Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 & sport pistol

Those are my two mains also, luckily I stocked up before it vanished. My 'fallback' is Titegroup. It's dirtier for sure, and not quite as soft as n320 - but reliable and usually cheap and not hard to find.

1 minute ago, OptimiStick said:

Those are my two mains also, luckily I stocked up before it vanished. My 'fallback' is Titegroup. It's dirtier for sure, and not quite as soft as n320 - but reliable and usually cheap and not hard to find.

I have 8 lbs of Titegroup but really don’t want to use it. It’s my last resort. 

1 minute ago, ltdmstr said:

Midway has N320.  1 lb only.  Also avail at Defender Ammunition and Republic Ammunition.

Yeah. Buying the 1lbs the cost goes up quickly. $1/lb or more compared to 4 lb jug. 

5 hours ago, Cltpewpew said:

I have 8 lbs of Titegroup but really don’t want to use it. It’s my last resort. 

lol, ok. It's all in your head...

5 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Midway has N320.  1 lb only.  Also avail at Defender Ammunition and Republic Ammunition.

Thanks. I guess I should have specified the 4lb jug to keep cost per lb down. 

4 minutes ago, Cltpewpew said:

Ouch. That’s almost $70 more after hazmat and shipping than the normal local place I buy from. 

Didn’t say it was cheap, just that they had it! 😁 How much was your last jugs and how long ago was that? 

Just now, Farmer said:

Didn’t say it was cheap, just that they had it! 😁 How much was your last jugs and how long ago was that? 

Local shop sells at 159 4 lb jug. Couple months ago. 

Yeah by the way things are going you may not see that price again for a while, I hope I’m wrong. Primers are coming down and powder’s going up. 

Edited by Farmer

Just now, Farmer said:

Yeah by the way things are going you may not see that again for a while, I hope I’m wrong. Primers are coming down and powder’s going up. 

Yup. I contacted them and they had no eta. 

20 hours ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Just checking the burn rate chat and Accurate no 2 is right under N320. Hodgdon load data shows very similar charge weight. I've heard good things about it from fellow shooters.

Have you shot it? It’s certainly cheaper. 

12 hours ago, Cltpewpew said:

Local shop sells at 159 4 lb jug. Couple months ago. 

I stopped by Grafs just yesterday on my way back from Kansas City and bought a 4lb.  Didn't need it, but hearing lots of rumblings about the shortage of nitrocellulose.  You  might find that your local joint isn't as cheap as it used to be next time they have it either...Grafs was something like 168 a very short time ago...it's all jumping again.

2 minutes ago, fbzero said:

I stopped by Grafs just yesterday on my way back from Kansas City and bought a 4lb.  Didn't need it, but hearing lots of rumblings about the shortage of nitrocellulose.  You  might find that your local joint isn't as cheap as it used to be next time they have it either...Grafs was something like 168 a very short time ago...it's all jumping again.

Local shop has has 1lb jugs. I guess mostly being cheap since buying 1lb increases cost a decent amount. 

2 minutes ago, Cltpewpew said:

Local shop has has 1lb jugs. I guess mostly being cheap since buying 1lb increases cost a decent amount. 

I don't blame you, I don't buy 1lb's for the same reason. 

Either way, we are now at a point where you need to start generating load data for a few different powders and find some alternatives that you can get by with, because I doubt we're going to be able to reliably get the exact ones we want over the next 1-2 years at least.  

For standard 9mm USPSA loads, I've had good luck with several different powders.  My order of preference would be N320>Prima SV>Prima V>CSB1M>Win238/HP38>Titegroup.  Unfortunately, they don't import the Vectan PrimaV/SV anymore :(  At 13.99lb when I was getting it, I wish I had stocked up like a madman...

1 hour ago, Cltpewpew said:

Have you shot it? It’s certainly cheaper. 

A-2  bought some at an estate sale,, so started using it,, then found it on sale bought some more.. The bought some clean shot for 19 a lb,, which is about the same thing..
Pretty much all I use now,,  I am basically loading 38 special practice ammo with my other fast powders to use it up.
But A 2 is about all I use for competition loads in pretty much every thing. 9 minor, 40 major, 45ACP major, 38 special, and 38 short colt. Mostly under coated bullets of some type, including the old school moly coated where it doesnt smoke or get as hot as tightgroup. 
I used to use alot of tight group and WST,, but have pretty much just switched to all A2. Unfortunately Hodgdon bought western, aka accurate powders so prices gonna sky rocket if they havent already.. Alliant has announced they arnt gonna sell reloader powder anymore,,,  soo no competition.

1 minute ago, Joe4d said:

A-2  bought some at an estate sale,, so started using it,, then found it on sale bought some more.. The bought some clean shot for 19 a lb,, which is about the same thing..
Pretty much all I use now,,  I am basically loading 38 special practice ammo with my other fast powders to use it up.
But A 2 is about all I use for competition loads in pretty much every thing. 9 minor, 40 major, 45ACP major, 38 special, and 38 short colt. Mostly under coated bullets of some type, including the old school moly coated where it doesnt smoke or get as hot as tightgroup. 
I used to use alot of tight group and WST,, but have pretty much just switched to all A2. Unfortunately Hodgdon bought western, aka accurate powders so prices gonna sky rocket if they havent already.. Alliant has announced they arnt gonna sell reloader powder anymore,,,  soo no competition.

I was a fan of sport pistol. Moved to n320 since sport pistol was harder to find and now will be nonexistent. 

58 minutes ago, Cltpewpew said:

I was a fan of sport pistol. Moved to n320 since sport pistol was harder to find and now will be nonexistent. 

never used 320 because VV was gawdawful expensive.. like more than double the price of tight group or WST..
Last time I shopped for powder VV was still $40 ish a lb,, while the Hodgdons had gone from 19.99 to 40-50.. ,, guess they were late to getting the word .  I probably have enough powder to suit me for life as I dont see me getting much into competition unless I move really close to a range with matches... 

On 6/12/2024 at 10:34 AM, Cltpewpew said:

I primarily load with n320 and/or sport pistol. The supply for both seems to have dried up. Anyone using anything that comparable? Both are soft shooting and relatively clean. 

N320 seems to regularly go in and out of stock. It looks like most places are out right now. That’ll likely change by the end of the month.

i use https://www.shootingbot.com/shooting/items/powder/smokeless?s=N320 to get in stock notifications at the major retailers. 

I also used sport pistol from 2019-2023. This year I switched to n320 because I couldn’t reliably find sport pistol anymore. 

There is no effective difference, even the cost is pretty much the same these days.