Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Modified Division In Uspsa

BritinUSA

There's an interesting topic over on the IPSC Global Village web-site about potential changes to Modified Division. The division is not growing within IPSC and so some tweaking may be required. One possible solution that is being discussed is allowing .357SIG to make Major, current rules insist on .40 calibre for Major PF.

For those with access the link is here. The discussion has been going on for over a year (off and on).

The challenge of Modified is to basically squeeze an OPEN gun into a little box. The designs and gunsmithing are amazing, some examples of modified guns can be seen at this thread.

So what would it take to get Modified to 'take off' in USA ? Any ideas ?

Edited by BritinUSA

I think in USPSA it might have a few problems

1) Not many, myself included, will see a real need for another open division. I think some people will gladly buy another gun for another division, but over all I doubt you will get to many people to spend the money for it.

2) At least in my area Open itself seem to be pulling back. We have a lot more shooters in Limited and Production then in Open. Heck, most matches L10 beats Open attendance. I don't know why it is, or at least not for sure, but I doubt you will get critical mass for another Open like division.

3) Lets put it in simple terms: Modified = Smaller. Americans = Bigger. Just one of those things.

Overall, I don't think people will see it as suficently different from Open, but thats my opinion based on those who shoot in my state, in other places it may be different.

I've often tinkered with the idea of building a modified gun. Maybe a mid-size Glock with a compensator cut in the slide and barrel with a Doctor optic on it. Maybe if clubs start running IPSC matches here in the US next year, it will catch on...who knows??? :unsure: Bottom line is, that you have to have a match that will recognize it, and for that, you need competitors.

Jeff

Change the min. cal. to 9mm Major and it may take off in the U.S. I would shoot it anyway in 40 if we, USPSA, had the division. Has anyone looked at SV's website lately with the Doctor sight version? swwweeeeetttt!!!!

DaG

I think modified guns are cool. The engineering that goes into them makes it very interesting for me. However, since there's no competition, I wouldn't shoot it. I still want one though...

Ditto.

As for the caliber change, it wouldn't change anything as far as participation. The problem is that it's building ANOTHER gun and as stated above, it's ostensively building a second open gun, with the only "test" being can you engineer it to fit in the box with a mag. You're down on rounds and amount of compensator vs. Open and actually down rounds versus Limited (I think).

So, it's a tough sell. I would see a rise in participation before a World Shoot or other major international match, but other than that, the increase is pretty slim. The last time I saw a guy shoot Modified was Kurt Gaskill a bunch of years ago at Area 2, and due to low turn out, had to shoot in Open Division. He still did well.

Rich

It won't happen in the US.

(Edit) I should clarify, it won't happen in USPSA. Those folks who wish to run IPSC matches under our new format of course, could include Modified.

Gary

Edited by Gary Stevens

357 SIG to make it more popular??? I'm not following the logic there.

To allow those countries with a 9mm/.356" upper limit for legal calibers to shoot major when attending IPSC matches (Australia, Argentina, Denmark, Singapore and so on).

Up to now, they're forced to shoot minor, thus Modified might not be that much appealing to them. ;)

I shot Modified for a while, and even went to two World Shoots shooting it. We had a highwater mark of five (count 'em, 5) shooters in Modified at Nationals one year. I had my gun fall out of my ##$&^&*((@#^#$#^%$%^(*&^&*))*&%&^#%$@%$^* holster (can you tell I'm still pissed?) which dropped us to four, no recognition, no National title for me.

The next year there were none.

Internationally it gets respect, and is highly contested. Here in the US, the Modified shooters make us wheelgunners look mainstream.

Could it be revived? Sure. Find four good Open shooters here in the US, form your own US Modified Team, go to the World Shoot in Bali, and come back with medals. With the promise of loot and glory (well, OK, glory) you can convince more shooters to try it.

If adjusting caliber allows for more shooters Internationally, I have no objections. It's not like they'd gain any capacity advantage. 9mm Major? I don't see it happening, however, the weight restriction on airlines just might make that happen. You think they're blasty now? Wait until after Sigs (and if the rule changes) 9mm/Supers show up.

I for one think it would be a blast to shoot Modified (God knows I need a reason for another pistol). I think technically they would be full of challenges and they look absolutely tough to my eye.

But right now it is simply a chicken/egg arguement. Why would someone build a "non competitive" open gun for 3k without a division to shoot it in? On the other hand why start a division when noone owns the hardware to compete in it?

(Edit) I should clarify, it won't happen in USPSA. Those folks who wish to run IPSC matches under our new format of course, could include Modified.

Gary

:wacko: I thought the new format said that USPSA would run some IPSC rules matches, not "those folks".

The United States Practical Shooting Association will offer and promote IPSC

competition within the United States, in accordance with IPSC rules, and in doing so

fully satisfies its obligations under the IPSC constitution and affiliation agreement.

Gary

:wacko: I thought the new format said that USPSA would run some IPSC rules matches, not "those folks".

The United States Practical Shooting Association will offer and promote IPSC

competition within the United States, in accordance with IPSC rules, and in doing so

fully satisfies its obligations under the IPSC constitution and affiliation agreement.

Hi Vince. Don't be so shy. You should post more often.

:D

Could it be revived? Sure. Find four good Open shooters here in the US, form your own US Modified Team, go to the World Shoot in Bali, and come back with medals. With the promise of loot and glory (well, OK, glory) you can convince more shooters to try it.

Sounds like a good plan!