Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Jerry Miculek Model 327 WR

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, testosterone said:

Here it is.  6 moons, tk mooner and demooner and nice pelican case.

Trigger is as bad as any s&w revolver even sent from factory, its probably 12 lbs.

No chamfer to speak of.

And its magnaported.

Otherwise all very nice, this one will probably never get shot, its for the collection.

327wr

Link to imgur, pic size is to much work to resize....

Shoot it, shoot it, shoot it….

4 hours ago, testosterone said:

By all accounts of people that know(you and dave) the scandium guns are not useful for real shooting, they just are not durable lmao.

Im going to confirm that theory I think…

RenderedImage.jpeg

4 hours ago, MWP said:

Im going to confirm that theory I think…

RenderedImage.jpeg

I thought we weren't supposed to take off the side plate with the strain screw in?

What's the real story?

33 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

I thought we weren't supposed to take off the side plate with the strain screw in?

What's the real story?

You can, but it's hard on the hammer stud.  A little pressure to keep the spring from moving while re-assembling is ok.  Just don't crank it down all the way.

11 hours ago, testosterone said:

By all accounts of people that know(you and dave) the scandium guns are not useful for real shooting, they just are not durable lmao.

TT:

Having shot my TRR-8 a lot without and with the porting, I would say that if you shot a diet of stout loads without the porting, they will shake themselves apart.  However, once I got mine ported I believe the abuse on the frame and parts was reduced greatly.  In this case, I think the porting makes a huge difference in recoil.

GG

The Scandium guns work well with light steel challenge loads.  They were not designed for a heavy diet of Defense or Magnum loads, and they hurt when you shoot them in the guns.  Years ago I got to play with a pre-production 44 mag Scandium gun.  They had Hogue rubber grips and Wood grips for the gun.  They had the Wood grips on the gun and he asked me if I wanted to shoot it.  I declined.  He thought I was a wuss, and then I told him what I did for a living and told him what I really thought.  9/10 owners would shoot 3-4 rounds through the gun and put in in the safe and or trade it off since it hurt them.  A lot of the Good Revo shooters use the 327s for Steel Challenge and really like them and put lots of rounds through them.  They are shooting around 100PF loads.  There is no need to port them as unless you are shooting Magnum level loads you won't have any gas to work the ports.  Fast powder with heavy bullets will help reduce recoil better.  Unless they have figured out the problems they are currently having with the 929s I would imagine they hope most of these guns are sent to collectors and not to actual shooters that will send them back to make them run.  Everyone local that has 929s buys them and ships them to TK Custom to get them to work for Competition.  We just had a 686 6 shot come into the shop with a Star that had so many rough marks and burrs that the owner couldn't easily pull the trigger, plus two chambers were out of time.  Brand new gun.  I don't mean to pee on anyone's parade here.  It is a cool gun that should have been made 15 years ago.  I hope they make it a production item as I would buy one at a lower price point.

5 hours ago, DougCarden said:

He thought I was a wuss, and then I told him what I did for a living and told him what I really thought.

Brain surgeon? Male model? Pizza maker?

Am I close?

On 5/19/2024 at 7:17 PM, MWP said:

He won all but 1 nationals he entered. And from what I understand there are unanswered questions around that one. Just another reason I don’t think a person should be eligible to win uspsa nationals from outside the super squad. 

The numbers say continued winning wasn’t favorable after the 8 minor rule change for him, even if that was a change he wanted. 

Looks like I'm coming in late on this part of the conversation, but I just wanted to let you guys know I was on the squad with Jerry at Vegas the year he came in second place at USPSA Revolver Nationals.  I witnessed everything of importance that happened during that match, and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.  By the way, the winner of the Revolver match was also on that same super squad with Jerry and me.           

On 5/19/2024 at 10:05 PM, MWP said:

I think we talked about it years ago on this forum. Very long story short, it was a very Rob style match, an anti Jerry style match, and was all 8 friendly since it was SS nationals. Jerry did almost every shooting skill better than Rob with a revolver, but matches at PASA were more bullseye matches than anything else, and Rob greatly excels at that style of shooting. Mathematically the standing reload was the only thing that kept Jerry alive in 2013 since his was so much faster than Rob’s. 

Once again, I was on the squad with Rob and Jerry in 2013 at PASA Park.  It was quite a race to witness.      

There was always a particular flavor to the stages of the Single Stack Classic (which later became the SS/Revo Nationals), but they were far from being bullseye matches!  You knew there would be a long standards, and you knew there would be an all-steel stage.  The rest of the stages were a mix of longer and shorter field courses--normal practical shooting stuff.  SSC stages were sometimes deceptive in their apparent simplicity, and could be a little more technically demanding than what we had in Tulsa or Vegas (or in PASA prior to those venues).  But nothing crazy.   

My impression of the reason why Jerry hung it up after he narrowly beat Rob in 2013 was that Jerry knew his absolute lock on first place was coming to an end.  Back in 2006 when I first shot USPSA against Jerry, everyone else was shooting for second place, and struggling to get to 80% of Jerry's match score.  But everyone plateaus at a certain point--it's inevitable.  By 2010, things had changed--other shooters had advanced to the point where Jerry was getting serious pressure.  Matt Griffin finished 99-99% of Jerry in 2010, 2011, and 2012.  And in 2011 Jerry only beat Matt by less than one match point (out of nearly 1800 match points available that match).  

In 2014, Rob won a very close bout against Olhasso and Wolfe.  And then in 2015, on the same exact type of PASA stages, with everybody running 8-shooters, Dave narrowly took first place over Rob.

I guess my point is that if Jerry wanted to make sure he went out on top, he picked the right time to walk away.  He would have certainly remained a contender for a number of years after he left USPSA Nationals, but a number of other shooters had reached pretty much the same skill level, and Jerry knew it.   

My thoughts. Worth nothing, and of course I can't know for sure but...

I remember several years in the 80s, reading in the gun mags how JM would come in in the top 10 or so at the big matches behind Rob, Brian, and the other top guys. His revolver just wasn't quite there. When he finally broke through, he was THE revolver guy for many years. Then, as Carmony points out (thank you BTW), Jerry bowed out. Sounds to me like things came full circle for him and he didn't want to be down the list again?

I watched him go to 3 gun/shotgun for several years and was once again on top.

Now it's the occasional world record.

What a career! 

The only caveat to Mike's fine story was that the Multi-Gun Matches started having much better prize tables/payouts at that time.  So it most likely was a win/win for Jerry, go out on top and play a new game with some payback.  Then add in his daughter became interested in competing with long guns.  Seems she payed attention to Dad and has done pretty good.

And on August 30, 2024 Cliff, Mike, Jess Christensen and some newer Revolver Guys will hash it out at the Free State in DeSoto, Kansas.  Looks to be an epic match as we have 20 Revolvers with 1 GM and 4 M's.

I've never shot USPSA revolver. I did shoot ICORE (Classic 6 shot speedloaders) including the last 4 or so International Revolver  Championships leading up to the 20th. This is when Miculek won his 20th consecutive IRC. Definitely others were catching up to him but the word was that he was going to be doing more 3 gun primarily  for financial reasons. It was great watching the top shooters.

1 hour ago, pcschwenke said:

Pskys2, please let  us know how the Desoto match goes.  Sounds like it would be epic.  I know Jess pretty well from The Pin Shoot.

Will do.

On 8/19/2024 at 11:31 PM, Carmoney said:

USPSA Revolver Nationals

So what actually happened.   I had heard loosely there was arguments over more than 1 scoring situation.

I also heard likewise at another nationals jerry argued for and successfully got someone elses double thrown out that definitely changed the match outcome.

2 hours ago, testosterone said:

So what actually happened.   I had heard loosely there was arguments over more than 1 scoring situation.

I also heard likewise at another nationals jerry argued for and successfully got someone elses double thrown out that definitely changed the match outcome.

ah yeh the perfect double no honor people..
Try it with me,, unless all your other shots are dang near touching or I actually see it, you are getting "If you are good enough to put 2 bullets in one hole, you are good enough to spread them out."

43 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

"If you are good enough to put 2 bullets in one hole, you are good enough to spread them out."

That's what my buddy always says :)

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

ah yeh the perfect double no honor people..
Try it with me,, unless all your other shots are dang near touching or I actually see it, you are getting "If you are good enough to put 2 bullets in one hole, you are good enough to spread them out."

Maybe, i have only done this on and off for awhile and have seen more than a handful of doubles first person that had targets taken down, i think in this particular instance it was a close target and the peanut gallery all watched and there was no question the shooter shot the target, but i wasn't there.

It happens *shrug*

Two bullets in one hole does happen. A RO needs pretty good evidence to determine that there was another bullet. If the RO doesn't see it, it doesn't exist.

At the recent IPSC Rifle World Shoot in Finland, electronic targets/scoring were in use, at least for some distant targets. On one occasion the system detected a double that went into "one hole" - at 353 meters (386 yards). Lucky for the shooter. A RO eyeballing the target would never have believed it.