• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 Leatham, Robbie L684 GM Single Stack Major N N 906.0061 100.00%

2 Jarrett, Todd L2458 GM Single Stack Major N N 871.7778 96.22%

3 Sevigny, Dave TY42164 GM Single Stack Major N N 808.5440 89.24%

4 Butler, Taran L2354 GM Single Stack Minor N N 804.6353 88.81%

Speaking of scoring minor, still came in 4th place :) damn

If anyone happened to come across a Safariland rig on stage 8 on Saturday afternoon, I will need it back before next years match. About the time I pulled into the driveway it dawned on me that I left it there.

Thanks,

Rich

Speaking of scoring minor, still came in 4th place :) damn

If the rule of thumb re: minor costing 10% of match points is true, he'd have been 2nd, if he'd been shooting Major... :)

Congratulations Rob!

And yes, I talked to Tarran soon after he was done shooting, and he said he chrono'd at something like .001 under the PF. That just stinks. But he was real happy with his match - said he "railed" quite a few stages.

:(

I must disagree with you Kelly, I believe that stage 9 was the true test of the serious afficianodo of the 1911..........

Steve

They both were good challenges so I'm not sure which one I'd say was THE true test but I agree with Kelly about one thing....I didn't like stage #4 (partially because I screwed it up). Kelly and Steve both shot well as well as Mike L. Rio Solado shooters represented themselves well there. Kelly N. finished 9th overall (with a stage win), Steve H. was 20th overall, Mike L. was 15th overall (2nd A class), I finished down the list at 53rd but I won C class and the XD side match, and of course TGO took it all. These are all Rio shooters. I love shooting against these guys and watching them every week at Rio because they only make me better. Great match and I can't wait til Sept.

Jason

Great match in spite of shooting in the rain. And in spite of my Springfield crashing on 4 of the first 5 stages I shot. Had to switch guns and finish with a borrowed Kimber.

I do hope this counts towards classification. I noticed some shot scores well above their classification. Like the top 2 "D" shooters shooting "B" class scores........... Everyone can have an exceptional match now and then but this was pretty obvious they didn't belong in "D" class to begin with.

I have few questions:

What made Stage 12 so special (and 9 for that matter)?

If you had to summarize the weather, both overall and each day, how would it go?

How did most people seem to like the match?

I'm a bit confused. Was this simply the 1911 Single Stack Classic as run each year? I notice that it's also advertised as the "Single Stack Nationals." Did it get USPSA recognition as a Nationals this year due to the provisional SS division? Or has that always been the case?

I've heard that Richard Heinie was MD. I've read the SSC was developed by Heinie and Russell Cluver. Is Cluver still a part of running the SSC or has he fallen off? If so, when did that happen?

Enquiring minds what to know. (At least, my enquiring mind. ;)

I have few questions:

If you had to summarize the weather, both overall and each day, how would it go?

How did most people seem to like the match?

I'm a bit confused. Was this simply the 1911 Single Stack Classic as run each year? I notice that it's also advertised as the "Single Stack Nationals." Did it get USPSA recognition as a Nationals this year due to the provisional SS division? Or has that always been the case?

I've heard that Richard Heinie was MD. I've read the SSC was developed by Heinie and Russell Cluver. Is Cluver still a part of running the SSC or has he fallen off? If so, when did that happen?

Enquiring minds what to know. (At least, my enquiring mind. ;)

Stage 9 had two IPSC and 6 poppers. Engage either the IPSC or Poppers, mandatory reload, and then the other array. It was a great speed stage.

Stage 12 had 3 popper-activated drop out targets and two popper activated disappearing drop turners. Add a sitting at the table start and a door to open and it was a fun field course.

Everyone I talked to liked the match, whether they did well or not.

Friday was definately the day to shoot. Rain didn't start until after everyone was done. Saturday started in the rain and didn't quit until after lunch. So Saturday shooters shot at least half the stages in the rain. The rain did make several mudholes on some of the stages, making footing slick. Stages 7 and 8 seemed to be a couple of the worst ones for mud we encountered.

Stage 7 was especially bad due to the odd angle of the port and fault line. Several shooters slipped and tripped on the wooden fault line trying to shoot through the port. This stage also seemed to have a potential 180 issue designed in.

Plastic on targets is always a disadvantage but the odd rain cover for the targets on Stage 4 made for somewhat distorted sight picture. The plastic was actually a ways in front of the targets, causing the targets to appear distorted and blurred in the rain.

Both stages 4 and 7 could have been designed better with just a slight modification, but that's just my opinion.

This match was kind of a mesh of the traditional SSC and rules from the provisional SS division. The checking of your gun and serial number was new this year and for the most part a joke. Several of the stages we shot, the ROs didn't bother with it, while other ROs on other stages did all the steps. I know it was to verify those shooting Springfields but it was not handled consistantly and a dishonest shooter could have easily circumvented the check.

I think I kind of liked it better before the USPSA dipped into it.

As for Richard and Russell, both were there working the match.

Not that I had to worry about winning the Springfield pistol, however, it seems unfair to only make a prize available to only some of the competitors. Moreover, doesn't it make more sense to give a Springfield away to someone that DIDN'T shoot a Springfield? ...after all, it's the Kimber guys like me that need to be converted, right? :)

Darren

The checking of your gun and serial number was new this year and for the most part a joke. Several of the stages we shot, the ROs didn't bother with it, while other ROs on other stages did all the steps. I know it was to verify those shooting Springfields but it was not handled consistantly and a dishonest shooter could have easily circumvented the check.

I was one who specifically purchased a Springfield Loaded in order to shoot last year's SSC and be eligible for the special contingency prizes. (It turned out to be an excellent gun, by the way!)

As soon as I got to last year's match and saw how much effort, time, and money the folks at Springfield Armory had put into this match since taking it over, any momentary thought of resentment went out the window.

You can't name another company who has done more to support the competitive shooting sports over the past 20 years than Springfield Armory.

I must disagree with you Kelly, I believe that stage 9 was the true test of the serious afficianodo of the 1911..........

Steve

They both were good challenges so I'm not sure which one I'd say was THE true test but I agree with Kelly about one thing....I didn't like stage #4 (partially because I screwed it up). Kelly and Steve both shot well as well as Mike L. Rio Solado shooters represented themselves well there. Kelly N. finished 9th overall (with a stage win), Steve H. was 20th overall, Mike L. was 15th overall (2nd A class), I finished down the list at 53rd but I won C class and the XD side match, and of course TGO took it all. These are all Rio shooters. I love shooting against these guys and watching them every week at Rio because they only make me better. Great match and I can't wait til Sept.

Jason

Jason you won C class because you are a bagger! j/k.Glad to here it was a great match! :lol:

I have few questions:

Duane,

Stage 12 was nothing special, I just won it that's all. Steve Horseman likes Stage 9 because that was his highest finish on a stage (5th) and he beat me (8th).

Rio Salado shooters did kick ass at this match, especially Mike Linn who was 15th overall in his 1st National level match! Watch out people.

Ah, the cruel tutelage of Stage 6.

Stage 6 was a 9 shot speed course with 1 center popper (I think between 15 and 20 meters out) which activated 2 swingers which swung quite quickly in and out of hard cover. There were 2 static targets 1/2 covered by no shoots on the right and left hand edges of the stage.

With only 9 shots, people shooting major could not miss or you had to do a reload. The trick was the swingers. I believe most everyone on the Friday supersquad who tried to get two shots on the swingers in one pass had a miss, including me. My 2d shot just nicked the paper but not enough to get a D. :angry:

TGO was watching us shoot it and (at least at that point) had decided to only attempt one shot at the swinger during one pass. I don't know what he ended up doing though.

On stage 6 I shot the popper and then the two static targets before going to the swingers. It was a bit slower but the swingers each had two alphas in them so I wasn't complaining.

Jason you won C class because you are a bagger! j/k.Glad to here it was a great match! :lol:

HaHa! Thanks. My BP teammates kept saying the same thing to me. I'm moving up so they can't say it anymore. I've only been shooting USPSA since July so I'll get there.

I have few questions:

Duane,

Stage 12 was nothing special, I just won it that's all. Steve Horseman likes Stage 9 because that was his highest finish on a stage (5th) and he beat me (8th).

Rio Salado shooters did kick ass at this match, especially Mike Linn who was 15th overall in his 1st National level match! Watch out people.

Kelly,

I just also remembered that every single one of us is either law enforcement or a "stinkin" lawyer. For all of you out there I'm not a lawyer and neither is Mike L. or Steve H. That just leaves one person. Hmmmm it must be...

Edited by jasmap

My understanding vis-a-vis the weather is that it rained on Friday night and Saturday morning. The Friday shooters lucked out since it didn't start raining until after shooting was done for the day, but on Saturday it rained until about lunch time, so most of the Super Squad, most notably Robbie Leatham and Dave Sevigny, had to shoot in what I've heard called "a torrential downpour." Is that correct? What were the temperatures like out there all four days, Fahrenheit-wise?