Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best All-around 1911 Grips

Malak

I have a set of VZ Gatorbacks on one pistola and a set of Gunner Grips (by Simonich) on the other.

The VZ's are sexy like Jay said but they absorb oil and solvents and get stained, which is no big deal on a pistol to be used. However, unless I got a mislabeled set, even their thick grips are too thin, enough to need small grip screw bushings.

The Gunners are THICK! I have the TACTICAL desert coyote khaki color on a flat black pistol and it doesn't get any more ninja than that! These grips will draw blood from your hand if you don't use the small piece of sandpaper included in the package to reduce the contact areas. I like them better than the Gatorbacks.

VZ has come out with other styles, check out their website.

What's TruGrip? you ask... CHECK IT OUT HERE.

I haven't tried AlumaGrips with TruGrip but I'm sure it will work great as well as the TruGrip works on Glocks, XDs and others.

PaulW, look forward to see and try your grip design.

$0.02

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The TRUGRIPS cut to fit 1911 Alumagrip panels (so they can be removed), are working real well for me. I used a hole cutting punch to cut holes for the grip screws, although my alignment was a bit off (next time I'll make a template). Although I wouldn't call these a good "all around" grip because the TRUGRIP would be abrasive to the skin for IWB. They are great for competition. The TRUGRIPs are holding up much longer than I had even hoped. I've had 'em on and been using them for months and there's no sign of wear or of loosing their adhesion yet.

To address the loosening of the Aluminum grip screws, I've developed a system that's not too bad. I got a whole bunch of used and "take off" grip screws (bought through gun forums like this). I put some purple Loctite on each screw and let them dry. This can be done quickly and easily "en masse". Whenever a screw becomes loose, I tighten it back up and this seems to hold fine for a while. If I have to remove the screw several times (I have been working on the guns a lot this summer) and I notice that there's not enough Loctite on it to create a firm hold, I replace it with a screw with fresh dried Loctite.

One reason I went to this is because I have two SS 1911s I've been swapping in and out of competition or carry duty and I like the change the MSH and grips depending on the duty. Both have a permanent front strap treatment.

Edited by Eager

well, I found a solution for the time being, I got a FREE pair of Rock Island grips(thanks Andy) smooth wood grips, can't tell what kind of wood they are made of, but how cares, slapped some grip tape on those badboys, what a bargin. I used a gasket hole cutter (the kind you use with a hammer) and it worked really well, nice clean holes, got them centered up on the first shot.

Two foot piece of skatetape: $5

Smooth Rock Island Wood Grips: free

Not loosing your grip on your single stack: Priceless

Thanks for all the advice guys

Edited by Malak

• 2 years later...

I have a set of their (VZ) G10 Operator grips on my STI Trojan and the Wilson G10's on my CQB.

They both have tremendous bite...but could NOT use them for CCW as they would bite off my love handles...ack...

I use them both for SS and have had really good luck. These also do not absorb anything so far. I think the canvas versions are the absorbant ones.

YMMV

I have the simonich gunner grips as sold by Brownell's for $60 on my 45 kimber ss and on my 40 trojan ss.

You can buy the same type grip from nighthawk for another $30 ($90)

I like a very sharp aggressive grip so I love these

Everywhere I go the response from other shooters who try them is very positive

If you do not have good calouses on your hands before you use them, you will get some (my hands came issued with some good calouses)

The grip tape from MLE shooting sports is awesome on the XD and glock

otherwise skateboard tape (the 3 M brand is the best as bought at HD not Lowes, the 3M brand is the best) is my next favorite for every other blaster

• 2 weeks later...

I like rubber. Wether its a set of stock one or houge or any brand I just like the way it feels. I have had alot of the sandpaper type but If i was not going to use rubber I would get the Lazzas. I have not owned them just shot a gun with them once. they are very gripy

Strider gunners are the absolute way if you want the grippiest things you can get your hands around. I use them on all of my 1911's. Using the sandpaper as Nemo suggested does help if you plan on shooting them with bare hands.

I have tru grips on all of my glocks but none of my 1911's so I cannot comment on that setup.

I love my Lazza grips. Aggressive enough for my sweaty mitts.

Dwandspringer01.jpg

dw006.jpg

Those are very nice looking grips.

Is the mag release groove standard or a custom request?

The groove can be requested but it didn't cost me any more than without.

• 2 weeks later...

I have those same "Lazza" Horned Lizard grips on a CBOB, and they are perfect. The Lazza grips stay good looking, the VZs get dirty. The Lazzas are considerably grippier than the VZ Gators I had.

My single stack gun has smooth, pretty, zebrawood grips from Sarge. I have front strap treatments on both, and performance-wise I don't notice a bit difference between the 2 grip types.

Edited by ben b.