Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Proposed Modifications To Us Revolver Division Rules

Carmoney

I'll add my Thank you too!!!! to whom ever deserves it. ;)

Now that the BOD has been kind enough to give us some room to experiment with equipment, we need to improve the numbers for sure.........not only at the Nationals but at all levels........that makes it up to YOU to get out and get more participation in your neck of the woods. If only for a second gun at the local matches........it does add up and hopefully it will show. ;)

Hopalong

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 Authorized modifications External modifications

Internal modifications

I add my thanks also. Can someone clarify this? Are All modifications allowed in these proposed rule changes?

Guess I am just a little thick :wacko:

That part got me too Gary....but I think the clarification should be asked for over on the USPSA forum.

And a thanks from myself also, this whole thing started from Hdgun's little holes in his underlug

to my fully whittled away 610 barrel, who would have thunk it would have gotten to this :wacko:

So now we can basically create the revolver we asked the manufactures to make and be legal in 2008.

Guess I have to see how the IPSC rules are shaping up.

We are tackling the same issue on the international side of things (IPSC) over on the Global Village. See link:

Revolver Standard Division...Proposed Rule Changes

These changes simply make sense, and if our division is to grow, we need these changes. It will allow more cross-over from other sports like ICORE, Steel Challenge and IDPA if we do so. It looks like we may get it done by February and they will be initiated pretty quick the way things are going. Everybody generally agrees on what we are doing here in the US. Viva La REVOlution!!! ;)

Edited by Barrettone

Can I be an honarary member of the "Royal Order of the Wheelgunner" for my good work :D

Gary

You probably deserve it for your efforts, but, I want to say consider your USPSA revolver classification card your acceptance notification B) ....Try it, you'll like it (if you haven't already)

And thank you for what I understand is the evening of the playing field in Production, if I understand correctly

Edited by underlug

Gary and Mike,

Thanks for your efforts to make all of our shooting experiences better. We all appreciate those who are willing to work, so that others may play.

Gary for your most excellent work we welcome you to the Knights of the Round Moon!

Go forth and spin unto others.

Knights of the Round Moon :lol: Here in Kentucky we only know about crecent moons on the little house out back B)

I am caught in one of those darn USPSA policies on my revolver classification. I finally got my 625 working right, but let's face it, to get good with a revolver it takes a lot of work. Just look at Barretone, as an example of what I am talking about :lol:

When I do have a decent run with the wheel gun, I can't break the 60 percent bottom line barrier because of my "A" classifications in other division. Therefore all my better scores get trashed. I inherited a "B" classification and may die with it :ph34r:

I may try to dedicate some more time to that venture in 2007 when I am not tied up with other issues.

Gary

Edited by Gary Stevens

Gary,

Thanks for going to bat for us roundgunners. We appreciate it. You coming up for Area 5 again? We could get a revolver squad going and you could be apart of it. I will loan you anything you need.

Tom

Now Tom,

Don't let that hillbilly from Kentucky con you out of your gear. I have it on good authority that out illustrious Area 5 Director has all that is necessary to compete (AND THEN SOME). Them southern folk lie in the weeds just'a waitin' for unsuspectin' yankees who'll "share" their gear. :ph34r: Then come the puppy-dog eyes and the "I wish I could afford this..." lines and next thing you know, you're shootin' Level I's with a BB gun in Open Division comin' from low ready. Besides...he's been baggin' "A" in Production and Single Stack long enough...he needs to earn his supper for a change. :P (Remember that old addage: "Dumb as a hillbilly...sly as a fox")

Seriously though, Gary did us a HUGE favor by championing our cause. I think a steak and a beer at the next major would be fitting. ;)

Edited by Barrettone

Can I be an honarary member of the "Royal Order of the Wheelgunner" for my good work :D

Gary

Gary,

Thanks for going to bat for us roundgunners. We appreciate it. You coming up for Area 5 again? We could get a revolver squad going and you could be apart of it. I will loan you anything you need.Tom

Me too Gary, if your in the Northeast for any shoots.

Now that a thousand minor rules debates have broken out over on the USPSA forum, I am really gratified and proud of the way Revolver Division managed to handle its equipment rules issues. Instead of a bunch of unproductive angry reaction after the fact, we (1) identified the issues beforehand, (2) had a constructive discussion about them, (3) obtained a consensus and developed a plan, and (4) communicated the plan clearly and professionally to the decision-makers, in a timely manner.

And now our consensus proposals have been incorporated, essentially verbatim, into the draft rules. With no angry debate anywhere to be seen.

I realize that being a smaller (yet probably more enthusiastic and involved) group may have made it somewhat easier for us to pull this off. And we did have a helpful sponsor in Gary Stevens. But I think we should all congratulate ourselves for providing a model example of how things should be done.

Good job, everybody.

Edited by Carmoney

Now that a thousand minor rules debates have broken out over on the USPSA forum, I am really gratified and proud of the way Revolver Division managed to handle its equipment rules issues. Instead of a bunch of unproductive angry reaction after the fact, we (1) identified the issues beforehand, (2) had a constructive discussion about them, (3) obtained a consensus and developed a plan, and (4) communicated the plan clearly and professionally to the decision-makers, in a timely manner.

And now our consensus proposals have been incorporated, essentially verbatim, into the draft rules. With no angry debate anywhere to be seen.

I realize that being a smaller (yet probably more enthusiastic and involved) group may have made it somewhat easier for us to pull this off. And we did have a helpful sponsor in Gary Stevens. But I think we should all congratulate ourselves for providing a model example of how things should be done.

Good job, everybody.

Here, Here...I couldn't agree more!!! B)

+1 and a million more to Mike for taking the lead on this- incredible how a bunch of proactive proposals have kept us all happy, with common sense now seemingly ready to be applied to our rules.

Thanks to all in Sedro- via computer or otherwise- for letting Gary's leadership keep us from needing to be as, um, verbal (?) as some of the others seem to be at the USPSA forums.

Many happy REVOlutions to come!

I say screw the max round capacity of six. A wheel is a wheel!! Just because someone can make a 8 shot whel work and have an advatage over the 6 shot wheel you use is no reason to be mad.

once again a wheel is a wheel. so if it is a revolver then let them play.. unless it's a 22 then they can shoot fun steel.

I say screw the max round capacity of six. A wheel is a wheel!! Just because someone can make a 8 shot whel work and have an advatage over the 6 shot wheel you use is no reason to be mad.

once again a wheel is a wheel. so if it is a revolver then let them play.. unless it's a 22 then they can shoot fun steel.

I believe the vast majority of USPSA shooters who are active in Revolver Division support the six round rule, however the new draft rules (if adopted) will open the door to more guns and more modifications, which should mean more wheelgun shooters.

Since you brought up the subject, Casey, I've always thought it might be interesting to allow 8-round revolvers to shoot all 8 between reloads, but limit them to minor scoring--in similar fashion to the provisional Single Stack 1911 Division. The shooter has to decide before the match whether he/she is better off with the two extra rounds, or the major scoring and the slightly faster reloads of the 6-shooter.

I considered experimenting with this idea in last year's Iowa Revolver-Only match, but decided it was more important to keep the match USPSA-sanctioned and legitimate. So this remains purely an academic discussion.

At most USPSA matches, the 8 shooters would beat the 6 shooters. 8 round arrays are the norm at most matches. It might not be that big from 8 to 10, the difference from 6 to 8 would be a lot of standing reloads. .

Plus revolver shooters are usually a little more careful on getting points, so the Major/Minor thing isn't that big if you're both getting lots of A's.

Don't forget the advantage an eight shooter gives you on arrays of six pieces of steel, or a Texas Star. Six pieces of steel in one array is very common.

Eight shots also really opens up possibilities when it comes to shooting an array with activating and static targets. The ability to engage TWO static targets prior to engaging a slow activating target is big.

Great idea and I'd have to admit I would jump at the chance to use my 627 in Revolver Div. (and all 8 rounds) but here's the problem I see. The 8shot/minor vs 6shot/major maybe worth discussion but what about all the people who have 6 shot 38 & 357 revolvers that might want to try out the division without having spend a lot. Especially important with all the effort to grow the division, keep in mind that the 6 shot 38 & 357 is the most common revolver there is. This is why I believe the division should always be 6shot/reload, the 627 can still be used in all the other divisions except SS.

Just my opinion ;)

JV

Edited by Jerry V

I am 100% in favor of 8 shot revos being minor and the 6 shoot guys having the option of minor/major. Not that my opinion matters to anyone but me.

It might get a few ICORE guys out with their ~120pf 627s.

SS Division set the round count precedent thing...

Great idea and I'd have to admit I would jump at the chance to use my 627 in Revolver Div. (and all 8 rounds) but here's the problem I see. The 8shot/minor vs 6shot/major maybe worth discussion but what about all the people who have 6 shot 38 & 357 revolvers that might want to try out the division without having spend a lot. Especially important with all the effort to grow the division, keep in mind that the 6 shot 38 & 357 is the most common revolver there is. This is why I believe the division should always be 6shot/reload, the 627 can still be used in all the other divisions except SS.

Just my opinion ;)

JV

Jerry - I really think that this is similar to worrying about whether a CoF is revolver-friendly. We've gotten over the fact that many CoF designers ignore revolvers and their "limitations". Stressing over whether we need to keep the division six-shot centric is, IMO, wasted energy. And this is coming from a guy who shoots a S&W M14 in USPSA and a M10 in IDPA. :)