Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginners Pistol For 13 Year Old

mmcnx2

I'm going to start shooting USPSA this spring and am thinking about getting my son invovled. He has completed his firearm safety course, but has not shot a pistol alot.

I'm wondering what would be a good starter pistol, I'd like to stay in the $700 range for something new.

So far I've looked at a PARA 9mm high capacity single action, Glock 34, and a Springfield. Any others I should add to the list or drop any of these. As always thanks for the insight.

Just my opinion, but a Glock 9mm might be a good start. Its design places the bore axis lower in the hand than some other options and that helps with issues like limp-wristing. I've seen more than a few new (not all, of course) junior shooters struggle with that.

Being in Production also means the A's are super-important and helps them focus on accuracy. The speed will come later.

Edited by ima45dv8

The challenge with getting a gun for a youngster is the trade-offs one must make. The two that concerned me most when outfitting my 13-year-old were getting a gun that fit his hands and getting one for which he could handle recoil. A also wanted a "mainstream" gun for parts, maintenance and re-sale purposes.

My son is average height for his age but rail-thin (his uncle dubbed him "stick boy"). We tried a G34 and this scored well in the recoil area but the double stack body gave him an awkward grip. We then went with a Kimber 1911 in .45. We put on a flat mainspring housing, thin grips and a short trigger. The fit is very good. To manage recoil, we load the rounds down to about 148pf and he shoots minor. Sure, it hurts his score, but at this point the goal is to develop good shooting habits.

Excellent point on the Para high capacity, what about a single stack 9mm and letting him shoot minor in SS. My only concern with the Glock(please no flamers, I have one) would be the lack of a positive lock safety for a beginner and the potential of an issue on the draw from the holster.

I don't have any kids yet, but do have one on the way.

If my future kids decide that they do want to shoot with their old man then they will most likely start witha G34, or XD9. I think I will probably get some type of grip reduction so that they can comfortable hold on to it with their smaller hands.

My son (12 years old) just started shooting. I spent a lot of time trying to decide what gun/division to start him in. He is not very big at all and has small hands. Most improtant to me was the following:

1. A pistol that he could handle safely;

2. One that he could shoot accurately and learn fundamentals;

3. One that he would enjoy shooting and that would be comfortable for him to shoot;

The thought was to let him shoot it in Limited (minor). I talked to several friends who started their kids in Production. ALL said that they should have started their kids in Limited shooting minor. Their reasoning was that being limited to 10 rounds seemed to be a distraction to a kid and they had to pay more attention to reloading than actually shooting. Everyone I talked to who started their kid in Production or L10 indicated that their kid started to loose interest because it seemed they were "always" reloading, especially with steel (Texas Stars, etc). One friend said his son worried more abou tmissing than he did about hitting. Everyone I talked to strongly recommended starting my son in Limited - Minor.

At first, I considered a Glock or Springfield XD in 9mm. We tried both and learned that he had a tough time reaching the trigger on both of these pistols. Also, unless the trigger weight was reduced, the long "reach" on the trigger made it almost impossible for him to pull a 5lb trigger. So, I tried my Browning HP - 9mm. It has a 4lb trigger that has a shorter "reach" than the Glock or the XD. He was doing "OK" with it. The trigger had a long reset and wasn't perfect, which I think was causing him some accuracy issues. Then two weeks ago, while we were at the range, he asked to shoot one of my STIs. I said OK and let him try my standard Edge. His groups were outstanding. The only drawback was that the recoil was rocking him a good bit. So, I started thinking. I have a radically light Edge that I use as a backup (light slide, lightened frame, light magwell, Swenson safeties; and significantly reduced grip) that might do the trick. I set the trigger at 3lbs; put a Sprinco in it; lightened the recoil spring; put a short trigger on it; and loaded 140PF loads for him. He is having a blast! He shoots the pistol well and because it is light, he can manipulate it well. The recoil is very manageable for him and allows him to focus on shooting instead of recoil and muzzle blast. This is allowing him to focus on learning safety and the fundamentals isntead of trying to control recoil. The only "glitch" with the set-up is that he cannot reach the mag-release. If I put an extended release, it interferes with his grip. So, he has to release a mag with his left hand for now.

So, in summary, I strongly recommend starting your son in Limited with minor loads. I know an STI is tought to bite on for a new shooter, so perhaps a Glock 35? You would have to get the trigger worked on. I assume that a Glocks grip can be thinned if necessary. they offer a decent amount of aftermarket parts. Personally, I prefer the XD because of its safety features and the grip angle. However, aftermarket parts are limited with them. Most important though, is Limited!!! Let your son focus on shooting and reloading... Hope this helps.

Jack

p/s

I have attached a picture of him shooting weak-handed last weekend at our classifier match

post-950-1140204690_thumb.jpg

Check out the Springfield XD. They have a smaller grip than a Glock.

I don't think the safety will be much of an issue if you teach him not to put his finger on the trigger until his sights are on the target. With a 1911, the only thing preventing him from releasing the safety too soon and putting his finger on the trigger is proper technique. The lack of a thumb safety could be seen as an advantage to a new shooter. One less thing to worry about and if he has small hands and is unable to use a thumb on safety grip, less chanch of him knocking it back on during the course of fire.

I would strive to get a pistol that will not be at a scoring disadvantage in whatever division you decide to set him up in. I can see where that could be frustrating to a new shooter.

And I also think you should listen to Jack who has more experience teaching a young shooter than I do and was making a post at the same time I was making this one. :P

Edited by Singlestack

The juniors like (and need) the extra rounds. Single stacks and 10 round mags are short-lived, from what I ahve seen.

One of our juniors shot a 9mm Para for quite a while. Another is shooting a 9mm Glock. With 140mm extensions in Limited, they get plenty of ammo (23+). I think that is important. They can skip over misses on paper, but they will keep shooting at missed steel.

The glock shooter uses his middle finger to pull the trigger (rather effectively).

Tough call.

Does anybody shoot Steel Challenge in your area? SC is a great place to start a shooter...especially with .22 rimfire.

My son is 12 (13 in March) and has been shooting since he was 8. He started with a .22 rimfire rifle and pistol. Great guns to learn the basics of marksmanship with as the recoil is very mild. He progressed to a single stack 1911 in .38super when he was 10. At 11 I got him a Limcat SV Open based on a recommendation from Todd Jarrett. It was a really good move, but obviously an expensive option.

Watching my son develop, I'd recommend the following given your budget. If your Son's hands are big enough to to hold a high cap, I'd recommend you get him a Para P16 .40 and initially down load it to minor. This will allow him to progress with the same gun, eventually shooting major loads. If you get him a 9mm or .38sup, 1911 he will be forced to shoot minor (scoring disadvantage). The .40 allows you to shoot both minor and major. If the Para is to big for him, get him a single stack .40 and he can shoot the 1911 Div. or L10. Both of these guns will also let him shoot IDPA as they have a bushing bbl.

Just as important as picking the right gun for you son is getting him the right instruction. My son has trained with Todd Jarrett and was lucky enough to get selected to go to Camp Shoot-Out for AREA 7 last year. This quality instruction really helped him improve. It has been pretty cool to watch.

Feel free to PM with any specific questions.

Best,

Nick-

If you buy a CZ75 SA (single action) it comes with ambi safeties and holds up to 19 9mm's. There are cool fiber optic front sights and decent competition rear sights available at ghostholster.com along w/ competition hammers etc.... My youngest daughter uses one and it is a remarkable gun for the money.

-Larry

+1 with Larry.

Limited minor with a CZ75 (SPO1, 85, etc) would be great. The controls will be consistent when he goes to a "big" limited gun but for now the CZ has a thin grip short trigger reach when in SA mode also when the time comes to practice reloads the gun can be production legal too.

Craig

I'd get him the Para in 9mm and let him shoot minor. Heavily emphasize shooting accurately over speed (Minor will help this). The extra rounds will be beneficial if he's still developing his shooting skills and has trouble hitting long distance steel. The lower recoil of 9mm minor will also be easier to control for him.

In the future, you can build it up into an Open gun, or change the top end and shoot Limited major.

I took a different approach with my son Sam.

Sam was 11 when the first picture below was taken with the Model 10 and Comp III speedloaders, he already had a USPSA President's Medal hanging from his bedpost....

By the time the second photo was taken, at the 2005 USPSA Nationals, I had switched him to a Model 646 in .40 caliber (still shooting minor). He was 12.

By the time we shot the Minnesota Sectional Championships last fall, Sam had switched to a Model 25-2 with 174 p.f. loads. Not only did he finish 3rd of the 7 revolver shooters, but the unofficial combined results reveal that Sam and his 6-shot revolver actually beat 37 other shooters, mostly adults with autopistols:

http://www.cmps.org/section/2005sectional.html#revolver

http://www.cmps.org/section/2005section_combined.txt

Yesterday Sam turned 13, and he can now handle revolvers, 1911 single-stacks, and my Limited gun very well (he commented at last week's match, shooting Limited, that having all those bullets in the gun felt like he was cheating!) Having started out on a revolver and speedloaders, the other divisions seem really easy by comparison.

post-4033-1140239574_thumb.jpg

post-4033-1140239705_thumb.jpg

Edited by Carmoney

I sarted my Daughter with a revolver. I think it makes a good shooter and is easy to teach safety. You can teach Fry fire skills and making the move into Auto is no big deal.

A big + 1 on Steel Challenge ...best thing to start in. you will never hear him say ' that target is so far'... wine ...wine ;)

i would get a minor open glock for the youngster.

it has the most rounds,

least recoil..

and its the easiest to hit with(target, dot, trigger)

get a used glock 17, a new KKM barrel and comp, 13 pound recoil spring and a docter sight mounted on the slide..your choice if youwant to have the sight milled into the slide or just use the docter mount.

Get a Brass magwell and some mags and let em shoot!

I took a different approach with my son Sam.

Sam was 11 when the first picture below was taken with the Model 10 and Comp III speedloaders, he already had a USPSA President's Medal hanging from his bedpost....

By the time the second photo was taken, at the 2005 USPSA Nationals, I had switched him to a Model 646 in .40 caliber (still shooting minor). He was 12.

By the time we shot the Minnesota Sectional Championships last fall, Sam had switched to a Model 25-2 with 174 p.f. loads. Not only did he finish 3rd of the 7 revolver shooters, but the unofficial combined results reveal that Sam and his 6-shot revolver actually beat 37 other shooters, mostly adults with autopistols:

http://www.cmps.org/section/2005sectional.html#revolver

http://www.cmps.org/section/2005section_combined.txt

Yesterday Sam turned 13, and he can now handle revolvers, 1911 single-stacks, and my Limited gun very well (he commented at last week's match, shooting Limited, that having all those bullets in the gun felt like he was cheating!) Having started out on a revolver and speedloaders, the other divisions seem really easy by comparison.

You've done a good job Mike. It's a shame that all kids can't draw an outstanding Father like you.

Quite frankly, I don't think the equipment choices you made make a nickle's worth of difference. It's everything else you did that matters most.

No matter what the future holds, Sam is one kid that has had one of the best starts a youngster can get; even if he lays his guns down tomorrow and never picks one up again.

A Man achieves immortality in only a limited number of ways. Your influence will be felt far beyond this game and for generations to come.

Surely, you have led us all by your example.

:)

My oldest Son (15) will start shooting around June of this year and will be shooting an STI open gun. We chose open because of vision issues. My youngest Son (5) wiil start shooting in about 5 years and I will build him a light STI in .40 cal that I will down load for minor. It will be a .40 down loaded because as he grows we can increase the P.F. untill he is shooting major (can't do that with a 9mm).

My oldest Son (15) will start shooting around June of this year and will be shooting an STI open gun. We chose open because of vision issues. My youngest Son (5) wiil start shooting in about 5 years and I will build him a light STI in .40 cal that I will down load for minor. It will be a .40 down loaded because as he grows we can increase the P.F. untill he is shooting major (can't do that with a 9mm).

This is another benefit of the .40. You can start minor and gradually work up. My son is starting to ask about Open now. Oh Oh. I don't shoot Open. Fortunately, I have some friends that will let him try one of theirs. I think I created a monster... :)

If his hands are big I'd get a full-size STI or Para & load ammo to minor for a while. Won't have to buy holster gear & mags a 2nd time that way & or re-learn a new draw, new mag change, new trigger press. The STI/SV has the biggest variety of possible grip angles, trigger lengths, magwells, sights, recoil systems - you name it.

If his hands are small I'd look at a small-frame CZ or an XD like this one:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32689

I would definitely get a .40 and load the ammo to minor IF recoil is an issue. When I was that age it wouldn't have been an issue, but I've seen kids the same age balk at shooting a 686 loaded with target wadcutters.

I shot minor ammo through my G35 yesterday for the first time and it was a sweet experience. This is a combo I'd highly recommend.

My 8 year old daughter has shot my SS .38 Super ESP gun with 141 PF loads without a problem, but she doesn't have the strength yet to cycle the slide. Recoil was not an issue.

You've done a good job Mike....

Waltermitty, I am really moved by your kind words......thank you!

Sam's adventure into the competitive shooting sports has truly been a great experience for him. He is a fortunate kid indeed, not only because he gets to have so much fun at these matches, but also to have had the opportunity to make so many quality friends, many of whom I know will be life-long friends, from all across the country and from all walks of life.

Our fellow shooters have really been great to Sam. When EB's article about Sam made it into the junior spotlight in Front Sight magazine, Sam got a personal phone call here at home from a GM who read the article and just wanted to congratulate him! Shooters (and friends from this forum) have helped Sam by giving him shooting equipment, comping his entry fees at matches, providing him with ammo, and helping him with gunsmithing assistance. Countless other shooting friends have been extremely generous with their time and their attention, in countless ways.

How many kids Sam's age get to be treated with such respect by adults? Not very many.

The tough years are just starting. Sam's now a full-fledged teenager (he turned 13 this past week), he's grown out his hair, and he's learned a whole bunch of new ways to frustrate the living crap out of his mom and me! You know what that's like--every parent goes through it. But even though his taste in music has become questionable and he's picked up a few detentions this year at school, Sam still loves playing baseball, camping with his Scout troop, pheasant hunting, playing his trombone, and shooting IPSC with his friends. I'm pretty confident it will all work out OK.

Thanks to all of you who have been so kind and considerate to this particular father/son team, and to all the other fine junior shooters participating with us out there!

post-4033-1140497824.jpg

I definitely recommend a glock 34 to start with. I started my boys at age 12 with glock 34. The oldest is 15 now and shooting custom Bedells. Ryan had just tuned 13 in this video last Fall at the Area 5. He got to shoot with Julie so she got some video and put it on her web page. Check out the video.

http://www.juliegoloski.com/juliegoloski_0...rbradley_a5.wmv