Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decap die

I need a good decap die for my bucket of 9mm that has military crimps. I am going to set up one of my spare 650s as a decap/swager for 9mm and 223. My question is what is a good quality decaping die that will self center the case in the die? I tried a RCBS it didnt work tried a Lee it dint work, on both these I had to position almost every shell right under them and prob broke a dozen decap pins. Right now im using a Lee resizing/decap die but dont like that idea because I am resizing dirty brass. Thank you in advance!

Not the Lyman spring loaded decapping die, my experience has been suboptimal 

The best self centering die I found is a resizing die, I figured if I’m going to run them thru my press, I might as well resize while I’m at it, plus I hate running dirty brass thru my press

i have a dedicated tool head with a lee U die and a lee FCD and my process is wet tumble, dry, lube, resize, wet tumble again to get the lube off and dry

you could skip the 2nd wet tumble if you don’t mind having lube on your brass

Mighty Armory. 

The newest die that just came out the XMA will do exactly what you need it to.  Follow the instructions and the setup on YouTube. You won't be disappointed. 

Happy loading

On 7/13/2024 at 12:48 PM, newmexicocrawler said:

I need a good decap die for my bucket of 9mm that has military crimps. I am going to set up one of my spare 650s as a decap/swager for 9mm and 223. My question is what is a good quality decaping die that will self center the case in the die? I tried a RCBS it didnt work tried a Lee it dint work, on both these I had to position almost every shell right under them and prob broke a dozen decap pins. Right now im using a Lee resizing/decap die but dont like that idea because I am resizing dirty brass. Thank you in advance!

Something is wrong if you can’t run 9mm through a Lee universal decapper without having to center the case by hand. I have done buckets of 9 with one on my 650 without issue. Pushing $75 for a simple decapper is ludicrous 

Must say I concur with Sarge on this.  The aforementioned decappers may be nice, but even with inflation....that seems a bit rough.  

I've run plenty of dirty range brass (prior to tumbling) through a Lee Universal Decapper in a single stage RCBS for many years with minimal drama. 

I have used both the FW and MA decapping dies, both on 9mm and 223 brass. The FW is a beast to say the least. Had a few pieces of Berdan primed brass, punched a new hole right through.  Have had a few hick-ups with the MA decapper, bent a few pins and broke one shaft over the coarse of 10,000 pieces of brass. But a great die and customer service is tops. I also use their hold down die on my S 1050 swaging station, works great.

I have a couple of the Lee dies and they are okay but the FW Arms decapper die works much better for me.  I really like the way it pops those primers out at high velocity.  

Thanks for your input. Never thought of set-back causing a big pressure increase I was using 4.7 g CFE pistol. And 124 berry rn. My powder measure is a Lee auto- disc. I was trying to taper crimp lightly not to deform the bullet.. I’ll check if they move when pushed on My OAL was 1.120

1 hour ago, SCSAJack said:

Thanks for your input. Never thought of set-back causing a big pressure increase I was using 4.7 g CFE pistol. And 124 berry rn. My powder measure is a Lee auto- disc. I was trying to taper crimp lightly not to deform the bullet.. I’ll check if they move when pushed on My OAL was 1.120

I think you are replying to the wrong thread/?
And taper crimping does not prevent setback, proper case sizing does. Even without crimping that bullet should not be going anywhere.

Edited by xrayfk05