Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where Does My Journey End?

All:

Just curious if you have opinioins on a shooting mecca. mecca as defined by me is an area that within an hours drive you can shoot some type of action pistol/rifle/shotgun match any night of the week and on weekends. It should also have several active clubs of good folks that don't bitch moan and bellyache about every friggin detail.

I have shot in the phoneix area once and with one clubs exception (I will not mention here) I have never met more enthusiastic or nicer folks.

Why am I asking you might ask.. Well in one year my daughter goes off to get her coledge edukation :) and I can move on to enjoying my life again. :o

Sooooo...

What would you reccomend as a mecca?

I may be a bit biased, but I truly think the metro Phoenix area offers both more shooting, and more shooting days than anyplace else I am aware of. Western Washington is probably a good second choice, especially if you are reasonably close to the Oregon border, so you can draw from matches in both states. Probably someone from that part of the country could offer more specifics. Can't think of any place else offhand- Southern California has several places to shoot, but the legal restrictions prohibit you from taking toys there if you aren't already there with your toys duly registered. Sounds like you and I are in the same position, except fortunately I already live here, so my shooting hasn't been curtailed quite so much perhaps.

I also think the Phoenix/Mesa/Scottsdale area has a higher percentage of good shooters than anywhere else. Of course we have TGO and Brian (Brian come out and shoot!) but it goes beyond that. The level of shooting skill of the average Arizona competitor, particularly (but not exclusively) at Rio Salado, is very high.

On a typical weekend you can shoot against/with TGO, Matt Burkett, Angus Hobdell, Don Golembieski, Vic Pickett as well as a host of VERY talented shooters like Nick Saiti, Brian Williamson, Tim Milkovich, Mike Linn, Mickey Darren etc etc. And that's just at Rio. You can also shoot at the Cactus Combat League, Scottsdale Gun Club, Phoenix Rod and Gun Club, and even Pima Pistol Club in Tucson.

We also have a very high standard of match directors and staff. The typical weekend match is quite challenging and you'll see stages that are as good or better than anywhere else.

Plus you an take me on at the Rifle/Shotgun match on the 2d Saturday. ;)

PHX/Scottsdale *is* Mecca. If I thought I wouldn't totally hate the heat from May->Sept, I'd be there already.

Western WA/OR is a close second, but if you don't like shooting in 40 degrees and rain, you'll have a tough time from November -> March. Fortunately, at least TriCounty is well-set up and has covers near the front of every bay and people bring in portable heaters to limber up the fingers before shooting. Not sure about what they do farther north...

Atlanta Ya'll.

I believe there are at least three indoors clubs that shoot during the week.

There are enough quality clubs and facilities around to shoot almost any weekend.

Cherokee Gun Club and South River are as good as any facility I have seen.

Both run club matches that are as good as any sectional I have ever been to.

Great people running the show.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Tony

Atlanta Ya'll.

I believe there are at least three indoors clubs that shoot during the week.

There are enough quality clubs and facilities around to shoot almost any weekend.

Cherokee Gun Club and South River are as good as any facility I have seen.

Both run club matches that are as good as any sectional I have ever been to.

Great people running the show.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Tony

Me, too!

Plus, you're never more than 5 minutes from a Waffle House (I think it's a law).

Edited by ima45dv8

Yeah Phoenix is always at the top of the list. I have had the pleasure of shooting at Rio and participating in the Tuesday Night Steel festivities. BTW.. Thanks for that. I now own some steel because that was so much fun.

Problem is either needing to become indepedently wealthy or finding a job in my skill set in the area. I understand the Scottsdale area can be rather high on cost of living. And being publicized as a retirement community may almost be as bad as a tourist destination.

One of my MAJOR desires is to never live in a tourist destination again. I know Destin FL doesn't measure up to Mickey Land or such but it is enough to drive me nuts. It used to be just summer folks but now sping break and dang snowbirds running south we have some type of visitors year round clogging up beachfront and roads. The local government just panders away and slowly but surely you are only going to get to the beach via the federal park as the other access is going condo don't ya know. Oh well maybe I need to move that to a hate rant. :blink:

Atlanta huh??? That is only 6 hours away and I got buds in Cumming that can put me up for free. I may plan a look see sometime soon. Waffle houses are always a plus as well.

Washington Oregon may be stretching it for me. Cold can be a problem and on the surface you can always put on more clothes. You can only take off so much to deal with the heat. LOL! Living in Florida I am more acoustomed to heatand humidity than cold.

Keep um coming folks.

Edited by standles

Obviously Phoenix is at the top of the list, but around Toronto there are a large number of clubs within an hours of the city, and you can shoot club night matches just about any night of the week (tues Burlington, Wed Gormley, thurs...) and weekend matches, usually you have to pick from a few, on Sat and Sun.

Here is a provincial calander:

http://www.ipsc-ont.org/cal_2006.htm

Gormley, Barrie, Lakeshore, Sharon (hosted the first North American Championship in '92) Wentworth, Guelph rod and gun, and Burlington ae all within an hours drive of the city..I'd say we keep busy

the Arizona area is undoubtedly described as mecca... but the OH PA, OH, MI area all have places where you can shoot tons of good matches as well as the MD section with an hour and a half or so of travel.

you looking to just play.. a place to move ? what climated do you want, etc. if i were you I would go to AZ i probabally should do that myself. but something about family ties and good old country living keeps me here.