Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Primers?

thunderstick

I have a stock G21 that I am shooting and I am having a hard time finding Federal Large Pistol Primers. Since I can't seem to find any in stock I am looking for what next works best. I have used Winchester but usually get 2 or 3 per 100 that are light strikes. Any suggestions?

thanks,

I have a stock G21 that I am shooting and I am having a hard time finding Federal Large Pistol Primers. Since I can't seem to find any in stock I am looking for what next works best. I have used Winchester but usually get 2 or 3 per 100 that are light strikes. Any suggestions?

thanks,

I have used Remington primers with reduced striker spring and had no problems.

CCI primers are crap :angry: almost every one gives light strike!

For those of you shooting Winchesters, did you have to do anything to keep from getting light strikes ( spring changes, .etc)? I am running stock springs shooting about 170 pf. I wonder if it is time for a set of spring refresh.

Can't hurt. Put a new recoil and striker spring in it and see if the problem goes away.

While you have the striker out, strip the slide and CLEAN it. I get the nozzle of a can

of brake parts cleaner down in the striker channel and hose it good, then hit it with compressed air, then LOOK to see that there isn't any gunk in there. The Glock will

drop the striker when the gun is slightly out of battery, giving the impression of a light hit.

That's why you replace the recoil spring. Check the safety plunger operation also, if

it doesn't fully release it can drag the striker. You are SURE that the light strikes aren't

caused by high primers?

I know this is a pain, but why not get a Lee Hand primer or the like and hand seat the Winchester primers. I would do a hundred and then load them in the press, and then prime a hundred with the press and then take them out and see ifyou can seat them deeper with the hand primer......Then you will know if it is high primers.

Good luck,

DougC

Glock 21? Google Glock 21 light strikes, there is a bunch of info out there. IIRC, the

cure is a new trigger bar that's a bit longer at the rear? Quite a bit of discussion on this

problem with the G21 at least a year ago.

Im thinking most lite strikes come from primers not seated slightly under flush.

Im almost a 100 percent user of federal primers in ALL my guns...even though they are harder to get/more expensive. i liken it to pump gas(remington, cci and winchester) vs 110 octane racing gas...they are just better for our guns.

Harmon

I have good luck getting Federal primers from Bekirch's in East Rochester, NY. If you live in the east you can generally get delivery on their truck (no hazmat) for a $1000 minimum order, though you'll probably need an FFL or club account. On top of that, they are great people and the driver is a Beikirch's employee who will help you unload, not a union driver who will limit his activities to his formal job description. They also have a walk-in sales counter for those of you near Rochester.

It's also a great place for getting the larger size containers of the mainstream powders (Winchester, Hodgdon, IMR, Alliant - but not VV :( ). I haven't seen to many shops which carry 12lb cans of IMR 7625. They're not a great source of bullets unless you want one of the premium brands (Hornady, Speer, etc.)

There was a thread a few months ago in the Reloading section about Winchester primers and their failure to work from time to time. I have had some problems with Winchester's large rifle primers and large pistol primers, too. My Glock 21 loves Federal and CCI (somewhat surprised that one poster really dislikes CCI).

I do agree on the seating being a real possibility for the genesis of the problem. I noticed a couple of misfires I had on other guns (not my Glock) happened when the primer was just slightly high.

Bob

I got some Fed Primers from powder valley! This is all I will run in my Glocks esp the 21, not a single lite strike yet, even on primers that are not completely seated! Save yourself some agravation, find some federal primers and stick w/ them!

• 2 weeks later...

If your trigger system is modified to give a lighter pull, you probably need to keep using Federals. I have found no other primer that will ignite as easily as the Federals will. Neither WW or Remington will work as well as Federals will in any Glock that is having light strike issues due to lightened trigger pull work.

That said, if your primers are not fully seated in the first place, all bets are off and Federal primers are not the solution, just a bandaid fix for not getting the primers all the way into the primer pocket like they oughta' be.

My G21 has the "short" trigger bar. I use a reduced power striker spring with the stock striker. Have not had a single light strike with Federal or CCI.

The only brass I don't like is S&B. You have to use a lot of pressure to seat the primers correctly.

The only brass I don't like is S&B. You have to use a lot of pressure to seat the primers correctly.

It is true that Sellier&Bellot brass has tight primer pockets and the brass material is much more softer than others.

S&B brass also gets bulged faster.