Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sportsmans Warehouse

Does anyone live near one?.They will be opening a new store here later this year.The web page says they carry Glock,Sig,Kimber etc and and reloading componets as well.What kind of prices do they have on the guns?,high or competitive with the local stores where you live?.

Gun prices are competitive to price leader . Components are on the high end compared to local gun stores. They seem to be able to get the high buck and performance center Smiths pretty easily. Pretty much any handgun you would like they have or can get.

They don't at the store here. They do stack them up on peg board so they are sitting next to each other. A small price to pay for that kind of selection though. My Mom didn't have a Christmas present for my Dad and I was able to find the .22 pistol he wanted at the last second.

I was impressed that they wipe the guns off when they put them back on the rack. I don't think I've seen any other store do that.

There's one in Salem (Oregon) and it has a reputation for poor customer service and careless handgun handling over the counter. I've never been there (that's an hour's drive, folks. I choke to think on what it'd cost in petrol!), but I keep hearing the aforementioned rating via our local/regional Oregon forum. Prices seem to be competitive, though. Sometimes we'll all gang up on a friend and send him to Salem alone with a group order of stuff, and that saves us all gas money. :P

If you know what you want they are ok, the guys behind the counter give out scarey bad advise. I'm sure many of them have never shot a gun. Their gun handling skills are scary ( Bend and Salem) I hate getting guns pointed at me.

They have lots of guns but can't seem to get in the ones I'd buy, I've been on a waiting list for 6 months for another 5" 9mm XD.

They have tons of other sporting goods though and their prices and transer fees ($10) are good.

Thanks for the info everyone,handguns on pegs sounds better than what two different large dealers about 50 miles from here do.They lay them upside down on the slide or top strap and have them side by side in the display case.You should see people craning their necks to look in the cases. :wacko:

They have lots of guns but can't seem to get in the ones I'd buy, I've been on a waiting list for 6 months for another 5" 9mm XD.

Missoula has them for $449. I told my local Scheel's that and they matched the price.

The Spokane store refuses to stock most powders in kegs larger than 1lb and their prices are pretty steep on components. I was told once that they couldn't sell more than 1K primers to anyone by federal law when I asked about case prices. Go figure.

The dweebs behind the counter may or may not actually know anything about firearms. I was there one day and the kid from fishing was tasked to stand behind the counter. He had no clue about anything including how to properly fill out a 4473.

When I buy a gun there I always ask if there is one that is new in the box in the back room. There usually is so I make them go get that one. I don't like buying guns that have been abused by others if I can help it. Their firearms prices are ok but not outstanding. Take a good look at all the stock they have on the wall. They change prices frequently and often there is a less expensive sticker on one which they will honor at the check stand.

At least the Spokane store will not do transfers, new sales only. They also don't like to do special orders; at least not when I have asked.

I suspect pretty much all of this varies from location to location. They are the Walmart of sporting goods. If you don't want advice and don't care how you are treated then go there. Otherwise patronize your real gun stores.

I'm still laughing after going into the one in Casper, WY a couple of months ago. I asked the two experts behind the gun counter if they had any Kimber magazines. The younger one looked puzzled for a couple of seconds and asked me to follow him down the counter. When we arrived at the other end he pulled out a gun rag with some pictures of Kimber pistols on the cover. There were quite a few customers at the gun counter and it would have be extremely impolite to laugh as hard as I really, really, wanted to. So, I mimed a dry-fire reload and then he got the picture. "Oh, you must mean clips! " :blink:

Explaning the difference briefly crossed my mind..... Nah.....

I gladly took the 8 round stainless "clips" he offered, nodding and smiling all the while, like a visiting tourist that doesn't speak the language. :lol:

It's a nice store though. I'll go back.

The Sportsman's here has great prices, on level with Cabelas for most of their stuff. Real good selection and if they don't have it there is another one equal distance from my house. Between the two I can get everything I want.

I bought my last 625 there because it was actually cheaper than going through my frien dwith an FFL.

I also shoot Black Powder Cartridge Rifles and they have a wonderful selection and have all the components I need except black powder. But I have a source for that.

So far this year I've bought three guns from them and will probably add a few more before the year is out.

Their gun handling skills are scary ( Bend and Salem) I hate getting guns pointed at me.

Phew! Same at the Austin (Round Rock) store. The staff was dry firing all over the place the last time I was there. I got my 3N37 and got out of there fast. :unsure:

-Chet

3n37 is $24.50 a lb. and some one called me by my first name when my wife was with me. Other wise it is super

The first name basis applies to any store in Missoula County that has guns, powder or bullets doesn't it Nate. :lol::rolleyes:

The gun handling by the staff at the Memphis area stores can be a bit on the scary side also. I did have the pleasure of watching one of the staff explain to a customer why it was not safe to carry a 1911 style pistol cocked and locked because he has had an incident before carrying that way. Then he proceeded to show the customer how quickly he could draw and cock the hammer with his finger on the trigger as he pointed at a few other custmers in the camping equipment area. I just shook my head and walked off.

• 3 months later...

They opened here today.They have the local dealers beat on powder and primers,ammo is a bit high but the gun prices are right there with every one else.I do like the 90 day layaway though.