Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dremel Question

revchuck

Since there are so many Dremel tool gurus here...I've got a couple of sets of "Fitz" grips, made of walnut. These were sitting in the storage building of the guy who produced them in the 70s. Apparently, the business burned, and this is undamaged stock he rescued and held onto for thirty years. The set for N frames is fine as is. The set for K frames need a good bit of wood removed to permit speedloader access. Can I just have at it with the sanding drum on my single speed Dremel tool, or is there a better way to remove the excess wood? If this is feasible, what grit sandpaper that is available for Dremels do I need to use?

Thanks!

Wait for Carmoney to respond. He has a PhD in this field.

I'm just an Intern in my 3rd year at Dremel Univ., but i'll take at shot at this while Dr.Carmoney is golfing.

I've used grinding wheels if it is a "really" hard wood to take of alot of material. A rasp also works. Then a sanding wheel at 120 grit IIRC. Then some times finishing with a buffing/abrasive bit.

The amount of material to be removed will determine the best course of action.

Go slow, and take off a little at a time

That's Professor-highspeed-Dremology. (PhD)

Ken,

I never had the chance to study under the Professor. What a shame. Did you?

I hear his book on Dremel-Relativity is fascinating. Cutting edge stuff ( well, it fits )

I might not be the dremel expert that Carmoney is but I think 17 years as a finish carpenter qualifys me. For the dremel, it depends on how much material to be removed. We use the small cutting wheels for doing precision removal of wood on stair rails and crown molding. They work well. If you want to remove large areas of wood then the drums are better. The lower the grit number the rougher it is. 50 grit will remove wood fast but leave the grip really rough. You will have to go over it with 120 or better to get it smooth. How much to remove? That will be trial and error. You can always take more off but it is real hard to put it back on after you sand it off.

Tom, I only have an honorary degree in Dremology, Mainus

Edited by Tom Mainus

You dawgs all heard the genius lyric of rapper Dr. Dre, am I right y'all?? Well tonight ya gets the biggity bonus....Dr. Dremel is in the house, and I'm down witchy'all.

Peep dis, dawgs. Use dat rotational on yo wood and it will NOT be de shiznit, its understood y'all wind up wit a B fuggly grip, y'know what I'm sayin? You'll burn the birch, y'all. Bone it up bad, man.

So jes back it off, get yoself a 8-ball, check out the breezies, maybe hit it wit yo jump-off, then when you be all chillaxin' you can hit yo nine grip with the non-rotationals.

An' yo, Pierre Cardan--y'all better get out my grill with that "golf" talk. You ain't dealin wit no perpetratin' cracker, y'all. Don't make me school yo ass wit the fo-five again, wangsta....

Oooh Sweet Jesus..... :rolleyes: We have been CARMONIZED.......

seriously though, make sure that you have a mask on when you do this. The dust from Gonco Alves and the other Revo grip wood is really bad to ingest! IF in doubt, call Hogue and they will tell you how to be safe when doing this Ya' all! I am bettin that Dr. Dremel hit the scotch before putting out his first hit on BE........

Edited by DougC

That's Professor-highspeed-Dremology. (PhD)

Ken,

I never had the chance to study under the Professor. What a shame. Did you?

I hear his book on Dremel-Relativity is fascinating. Cutting edge stuff ( well, it fits )

I've only done some long-distance and correspondence study. Absent the labs with The Master, it can be a bit of a grind.

I have Carmonized one of my hammers and am pleased with the result. But I did have to take some sub-courses in alignment, spacer technology, and drag theory to iron out some additional problems revealed by reduced spring rates, but that's another thread.

I have not become accomplished in the realm of removing rubber and wood. I agree with the hammer swinger that the cut-off wheels are best for removing large chunks, but I have had some difficulty with implement loading on rubber and wood parts.

There are some bits made of steel that look like drill bits at first but have a working surface up the side of the shaft. I have had some success roughing out the general shapes with these tools then doing the final contour with the drums and finish sanding by hand.

Of course, what we really need is the Science Fiction version of the Anti-dremel tool. You know, the tool that puts small amounts of material back on each pass? That's why sometimes I'll have to experiment on scrap materials for a while to see what works and what results in an "OH SHIRT" condition.

:rolleyes:

I think Spook said he used Car Body Putty/Epoxy to create his monstrosity. Maybe you can find some for an ol' Woody that'll match Goncales Alves.

Hey Snoop Car Car, wazzzz up! Yo chillin' bad homey?

When using your Dremel Apparatus, hold firm with steady hand, and wear glasses. The wife almost broke her finger one day trying to polish a ring. I don't lock up my guns, just my power tools.

You dawgs all heard the genius lyric of rapper Dr. Dre, am I right y'all?? Well tonight ya gets the biggity bonus....Dr. Dremel is in the house, and I'm down witchy'all.

Peep dis, dawgs. Use dat rotational on yo wood and it will NOT be de shiznit, its understood y'all wind up wit a B fuggly grip, y'know what I'm sayin? You'll burn the birch, y'all. Bone it up bad, man.

So jes back it off, get yoself a 8-ball, check out the breezies, maybe hit it wit yo jump-off, then when you be all chillaxin' you can hit yo nine grip with the non-rotationals.

An' yo, Pierre Cardan--y'all better get out my grill with that "golf" talk. You ain't dealin wit no perpetratin' cracker, y'all. Don't make me school yo ass wit the fo-five again, wangsta....

WOW!!!

We just may have to ask young Sam to keep an eye on what kind of music his old man is listening to. :unsure:

Dr. Dre-M-L,

uz nt b pdef? Indigent, non-indigenus customspeak bleeding thru?

If you're saying Sam might've posted in your name, can't buy it

Whichever one's seen using the knuckle sight is in for a world 'a' ribbin' at the next match.

BTW revchuck, have you started your homework yet?

Not yet. Between work and classes and getting two S&Ws back from 'smiths (M10 from the Performance Center and M28 from Clark's) and having to make sure they work :), I haven't had time. I have a long weekend coming up due to Mardi Gras, and in the time I'm not putting on a new roof due to Rita, I'll probably get the dremel out and do it. (Rain is predicted for Saturday.) I've already laid out the place I'm going to hog out, I just need to make sure I have enough sanding drums.

Not yet. Between work and classes and getting two S&Ws back from 'smiths (M10 from the Performance Center and M28 from Clark's) and having to make sure they work :), I haven't had time. I have a long weekend coming up due to Mardi Gras, and in the time I'm not putting on a new roof due to Rita, I'll probably get the dremel out and do it. (Rain is predicted for Saturday.) I've already laid out the place I'm going to hog out, I just need to make sure I have enough sanding drums.

May I suggest that you protect the area around the work area of your grip with a couple layers of Duct tape. Just in case the dremel gets a mind of it's own and starts to wander around a bit.

May I suggest that you protect the area around the work area of your grip with a couple layers of Duct tape. Just in case the dremel gets a mind of it's own and starts to wander around a bit.

That's a good idea ! ;) I'll have to use that next time I "dremel" something.

Thanks.