Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge Prize Guns And Ups

dnuke146

Grettings all, just wanted to ask if others were having similar experience:

Won two guns at the Steel Challenge, thank god one was a Certificate. Paid the $35 at the match to transfer my the Browning Buckmark from Keep It in the Ten Ring in Fillmore to Salem Oregon, FFL Dealer. Got a call from a gal on Friday who asked if I wanted to give CC for shipping charges or just do COD, learned my lesson the COD charges and gave her CC. She asked if I wanted call back with amount and I advised if it's like $20 dont worry about it and she advised yea, gonna be right about there, no problem.

Look at online banking today, $86.00, after I got up off floor called Keep It In The Ten Ring and they advised, yup that is what UPS is charging now, something about an $11.00 surcharge for fuel or something. He said this is what they actually charged them, no additional Keep It In The Ten Ring fees.

This is absolutely ridiculous, I would have taken the $125 someone offered to me in the prize room if I would have know that.

Anyway, just wondering if similar is happening to others.

Doug

that seems pretty stiff..

from CO to anywhere in CONUS..it is no more that $45-50 for NextDay Delivery of handguns. longguns are incredibly cheaper as they don't require Nextday per UPS policy.

The fuel charge is only if delivery is to a home address..a place of business will get you a slightly cheaper rate.

Uhm gun fits in a fedex express carton, asking fedex, from cali to NJ would cost about $56. Granted, alaska to NJ would cost about 46, and alaska to miami would cost about $42. driver pickup adds something like $4.

That's for next day air saver, and the webstie claims it includes a surcharge. heck even if the $11 surcharge is extra, it still isn't $86.

I'm not sure how they are getting $86.

I've shipped a bunch of guns recently. The most I paid was $65.00 from OR to GA and OR to AZ. Most of the S&W 22A's that I shipped to WA, ID and MT (Should be similar weight and distance) were about $35.00.

I'd check the UPS site and see if you can get a quote. Or call UPS. I can't imagine that $86.00 is reasonable. That said, $90.00 for three years of an FFL sounds pretty reasonable doesn't it. I figure I've saved 600-800 in shipping charges since I've had mine.

UPS was going to charge me $85 dollars to send my gun to briely in houston. I live in the same state just 6 hours away. I did not send it. Seems like UPS does not have all its counter folks on the same page.

I've shipped a bunch of guns recently. The most I paid was $65.00 from OR to GA and OR to AZ. Most of the S&W 22A's that I shipped to WA, ID and MT (Should be similar weight and distance) were about $35.00.

I'd check the UPS site and see if you can get a quote. Or call UPS. I can't imagine that $86.00 is reasonable. That said, $90.00 for three years of an FFL sounds pretty reasonable doesn't it. I figure I've saved 600-800 in shipping charges since I've had mine.

Dang it i still can't figure out how to reply here sorry all..

From rumors here UPS has a problem with gun gettin lost on a regular ground shipinng..so they require over nite shipping..It is not a ffl requirment...

I never use ups unless it is the last resort.

Leroy

Hellloooo Doooug,

That is way over the top. I just found myself a local dealer today, but now I am afraid to have my guns sent. :huh: That won gun, is almost the most expensive in your arsenal now. You should have saved the money, and bought a Glock like Randy had. Just a thought!

Talk soon

Maaaaark

Couple of months ago I shipped an AR lower from California to JP Rifles. I sent it 2nd day UPS and it cost just over $20. 2 day delivery was about $5 more than regular ground rate. I can't believe rates went up 4x in the last few months.

Itchy

Found out some further, looked up on UPS website, punched in the numbers for overnight shipping from Fillmore to Salem OR. There were two options, next day air, delivery by 0830hrs. for $86. Then there was next day air, delivery by 1030hrs. $50. I don't understand why they would have picked the most expensive next day air option when the cheaper one would have been just as good, as it was my Dealer wasn't able to receive the package and it was delivered a day later. I just don't get it, if Keep It In The Ten Ring wasnt making any money on the shipping, why pick the higher shipping rate and screw us.

Doug

PS. Heeellllllooooo Mark

One possible is so by shipping overnight they dont have to insure the guns....or that is what they told me..... :blink:

DougC......

yea, but I signed the transfer form, waiving insurance, and they asked me verbally if I was waiving insurance, dunno.

I don't know if I can afford to have my guns sent over here now. They made a point of saying that long guns would be shipped with handguns.

ooops.

Next year it will be just easier to win the match and take the cash. :wacko:

<_< so you kick our butts and win a nice new S&W and now your complaing ? <_<

:unsure: if only I had so much to worry about.

:D It was nice to see you, Congrats on the finish, I hope to make you work harder for it next year. ;)

Jamie Foote

Hi Jamie,

It sure is nice to be in the same time zone as you guys. :ph34r:

I'm not complaining about winning the guns, I am just sick of dumping so much money into UPS and FEDEX. They have squeezed a small fortune from me of late. To make matters worse, these are the same guys that will lose your Practise and Match ammo, and have you pick it up from their warehouse if you need it quickly. It happened to me in 2003, and 2004, a day late last year, and this year it happened to PMD. I was lucky that this year I had a way around depending on them, and some friends from the North sorted my ammo for me. I wonder if that's why my match wasn't quite as good as I had planned.....Oh no thats right, I kept missing the plates.

Sionara

Mark :wacko:

I ship thousands of handguns a year. All of them FEDEX next day. The shipping companies mandated next day shipment of handguns back in the late 1990's to reduce their liability (and to move the shipments out of their system and away from internal theives quicker).

Fuel surcharges are a bottom line on the shipping bill and have substantially increased over the past 18 months, 11 bucks does not sound too crazy. It's like a tax.

USPS is utterly unreliable in shipping firearms, the company did that for a whole four days back in early 2000 and the postal service LOST about 8 handguns. Other packages were left outside, left at the wrong address, etc.

At the 86 dollar mark you paid for the top of shelf, fastest possible service and you got hosed. Being a walk up customer you also got no volume discount. And yes, UPS counter people don't usually know what their own company policies are, ditto that at a lot of post offices.

Oh yeah, they (UPS/FEDEX) don't care when they run over a $2500 Browning O/U with a forklift...not their problem.

Edited by Middle Man

The 3 years I owned Shooters Paradise, we recieved and shipped all of our guns (minimum 4000) to other FFL's through USPS for an average of about $15-20.

Being a major's FFL holder is quite a business these days. That $35 you pay is to simply write the gun out to the other FFL's info...that's it! Let's see, there were over 165 guns (only of which 30 or so were certificates) tranfered at $35 a pop, plus an extra $20 or so added to the "shipping expenses."

That's not a bad day's work, just to store some prize guns, drive them out to the awards, and do a bit of writing.

The last (and only) match I coordinated the prizes for was the 2001 Area 8 Championship. After spending $0 and getting 15 guns, I knew that the next sponsor I needed to get was a local FFL holder. Virginia Arms was nice enough to sponsor the match by conducting free transfers to all of the winners. That saved the shooters around $700, and got the dealer some easy advertising.

I'm not saying that FFL's for matches like Steel Challenge, Area 2, or the (glory days of) USPSA Nationals should do all that work for free, but how about a little break for the shooters? With over 40-50 guns, a transfer fee of $15 would cover any expenses.

After seeing the number of guns at the 2001 Nationals, I was praying to have the Nationals in VA one year so Shooters Paradise could do the transfers! I was greedy back then! ;)

Well, it felt good to blow off a little steam. I should do that more often.

God bless,

Phil

Sam and I were fortunate enough to both win guns at Area 3. I was annoyed when the dealer charged me $40 just to write my FFL number in his bound book. I went from annoyed to pissed when he hit me up for another $40 for the second gun on the same FFL.

You would think almost every host club could find somebody with an FFL who would be willing to handle it for $5 or $10 per transfer, or maybe even for free. It requires minimal effort for the dealer.

(Area 3 was still a great match!)

Edited by Carmoney

• 3 weeks later...

I just received a S&W 686 for a kid who won it at the Steel Challenge from Keep it in The Ten Ring. He charged them 35 at the match for the transfer and then $55.00 for shipping to Oregon. $31.00 cheaper than what he charged Doug. But here's the kicker. UPS left it on my front porch for two days while I was out of town. Can't really get mad at UPS though. There was no adult signature required listed with the tracking number, and UPS had no way of knowing since they shipped it GROUND! Now I'm not going to begrudge them some profit but this is borderline criminal. I know Oregon has a statute, Theft by Deception. If they're claiming that they're only charging actual shipping and that it will be shipped a certain way, and then they lie about the price and the shipping method? Well I take that back, there's no borderline about it. They're just stealing.