Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holsters (beginner Question)

hidurango

I don't have the model/brand you are asking about... My Safariland paddle is comfortable and has a hook that keeps it in place very well. It is pretty fast and easy on the gun's finish. With that being said - IMHO - nothing comes close to the DOH. It is the best of the best.

As a beginner please stay away from the Fobus products. There are at least two other options for no more money but offer much better performance.

Try these

Blade Tech

Uncle Mike's

Now for a simply great holster Merlin is right. The Bladetech DOH leaves very little to be desired.

Good luck, Craig

Edited by smokshwn

As a beginner please stay away from the Fobus products. There are at least two other options for no more money but offer much better performance.

Try these

Blade Tech

Uncle Mike's

Now for a simply great holster Merlin is right. The Bladetech DOH leaves very little to be desired.

Good luck, Craig

any particular reason fobus is bad?

Soft plastic, built cheaply, and the molds are not always true. That means that your gun may or may not fit correctly, the attachments may break (not very often, but I have one on which the paddle to holster mounts got loose) and it will bend and flop when you draw.

Over all, the Fobus holsters hold your gun in, won't drop it, and after a bit of practice you can even draw it out. They work, just not very well. For a bit more money the Uncle Mike's ones are a lot better, and for a bit more, the Bladetech rock. In the long run you will want a bladetech anyway, so you might just well buy one to start with it.

On the other hand, I use the Fobus mag pouches, and I have no problems with them, the belt slide style again. The paddles just get in the way.

There is nothing wrong with the fobus if that is what you already have. I can draw my glock out of it just as fast and clean as any other good-verygood production shooters.

The most important thing you need is Practice! It is the only thing we get that is free.

If you didn't order yet I would get the Bladetech.

Brian

There is nothing wrong with the fobus if that is what you already have. I can draw my glock out of it just as fast and clean as any other good-verygood production shooters.

The most important thing you need is Practice! It is the only thing we get that is free.

If you didn't order yet I would get the Bladetech.

Brian

Yes I have already ordered it and I will try it and see how it works and try bending and see if it is a problem.

Thanks everyone for their advice. I am trying to keep the price down.

I'll admit the the Glock fobus holster work better then the rest of their lineup, most likely because the Glock is a simpler shape.

I don't really have much of a preference regarding paddle or belt configuration. If I can leave it attached to the belt (I use a CR Speed belt) I prefer the belt loop configuration. If I am using a regular belt and have to remove it I prefer a paddle style. I don't seem to have a problem with the paddle ones pinching or binding. Both are so tight that it takes two hands to remove them. :huh:

That said, here are the holsters I routinely use for USPSA:

L-10/SS Blade Tech DOH belt holster (what I currently use and prefer)

Uncle Mike's paddle holster (what I started with)

Production XD-Gear paddle holster (provided as part of Springfield package on both my XDs)

I greatly prefer the DOH for my .45 single stack pistols. The XD-Gear holster can be configured to closely mimic the DOH configuration so I haven't needed to buy a Blade Tech for my XDs. However, if I wouldn't hesitate to buy a DOH if the XD Gear holster was lost.

Edited by XD Niner

The trick to the Fobus is to pull the gun out at the same angle as the holster holds it. If you pull it out differently, it seems to hnag up.

Mine hung up so bad when drawing a 1911 once, the holster was still on the gun when I pointed it at the target. An uncomfortable lesson to learn....

Uncle Mike's Kydex belt holsters are generally cheaper than Fobus, are neutral in degree of cant, and have the bonus of two tension adjusting screws.

Also, I've seen more Fobus flying holsters after the start beep...

Had a fobus for my CZ-75. I will never buy another. It broke the night before my first match while I was practicing. I went to gander mt. and bought a cheap nylon holster that has served me well. Now I want a Bladetech DOH.