Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftermarket Glock Barrels

Singlestack

So now that I have ruined my factory G35 barrel (and I really liked the stock barrel), what should I replace it with? Are Bar-sto and Jarvis worth the money or should I go with a KKM? I'm not really that interested in shooting lead and if I did not get better case support out of a aftermarket barrel I would just buy a Glock barrel. What worries me is reliability. Tighter chamber = less reliability IMHO.

Suggestions and advice please.

Dealer price on the two are about the same.  Retail price the bar sto is about $50 more.  I have 2 kkm barrels and they both shoot great.  if I get another it probably will be a bar-sto, just to see if there is a big difference.

John, you might want to look at the Federal barrels. There are a lot of shooters that turn their nose up at them, but I have installed three in Glocks with very good results. Two have been 9mm conversions in G35s and one was a G22 .40. All three shot as good or better than the stock barrels. The $69 price is hard to beat.

Have not tried the KKM, but I have been using a Bar-sto on my G35 for the last year and a half.  I really like it and would highly recommend it.  I found an improvement over the stock barrel in terms of accuracy, and it holds up really well.  

Mine fit in with no gunsmithing required, however, a fellow G35 shooter had to have some minor work done to get it fit.  

Quote: from Flexmoney on 9:09 pm on May 11, 2002

John,

Doesn't the KKM run about the same as the Bar-sto?

I have foumd two places where I can get a G35 KKM .40 barrel for $155.00

The Bar-sto G35 barrel is $210.00

The Jarvis is $195.00

I'm leaning towards the KKM based on price and I have heard some good reviews about them on GT.

I would not mind putting out the extra mola for the Jarvis or the Bar-sto if I was getting $50 worth of better barrel.

Joe D, I have not heard much about the Federal barrels. Have you tried any others?

I've heard great things about KKM's barrels, and mine shoots great. It required no fitting. My buddy put a Barsto in his G35, required gunsmith fitting. It also shoots great.

But for the difference in price I'd go with the KKM.

And yes, I do turn my nose up at Federal barrels, they just aren't made as well. Another case of you get what you pay for I think  :)

Shooter, not trying to start an argument here, but have you actually checked the Federal barrels? I closely checked the three I have installed. They had as good or better lockup than the stock Glock barrels. The chambers are tighter than the Glock barrels, but not too tight. All three shot golfball size groups at 25 yds. I am very pleased with the way my 9mm/35 barrel shoots.

John, I have a 9mm/23 barrel that I got from Olympic that shoots well also. I have seen a glock go full auto after a Bar-Sto barrel installation. The owner of that gun shoots with us at IPSC matches.

I have inspected a couple of Federal barrels, they seem ok, people like the drop in aspect, and you're right they aren't to tight like some match barrels. Good trade out from stock barrel for someone wanting to shoot lead.

For someone wanting match chambers, and a tighter more "gunsmith" fit (read more accuracy), Barsto, Wilson, KKM, etc are the way to go.

Each to his own. Whatever works for you  :)

FWIW...I recently purchased an Olympic bbl for my G35 for $114. It dropped right in and worked from shot 1. I did, however, take a dremel and a polishing wheel to some of the machined edges. They were not improperly done-just very sharp.  I'm a lousy accuracy shooter, so all I can tell you is it is no worse than the factory GLOCK bbl. I have approx. 2,000 rounds through it so far. I saw a kkm bbl at area 6 on one of the vendor tables and it looked to be at least the same if not better quality.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure whose barrel Wilson Combat sells, but I put one in my G22. It required some pretty serious fitting.

As near as i can tell, it is more accurate, and after doing everything I could think of to cause feed problems with it, it has performed well.

• 2 years later...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Storm Lake barrels. They also make the "Lone Wolf" replacement barrels, and they are very good indeed. I have purchased 2. One for my 34 and one for a 35. Both dropped right in, no fitting, are comepletely reliable and more accurate than the factory barrel. Under $200. each. (They do have very sharp edges, though. Some polishing would probably help, but it's not necessary.)

Larry

• 3 weeks later...

I also bought a Lone Wolf for my 35. I've been VERY happy with it. Quite reasonably priced and fits nicely with no custom fitting. Mine seems to not like the Winchester flat points I used to load, but other than that it eats anything I throw at it.

I bought a 34 from a buddy of mine and it had a Barsto already in it. Kinda liked that idea, buy a gun and has a Barsto already fitted in it. I like the Barsto barrels a lot. I had numerous guns with them and love them.

I have not had one with a KKM before, but just got a G20 and will be getting a KKM barrel in 40 or it.

I have Storm Lake barrels in my 17 and my 24. They dropped right in and I have shoot better groups at the range than I could with the stock barrels. You can get them for $100.00 through topglock.com. They are great barrels at a great price. I have also heard good things about KKM. I just bought a used KKM for my 35 to see how it compares to the Storm Lake barrel.

I would stay away from the Federal barrels. The one I owned had a tighter chamber than the factory barrel but the slide fit was much worse. It is in the bottom of some drawer, maybe never to be seen again.

I run Barsto barrels now and I could not be happier. I have bought the semi-dropin and the oversized for gunsmith fitting. They both work great but I would lean toward the oversized one that requires some fitting. Barsto sells a DVD that shows you how to fit it and the fitting only requires removing metal from two places. My 34 slide to frame fit and barrel to slide fit is as tight as a good 1911 now… I love it!

I have heard good things about KKM but I have also seen several KKM barrels give people problems because they have a VERY tight chamber.

I would pick Barsto first, KKM second.

Any drop in pre-fit barrel may give you a little more accuracy than the factory barrel, after all, it's a drop-in pre-fit. If you want the best, with the best ammo, go with a gunsmith fitted BarSto.

I run Barsto barrels now and I could not be happier. I have bought the semi-dropin and the oversized for gunsmith fitting. They both work great but I would lean toward the oversized one that requires some fitting. Barsto sells a DVD that shows you how to fit it and the fitting only requires removing metal from two places. My 34 slide to frame fit and barrel to slide fit is as tight as a good 1911 now… I love it!

Where does the metal need to be removed from the barrel? With what tools? Is this a DIY (honestly) for someone with extremely basic mechanical skills?

I'm this ---> <---- close to saying, the hell with it, and selling my Glock 34, and concentrating exclusively on my 1911's. The accuracy of my factory G-34 has been very disappointing despite trying many different combinations of VV 320 and bullet weight/types. The only thing that groups (and it's an unstellar 2-3" @25y) is CCI Blazer 115gr.

My options are: buy something like a Storm Lake barrel ($110, or so), and hope it helps. Buy a BarSto, and hope I can fit it. Buy a BarSto and pay someone locally to fit it (overnight mailing to a FFL adds another $50, if I send it out). And it seems to me, if I want any kind of realistic chance at putting this issue to rest, I need to get the barrel professionally fitted, no?

The thing is, I'm starting to really like the Glock, especially with the new sights I put in. It's simple light, fast to point....I like not having to "top-off" the 11th round. I like being able to strip and clean it in about 3 minutes. I also really like the G-34's controls -- I find both the magazine and slide release *very* ergonomic.

At some level, I'm tempted to get a 35 to go along with the 34, because going back and forth between my 1911 Kimber and the 34 is beginning to bother me.

But the accuracy issue troubles me. <sigh>

All you need is a file. I don't remember the names of the oversized areas but one is the hood by the breachface and the other is the underside of the lug by where it locks up.

Irve Sto of Barsto can fit the barrel if you want him to.