Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa Stage Design -- Don't Change A Thing For Us!

Carmoney

I've been thinking a lot about this whole issue regarding the future of the the Revolver Division in USPSA, it occurred to me that there might be a concern that as our division grows noticeably, we might create a growing demand for "revolver-neutral" or "revolver-friendly" stage design.

Friends, this is not the case! We don't want it to be made easier for us! We shoot Revolver in USPSA because of the challenge!

Over the past year, I have received communication from several considerate and well-intentioned match directors who want me to know that they put effort into making their match reasonably revolver-friendly (not too many standing reloads and so forth). This especially tends to happen when everybody knows there is a big group of wheelgunners traveling in to shoot the match.

I always try to respond by saying "Thanks so much, but please don't worry about that stuff on our account, we like tough stages and high round count just as much as everybody else!"

Those of us who shoot Revolver in USPSA do it for a reason. If we wanted to shoot matches that are six-round neutral, there are other places for us to go. In fact, we like the mental challenge of breaking down high-round-count stages, and we want to physicially test our coordination by performing frequent reloads, even at inconvenient places. I say, bring it the hell on!

As long as we have our own division, we have our own heads-up "match within a match" going on among the wheelgunners.

I spent a few minutes this moring looking over the stages for the Summer Blast, which is coming up this weekend. Other than the classifier, none of the stages look particularly friendly to the wheelgun. And it's gonna be great! :D The biggest group of USPSA wheelgunners in history is going to converge on York, PA, completely undeterred by the tough stages, and we're gonna go at it!

So, match directors and stage designers, as long as we have our own Division to compete in, don't worry about doing anything special for us, just set it up and we'll find a way to run it with the wheel! :)

Am I right, guys??

I am just getting to the point where the break down of stages is coming to me. I really like having to think these things out and then try to shoot them with the plan I figured out.

To the point, this Sunday, after collecting the money, missing the walkthrough on the first stage, and getting my name drawn as first shooter, I looked quickly at my first stage and said, "Not bad" Eight round neutral works for me FINALLY.

Leave them alone. I come to shoot so the more rounds the better :) With 50 rounds on my belt, I just hope I don't tip over :wacko:

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

+100

"Revolver friendly" stages is what will kill the division, because wheelgunner don't need them and it pisses all the other shooters off. Just go with the 9 round arrays. Reloading is why we do this!

plaaasssee!

i think you guys don't know what you want! first i changed the tn section stages to become revolver friendly to drum up revolver shooter intrest, now i hear 'we don't want revolver neutral'.

i'll get the cheese.

lynn

{snip}

Those of us who shoot Revolver in USPSA do it for a reason. If we wanted to shoot matches that are six-round neutral, there are other places for us to go. In fact, we like the mental challenge of breaking down high-round-count stages, and we want to physicially test our coordination by performing frequent reloads, even at inconvenient places. I say, bring it the hell on!

{snip}

+6 :D

mcb

Keep it as it is. The biggest advantage some revolver shooters have is reloading in under 2.5 seconds. Add that up over a match and there is a great advantage to many for stages that require a lot of reloads.

I know, a lot of guys say they reload in under 2 seconds every time. Great. That's just one more advantage to the high shot count.

Keep the round count up. That's what makes shooting USPSA/IPSC with a revo so interesting. You actually have to think, be flexible in your stage management, and do a bunch of brilliant reloads. A whole heck of a lot more fun then running through with the capacity of a Limited or Open gun. Same reason a lot of folks shoot L10, SS, or Production, over on the semi-auto side of things.

The biggest group of USPSA wheelgunners in history

Really ............ ?

More than '05 Ohio State ???? ;)

Yes, really! We had 20 wheels at the Ohio Sectional last year. At one point I know we were up to 29 for the Summer Blast, but I think a couple have dropped. I'm positive we'll have more than 20, though.

plaaasssee!

i think you guys don't know what you want! first i changed the tn section stages to become revolver friendly to drum up revolver shooter intrest, now i hear 'we don't want revolver neutral'.

i'll get the cheese.

lynn

Did the revolver guys ask for that? Again, very nice of you Lynn, but not necessary as long as we have our own division.

(If we get wrapped into Limited, well, that's another matter.....)

Keep the round count up. That's what makes shooting USPSA/IPSC with a revo so interesting. You actually have to think, be flexible in your stage management, and do a bunch of brilliant reloads. A whole heck of a lot more fun then running through with the capacity of a Limited or Open gun. Same reason a lot of folks shoot L10, SS, or Production, over on the semi-auto side of things.

Exactly right!! :)

see this:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33900

I'll throw on another $10.00 if all the stages are revolver neutral/possible.... :lol:

lynn

lynn, thanks for thinking of us. Waltermitty is not a normal revo shooter. He thinks you have to drop your pants to 'remoon'. If you really want revo's at your match, 2 words:

Free Beer

"Revolver shooters spend more time reloading than shooting." IMHO, that statement applies to any stage that requires us to reload. In other words, it applies to any stage that has more than 6 shots.

So, I don't expect stages to be revolver friendly, or even revolver neutral, but please stay away from being revolver antagonistic. Example of a stage I ran into this past month. Three shooting arrays spread across the bay, separated with vision barriers, with a barrel in front of each array. 4 IPSC array in front of each barrel. All mags/moonclips used on the stage to be taken from atop the barrels, and each array after the first had to be engaged with a mag/moonclip taken from the barrel in front of that array. In other words, pistol shooters were required to do 2 standing reloads (starting with a loaded gun). Revolver shooters had to do those two standing reloads, and a third standing reload before traversing the stage a second time to pick up the 3 targets that couldn't be shot the first time through. At least they didn't require a reload from the barrel each time a different array is engaged! That would have upped the revolver reloads to 5.

I also expect that someone at Sedro Wooley will get the message and set revolver HHFs using the results from Revolver shooters, not a percentage of Limited. That wasn't done for the CM03 series, and I haven't been able to check any other Revolver HHFs except CM06-03 [Can You Count?] in the new set. For CM06-03, every division was assigned the HHF of the top Open shooter setting the standard. At least in the CM06 classifiers I've been able to check, the top scores of the division shooters were used to set the HHFs of that division [for the most part]. Unfortunately, no revolver shooters were in the results I found to date.

I have never heard a revolver shooter say anything good about revolver neutral or revolver friendly stages, that isn't why we shoot revolvers. I would rather listen to chess on the radio than go to a match with 6-6-6-6 shot stages! Make it crazy, make it wild, thats why we shoot revolvers & some people never seem to grasp that.

Time after time all of us have watched a limited shooter start out with 20-21 rounds in his gun & run it empty on a 15-16 round stage at 12 yds, guess what boys, that ain't shootin'!!!! When a shooter needs 4-5-6 extra rounds to complete a stage, anybody guess what he's doing?

Last week at a local match one of the stages was 51 rounds & everybody loved it, thats what makes it fun.

Dick

see this:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33900

I'll throw on another $10.00 if all the stages are revolver neutral/possible.... :lol:

lynn

OK, Lynn, I certainly see your point. As I believe Cliff has already pointed out, Waltermitty is--I just don't know how to put it any other way--quite insane.

lynn, thanks for thinking of us. Waltermitty is not a normal revo shooter. He thinks you have to drop your pants to 'remoon'. If you really want revo's at your match, 2 words:

Free Beer

Hey, that FREE BEER OFFER WORKS FOR OPEN SHOOTERS TOO!!!! :P And a if a "Henry" associate was manning the KEG!!!!! Hell, I might just take quit my day job and take to just shooting matches :D:D

I like Revolver friendly stages. What makes it Revolver Friendly? usually two words..FREE STYLE... or is it FREE BEER... and the ability to engage targets form multiple positions.

I spent a few minutes this moring looking over the stages for the Summer Blast, which is coming up this weekend. Other than the classifier, none of the stages look particularly friendly to the wheelgun. And it's gonna be great! :D The biggest group of USPSA wheelgunners in history is going to converge on York, PA, completely undeterred by the tough stages, and we're gonna go at it!

Am I right, guys??

AMEN Brother Carmoney!!!!

It is ON in York this weekend!!! :)

I love all the stages, even the ones with moonclips on barrels, that one was one of the more memorable. I had a C Class Open shooter comment to me at this weekends match "Not very revolver friendly stage" after I beat him on the stage I said to him "maybe not so Open friendly either huh?"