Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Father

Matt Cheely

My Father Gerry Cheely is having open heart surgery tomorrow morning at 7:30am to fix a leaky valve in his heart.

We've known for a while that something wasn't quite right with his heart, and I've now been told that it is something that's quite serious. One of the valves in his heart isn't sealing and is allowing 50% of the pumped blood back into his heart. It ends up making the heart weak, and then there it all goes... :(

I thought that I was going to be ok with it, and as the day comes closer and closer, I cannot stop thinking about him. I love my father. He's the one that took me to the range almost every day I wanted since I was 6 years old with a Daisy .22LR. Taught me so many good things in life. How to laugh (especially at me when I hurt myself <_< ) How to love your family, and most importantly, how to shoot! :) He's 55 years old and has many years left of tinkering with his 45-90 Sharps, and coming to shoot IPSC with me.

Most of the great people I have meet in life have been shooters, and it is for this reason that I come here and ask you to pray for my father tonight.

I've put this in quotes and words because even though I can't think of one particular thing he's told me in life, they've all been good.

Edited by Matt Cheely

Thank you for the responses. :) He should have just started the operation and if everything goes to play will be out in 5 hours or so. I'll be trying to keep my mind off of it for the rest of the day. Going to go home to stop by the hospital after work today, he'll still be in the intensive care unit, but I'm sure mom will like the company.

UPDATE:

Just called my mother and she informed me that they were unable to repair his existing valve. They're now in the process of putting in a tissue valve. I have no idea of a time frame so back to waiting.

Thank you for the good wishes both here and over PM. I really appreciate it and it lifts my spirits. :)

Matt,

Good luck, and again from your description of whats going on not at all uncommon. It's a serious procedure but there are literally hundreds of thousands of "OLD" guys walking around with valve work done.

Best wishes again, Craig

Best wishes. My wife currently runs the cardiac catheterization unit at the county hospital, so I know a little about this stuff. Valve replacement is very common and the weapon of choice is typically a porcine (pig) heart valve. As wierd as it sounds, they are better than the mechanical ones and usually work very well long term.

There are many thousands of them in use, it's pretty much a well known procedure.

Hope your father is back up soon.