see dramatic improvement.

What does Lanny say about making a plan?

I would suggest an evaluation of where your currently are in your shooting, make a realistic short term goal then practice getting to that goal! Then make a new one. Gee if this sounds like it came out of his book it did. This is how you are going to see dramatic improvement in your shooting. Regardless if it once a week or once a month.

What I really want opinions on is the one day a week thing. Do you truly believe that one practice session per week is worse than none at all?

No.

What he said.

Seriously, how could one practice a week be worse than none at all? I just don't get how that is a valid concept. Any practice is better then no practice.

Seriously, how could one practice a week be worse than none at all? I just don't get how that is a valid concept. Any practice is better then no practice.

If that one practice is not working on what YOU need to work on, and you are sloppy in your techniques, that one practice will definately not help. However, if you put that one practice to good use, with proper technique, etc, it definately is better than just not doing any.

"Practice doens't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect."

I think it all depends on what is being practiced and the quality of that practice. If you shoot a match and determine there is a weak-point in your skill-set then even a single practice session focusing on that one specific skill will most definately help.

For a lot of us the only shooting we do is a local match once per week. This is not really a practice session as there is no structure to it. For example; for an Open shooter there may not be a single reload during the entire match. If this is all the shooting that you do then I think there is a possibility that your overall skill-set could become diminished.

When was the last time you shot prone at a local match for example ?

If you shoot a local match with the right attitude and focus then the single match a week could still be a benefit. Each match - each stage - should be approached as if it were at a World Shoot or Nationals.

It's less about the physical act of shooting and more a mindset issue.

Lanny talks a lot on building sub-conscious skills.

If you are only getting one practice in a week, you are going to have a real hard time burning in skills so that they are automatic.

What one practice a week will do is allow you to try out different stuff...figure out what works...verify ideas...etc.