Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Glock For Ccw

urnsrus

At this point, the 23 and/or the 27 seems my pick. However, the new GAP models appeal to me too. Why doesn't Glock's web site show their new GAP guns?

Dunno but I had a chance to shoot the baby GAP Glock, very nice. Still 10 rounds of .40S&W in the G27 to go along with the G23, the 45 GAP never had a chance. It's basically a G27 in a different caliber.

IMO the whole reason the GAP was developed was to put a .45 caliber round on the small frame.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know how you could NOT trust a Glock! Oh well, each to his own.

I usually carry either the 23 (carried one on and off duty for about 12 years), a 27, or a 36. Lately I've been partial to the 36 (single stack 45 ACP). It conceals well and is comfortable to carry since it doesn't feel like it sticks into my side so much.

• 1 month later...

Keeping in mind that my opinions are based completely on non-concealed carry, as I live in the great state of IL, my arrival at the ideal carry Glock is rather like Goldilocks. My full-sized Glocks were clearly too large for the task. I borrowed and used the G30 and G27. The former was too bulky, and both of these minis didn't support the little finger except with add-ons. Not a big deal for some, but a non-starter for me. That left the G23, since 9mm is not an option. It seems to hit all the marks for me, and very well.

Currently own a model 19 and won a certificate for a free Glock. In your humble opinion, what is the best for CCW: 27,30,29, or 23....or....something else?

Now that there's already been a ton of great advice from some really knowledgeable people,

my .02 (inflation adjusted):

Get something you will use in competition.

Not for the "tactical" experience, but for the gunhandling experience.

If you already compete with your G19, then don't get something different to carry -- carry the 19 and either get a new one just for S&G's, or a backup 19. (Edited comment) If your competition 19 is modified, you might want the 19 you carry to be box-stock.

My free advice -- worth every dime. :rolleyes:

Edited by Punkin Chunker

If I had the right to carry a gun, I would buy the same gun I compete with (or vice versa).

Why not buy a G19 for competition, so you have the competition gun you don't really have to look after (reliability wise). And you can carry the gun that gets least use. Set them up identically and you won't really notice the difference.

I carry a G27, I didn't like the short grip so I installed the plus two base pad and now I love the feel of the gun. It is very concealable, I carry a extra mag from a G23 so I have plenty of ammo if I need it. 12 in the gun and 15 on my belt. (I have a plus two base pad on the extra mag also.)

I also carry a G-27. I wanted somthing with enough stopping power, and I already shooting .40 in limited. Living in southern Nevada, I also needed something which is very concealable because it gets so damn hot here in the summer.

In the colder months I carry a Glock 22 in a Kramer vertical belt scabbard and a G27 in an Alessi ankle rig. When it warms up I switch to a G23 in another Kramer VBS (still keep the G27).

If I had to pick just one I'd probably go with the G23, but it would be tempting to go with the G27. I shoot my 27 nearly as well as my 23, but the reloads are pretty slow. When I'm wearing just one gun 98% of the time it's the 23. R,

• 2 weeks later...
Stick with the 19. Best Glock made. Use the certificate for something bigger like a 17 or 34.

I agree. If you don't want to front any more money with the cert just go with a 17. Great for competition, good for winter carry if you can work around the longer grip.

Having carried a Kahr P40 Covert, i'll looking at closing a deal on a G26. I'm about 6' 1" 225 lbs and could hide larger, but i'm trying to stick with one caliber and one brand. If 11 rounds of 400+ ft/lbs doesn't do the job, i should have brought the 500 Mag! I may consider a G20(SF, hopefully) for an open woods carry at some point too. Would also make a good .40 competition platform...

I never heard anyone say a 34 would be a good carry gun, so I'm saying it now.

I carried a Glock 34 for about four years. Shot it in USPSA and IDPA. My previous carry gun had been a full-sized 1911 .45, and my attitude was, "If I can carry and conceal a 1911, I can carry and conceal a Glock 34." The main difference, of course, being the G34 was just one hell of a lot lighter. Recently I switched to a Glock 17 for carry and match use, not because I had a problem with the G34, but just because I like the idea of competing with the least common denominator handgun. Shoot a near-stock G17 in competition, certainly no one can accuse you of beating them with esoteric equipment/buying the win!

• 4 weeks later...

like most of the old guys on the forum, the search for the perfect carry gun is like search for the Holy Grail.... I made my decision before the small 45's and 357Sigs were out, and went the system route for the Florida weather... settled on 3 guns

Glock 23 with Trijicon night sights

small "mans" leather shoulder bag.... yea yea I know

extra mag

SureFire 6P

OC spray

(a 16inch ASP will fit too)

SW442 for nightly walks, Fobus Paddle

Beretta 21 in rimfire, Andrews left handed pocket holster..flat side out

regards Les