Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N330 In .40

Sgtsvi

I won 4lb of N330 at a match last year and have not opened it yet. I was thinking of trying it for .40 major after I use up my titegroup. Have any of you guys had any luck with this powder and either 180 jhp zero's or 185 precisions. Does it burn any cleaner or change the recoil much. I did a search and found a little data but not alot.

Thanks

It takes about .4 to .6gr more N330 to make the same power factor as N320, if everything else is equal. You will likely not see any pressure signs [unless you make 195pf]...

It may not be the #1 softest powder with 180s but sounds like a good choice with 200s as it will fill the case a lot better than TiteGroup, Universal Clays & such.

I also have about 4lbs. of IMR 7625 that I use in one of my open guns. I heard you could do a .40 major load with this powder and it should be pretty clean burning. Any of you guys try this yet?

I won 4lb of N330 at a match last year and have not opened it yet. I was thinking of trying it for .40 major after I use up my titegroup. Have any of you guys had any luck with this powder and either 180 jhp zero's or 185 precisions. Does it burn any cleaner or change the recoil much. I did a search and found a little data but not alot.

Thanks

I have only used N-330 with the 147 gr. jacketed or Rainer bullets in the 9mm. The loads listed for the 9mm in the VV manual provide excellent accuracy and are clean burning.

I am planning on using a portion of the N330 for 9mm subsonic loads as soon as I get my paperwork from ATF and pick up my SWR supressor. I also have 1000 precision delta 147gr. bullets to load them with.

4.5 grains N330, 185 precision at 1.135 oal

federal 200 primer

FEDERAL marked brass

6 inch glock 24.

I know it makes major in the six inch gun, but didnt in the 4.5 inch g22..its also REALLY clean.

• 3 weeks later...

First powder I used in a .40 was 330 with 180gr bullets. It's not that its a bad powder - in fact it worked fine, but when I tried the 320 the change in recoil impulse was very much better. Faster back on target and overall better feel. Same thing for 200gr. The more you shoot the more you will feel that 320 is better. Some like TGO like 310.

I used up the rest of my 330 loading .38super steel loads and it works great and is super accurate.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

5.0 grs N330 gave me 171PF at Area 6 this year shot thru dual CED chronos back to back. Same load at GA State gave me barely 165 but it was a single CED running off a generator with IR screens. I have a set of CED IR screens and they stink unless you have conditioned power at the perfect frequency. I now have a 5.2 gr load for most major matches but my Oehler says they are 175-177 PF.

5.0 grs N330 gave me 171PF at Area 6 this year shot thru dual CED chronos back to back. Same load at GA State gave me barely 165 but it was a single CED running off a generator with IR screens. I have a set of CED IR screens and they stink unless you have conditioned power at the perfect frequency. I now have a 5.2 gr load for most major matches but my Oehler says they are 175-177 PF.

What bullet?

Tls

• 2 weeks later...

doug, ill have to second that it shoots really good in a 9x19.

at 25 yards standing i kept 17 rounds from my glock in a b-27 head

and at 15 yards off the bench, i put 10 rounds through the same hole..

load was 3.6 N330, 147 grain bear creek bullet at 1.150...loaded with federal 100 primers in once fired federal brass.

Edited by Harmon

Used to run 330 for Limited major in my Glock 35. Actually liked it a little better than

320. Load was 5.3 N330, 180 gr Armscor, WSP primer. OAL 1.140. G35 with a stock

Glock barrel.

YMMV, approach with caution, standard disclaimers apply.

• 4 years later...

Has anyone used n330 in a .40 for 165gr bullets? I have a mess of 165gr Zero FMJ's and some N330 I'd like to use up with them. I've tried searching, but found none here or on Lapua's site for this combination. (I'll take minor or major info - anything (safe) I can get.) Thanks!

Edited by toddje

• 3 weeks later...

I used V V N330 with 180 gr. LRNFP & Zero 180 JHP. Need to use about .6 grains more than N320 to make major but I think recoil is softer. My load 5.7 N330 180 gr zero JHP 1.190 OAL in my limited gun. 5.3 N330 180 gr LRNFP (lead round nose flat point) 1.190 OAL. I practice with lead outdoors, usually shoot match's with zero JHP.