Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Super-sized My Xl650

I was getting tired of emptying that small akro bin everytime it got full with finished rounds.

So I went to Lowe's and picked up a BIG bin to replace it. The bigger bin doesn't hang on the machine but instead just sits next to the machine just below the finished round chute.

I've included some pics. I placed the old small bin next to the new one just for size comparison.

bin_1.jpg

bin_2.jpg

The new bin works great! The finished rounds just fall into the bin, no other modifications necessary. The big bin can hold more than 1,000 rounds which means you'll have to empty way less often.

Cheap upgrade if you ask me :)

I cut a hole in the bottom of my plastic bin and there's a box sitting under it. Now the plastic bin is more of a funnel. When the box is full I just close up the box and it's ready to go. I have a Hornady LNL so it's a bit different.

Edited by mscott

I did bascially the same thing. Then I had a suspect round make it through into the big bin. Once you have had fun weighing ~800 rounds trying to find the suspect you will see the wisdom in the smaller bin.

standles

I too like to fill the small bin, remove it and replace with an empty one, and comtinue. I have 10 small bins. Thats what I keep my different bullets in to seperate 9 from .40 from .45 or whatever. The 550 bin can hold approx ~ 500 bullets, and approx ~ 200 loaded rounds. It is much easier to weigh 200 rounds than 1000.

I also replced the small bin with a larger one from Lowes. it fits on the strong mount and i use the small bin to support the front. it is one less thing I need to do during a reloading session.

Every time I reload the primers I spot check the rounds in the bin before I put them in a larger bucket, and give the loader a guick look over, gives me a chance to spot problems before I wind up with a bunch of unknowns.------Larry

How do you guys box up your rounds? Do you just dump them into the home-brew version of a 100/250/500 round "bulk pack" or do you package them up into plastic or cardboard boxes with inserts?

I bought some of the cardboard boxes with foam inserts from Midway. It's kind of a tediuous prospect to load 500-1000 rounds into 50-round boxes, but it does give me a chance to spot problem rounds. I haven't spotted a ton, usually it's high primers in new nickel brass, and poorly seated Raineer bullets (which I don't use anymore).

I use plastic folgers cans, I spot check, measure and case guage about 5 rds every 100 as they are put in the cans, then all match ammo is case guaged and primers looked at as I pull it for a match.-----Larry

I have about 2 dozen GI ammo cans. Slap a sticker on the front and write what the contents are. Works great and they stack well.

I dump the loaded cartridges from the 650 or 1050 acco bin into the appropriate ammo can as needed.

I load 500 rd batches and also put them in the plastic coffee can. I typically bring 200 rds to a match and will tray them up in the 50 rd plastic trays from Federal ammo which I get a lot of since the Border Patrol uses them. I then do all the checks and marke them so I know I QC'd them. I have a set of Federal ammo boxes with lables denoting the load data and thay they are for use in an STI only.

Neal in AZ

My loaded match ammo is checed and separated into 100 round Dillon boxes and practice ammo is put in their "border shift" bag. I really like the border shift bag for taking the 300-500 rounds to the range. Very handy.

• 2 weeks later...

I put all my loaded into Dillion / Midway 100 round boxes. Gives me a chance to inspect each round and mark them with my cross code so I have a chance to retrieve them at club matches. If you find .45 ACP with a black / red cross, they are mine. I then put them into vacuume sealed food bags. It's takes up less space, are water proof and easy to throw extras in the car, just in case.

Edited by AGYoung

I experimented with the larger bin and came to the conclusion that keeping the small bin was easier to deal with the occassional "WTF" round. It happens to all of us.

Ammo is stored in military cans for several reasons: ease of storage, weatherproof/moisture resistant, and durability of the container.

For match day I load Dillon 50 rd boxes and conduct quality control inspection. Easier for me to keep track of round counts when loading mags.

If you find .45 ACP with a black / red cross, they are mine.

Or mine! :P

That makes me wonder how expensive/complicated it would be for Starline to sell custom headstamped brass.

Or how many people would be willing to buy a stamper with a custom stamp capable of marking 1 or 5 case heads at a time with their custom mark.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the small bin that came with my 650 for the same reason mentioned several times in this thread: it gives me a chance to screen the ammo in smaller batches. As far as containers, all my boxes are gathering dust now. I have discovered the Nirvana of ammo storage- the Ziploc freezer bag. Airtight, so it keeps the brass shinier, cheap, easy to label, and recylable.

I once vac packed a batch of ammo I was taking to an Area match using one of those kitchen style food saver vacs. You wind up with a really nice looking brick of ammo kinda like those coffee bricks and, even though all your friends will think you're a dork for doing it, you will feel all "tactical" with your vac packed shiny ammo. Might be ok for long term storage but I can't seem to hang on to the stuff long enough to make it worth doing.

I once vac packed a batch of ammo I was taking to an Area match using one of those kitchen style food saver vacs. You wind up with a really nice looking brick of ammo kinda like those coffee bricks and, even though all your friends will think you're a dork for doing it, you will feel all "tactical" with your vac packed shiny ammo. Might be ok for long term storage but I can't seem to hang on to the stuff long enough to make it worth doing.

Probably not a bad idea for ammo you want to keep at a cabin or some other place with poor climate controls, or for a SHTF kind of situation, if you're into that kind of thing.

• 3 weeks later...
When you vac / pack, how long does the vac last? I loose it after 3 / 4 weeks no mater how I seal them.

I do the same thing and I usually don't have any trouble.

Make sure that the bag is really clean where you make the seal, and I always double seal both ends.

I've sealed up quite a bit of stuff with great results, try a poncho, it will almost fit in your back pocket!

• 2 weeks later...

Large plastic soup containers from the chinese restaraunt hold approximately 250 .40 SW rounds :) My wife and I love Hot and Sour soup, so we have a surplus of said containers at the house.