Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carrying Equipment At A Match

aerosigns

I have seen three wheel carts, suit case strollers, Milk crates on a dolly.

Does anyone have any good finds for carting your equipment around at a shoot? Pictures or part numbers would be nice if you know them.

I have looked at some of the large plastic tool boxes with wheels, and attached extending handle. Figured the box could carry lunch, and be a good place to sit on some of the long days.

Jim

Jim,

I just got a collaspable cart from CED. For local matches I use a red wagon to put stuff in, but for the matches that I travel to on the bike I needed something that would travel well on the bike. It looks pretty decent. More of a dolly type of carrier. Put range bag on first and then you could stack coolers etc on top. Paid $75 with shipping included. For nationals this year I think I am going to break down and get a golf cart. I should have it along next weekend for the Northern Flatlander Sectional. :o See you next week-end.

Tom

I use a Craftsman roll-a-round tool box. Works pretty good but I ended up building a metal base and mounting bigger rubber wheels so it rolls better in gravel. The bottom holds a gun, ammo, shoes, TP. The middle shelf holds my first aid kit, towel, hand wipes, safety glasses, ear muffs. The top shelf holds some spare parts, mag brush, mags, and mag loader.

And I can sit on it too!

I use an I-Shot Range Rug. There's a blanket of comfort that comes from carrying a watered down version of your home gun shop with you to every stage but it's not really worth it.

Unless you're talking about 3-Gun and then I use a '98 Toyota Tacoma. I can fit most of the required gear in one of those.

I have seen three wheel carts, suit case strollers, Milk crates on a dolly.

Does anyone have any good finds for carting your equipment around at a shoot? Pictures or part numbers would be nice if you know them.

I have looked at some of the large plastic tool boxes with wheels, and attached extending handle. Figured the box could carry lunch, and be a good place to sit on some of the long days.

Jim

I use a cart from www.ruggedgear.com. It's desighned for 3-gun but works great foe IPSC matches.

I used to spend alot of time trying to figure out a way to carry all my stuff. I got tired and frustrated, so I gave up.

Was able to pick up one of the large Shooters Connection bags at Doubletap and if you can't get everything in that bag, then you carry too much. I'm able to get a whole bunch of tools/spare parts, magazines, ammo, an insulated beverage container and all kinds of other stuff. It comes with a big, heavy-duty strap to carry it with.

If your dead-set on a cart, pick up one of those green lawn carts at Home Depot or one of those fly-by-night tool sales, they work great.

Our local Lowes had one of these without the sides on it. My wife and I put both of our stuff on it and take turns pulling it around... (Although, I seem to have trained her to do most of the pulling as some of the guys at the SS/Prod match will tell you... ;) )

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...9180&lpage=none

Sorry I can't find the exact model we have without the sides. It was only $50... You might be able to take the sides off of this one. Primarily we did not want the sides so it would fit in the car.

Good luck,

Ira

Edited by iweiny

That is the model that i bought got it at Wal-Mart in the Garden shop. the sides fold down and can be taken off quickly. the sides are held on with cotter pins.

This holds 2 large range bags, cooler, chairs, etc. Going to work on a way to fix a large umbrella to it!

with the sides folded down i can fit this into the trunk of my Honda Accord!

Edited by basman

Our local Lowes had one of these without the sides on it. My wife and I put both of our stuff on it and take turns pulling it around... (Although, I seem to have trained her to do most of the pulling as some of the guys at the SS/Prod match will tell you... ;) )

Sorry I can't find the exact model we have without the sides. It was only $50... You might be able to take the sides off of this one. Primarily we did not want the sides so it would fit in the car.

Good luck,

Ira

I just got that cart with the sides on sale at Lowes a couple weeks ago. It's big (2' x 4'), heavy, and very yellow! It's a little cumbersome getting in and out of the truck, but it hauls everything I need at 3 gun matches, including a big ice chest. I like that it has a trailer attachment for hooking on to my lawn tractor. That will come in handy out in the yard. :)

THere is a second thread about this subject running over in Three-Gun

I posted the following there

Baby's R Us, get the Extreme Cart for about $99. Go or Web shop at Cabellas for ATV Gun Racks, get 2 sets.

Total invested about $160 or so.

Time about 1 hour, the cart seat folds nearly flat so it holds a large Shooting bag, there are ttwo net bags under the cart that work well for empty bullet boxes and knee pads etc.

I can easily carry two long guns and a pistol on this rig.

Last week we shot steel, I had two pistols and ammo for both, then in the afternoon we shot again, this time shotgun and 22 rifle, again more than ample space.

The Rugged Gear carts are maybe a bit heavier than this cart and I do like the pin that goes thru the hing, but the Rugged Gear cart will not easily fit a large bag. It was designed, not for three gun, but rather for Clays. The seat area is stepped to hold boxes of shot shells.

Very nice unit, but expensive. Alos, the front wheel of the Expedition cart is mounted to the steel tubes of the cart as opposed to a plastic molded part.

The only tools you need to build the cart I have are a 7/16 wrench, a large screwdriver and maybe a saw to cut off the mount for the baby sunshade. the mount gets in the way of your long guns.

One other thing, the Rugged Gear cart carries your long gun "Inside" which places them over the place where you put your bag. If you do what I did, the mounts fo r the long guns are outside so your bag is fully accessible.

Jim Norman

Jim

I have one of these. At nationals I placed a medium size cooler on the bottom , held in place with a bunge cord, and then my range bag on top of that with another bunge cord. I can still get into the range bag while attached to the cart. Remove bag and I have a seat. The cart folds up to about 3" thick and fits easly in the trunk or behind seat in a truck.

Mark

I found this cart at Harbor Freight on sale for $39.

It's aluminum and folds up flat as a pancake. Thinking about taking a look at it this week.

FOLDING ALUMINUM HAND TRUCK / ITEM 92709-0VGA

hand_cart.bmp

Anyone try using one of these?

Jim

I use one of these folding hand trucks and use bungi cords to fasten a 5 gallon bucket with a tool orginizer. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...2036&lpage=none It has pockets for mags, water bottles, etc.

I saw this awesome cart this past weekend at the Carolina Cup.

The guy using it had a patio umbrella in the fishing rod holder.

I'll be picking mine up in a few days.

It's called the Reels on Wheels Jr. Utility Cart and it's available at Bass Pro Shops for $149.88

Here's the rundown from the BassPro web page:

A lighter and smaller version of the highly versatile Reels on Wheels. 10" shorter and 2" narrower, but the same rugged toughness as its big brother. Features 4" x 14" inflatable pneumatic tires, a removable handle, locking 3rd. wheel, and a food-grade cutting board. Weighs just 18 lbs. Frame size: 20" x 40".

And a link to where to find it:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.Tex...arTarget=browse

post-7251-1149834505_thumb.jpg

Nice if you have a truck!

I have one like the CED/harbor freight one. Tried it out at a training session I had a few weeks ago. I like it, but would go with a cooler or something on the bottom as the plate itself rests on the ground, no elevation to protect the bag in muddy or wet conditions.

Might consider attaching something to the bottom to raise it a tad.

Velcro straps hold a folding stool, plenty of room to attach things. May try it at A8 as there is no going back to your car for things due to the parking and layout of the range.

Edited by vluc

VLUC,

You bring up a good point about not going back to the car.

I have been at a couple of matches where I was starting to worry about needing additional ammo. Of course this only happens when you are at the absolute extreme distant bay from where you parked.

I picked up a small hand cart at Wal-mart :) yesterday to test out. It was $15 in the luggage Dept. Has 4" wheels, telescopes, all that kind of stuff.

I also found the same cart that Harbor Freight sells, for the same price at Wal-mart.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3619882

Just in case someone doesn't have an actual Harbor Freight Store in the town.

Now I have to find the right kind of cooler to strap onto this rolling pleasure barge.

(By the way, does the green book say anything about taking your cart on the course with you and using it for a rest when your firing long distance?)

Jim

This Is "THE" Range Wagon, Has 16" Front Lawn Tractor Tires all around, a 9 foot Market Shade, A Ice Chest, Place for two Shooters Connection Bags, Has a 12 volt Trolling Battery under neath and an a Evaporative Cooler that Puts out 82 Degree Air at 100 degrees and 30% humidity AHHHHH! (Not Pictured), a 12 Volt Fan if you don't bring the Cooler and a Fold Up Chair Attached to the Back. and My grnad Kids love it when we are not at the Range!

post-1794-1149879317_thumb.jpg

Edited by scorch

I have one of the fishing carts like the one from Cabela's. I used the 1 1/2" heavy walled PVC to make a rack for my long guns for 3 gun matches. It will fit right in the rod holders if you take the rubber caps off. It will hold a good sized cooler, a large range bag, ammo conatiners and my rifle and shotgun. If you do a web search for a surf or pier fishing cart you can find them for less than Cabela's price.