Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Gage For 40 S&w At 1.20 Oal?

tpe187

Hi,

I've been reloading 40 S&W for a while, but only for stock OAL. I recently had a limited gun built for 40 and when I seat the bullets out to 1.185, the gage won't let the bullet all the way through and the case hangs just above the rim. I've checked an unprimed case and they work fine. I've also used the actual barrel, with the bullet seated, and it works fine.

I'm using 180gr Zero HP's and the gage is a Dillon case gage. Any suggestions on what I should either do to the gage or should I get a different one, specifically set up for 1911 length loading. Thanks for the help.

Tom

Try checking a loaded round by putting it in the case gauge backwards (rim first) also try just inserting only the bullet into the opposite end of the case gauge. The bullet should fit into that end of the case gauge right up to the case.

If the loaded round fits both of the above ways maybe the case is over-crimped or the bullet is seated crooked.

Nolan

You could use a 10mm gauge (what I do since I am cheap :D ) or get one from EGW. I believe they make them for 1.200, but call them and they might make one for you for what you need. DougC

Edited by DougC

I may be mistaken, but it has been my experience that if the only change you made was in OAL with the same bullet, and the rounds fit at the shorter OAL, then the round should gauge just as well as before.

FWIW

dj

I may be mistaken, but it has been my experience that if the only change you made was in OAL with the same bullet, and the rounds fit at the shorter OAL, then the round should gauge just as well as before.

FWIW

dj

+1 Works with my gauge

FWIW I have a Dillon case gauge as well. Glock loads with 180 gr Montana Gold are 1.12 and SVI loads with the same bullet at 1.18 both fit fine. I shouldn't be the change in OAL that caused your problem. I would look at something else.

Craig

Hi,

I've been reloading 40 S&W for a while, but only for stock OAL. I recently had a limited gun built for 40 and when I seat the bullets out to 1.185, the gage won't let the bullet all the way through and the case hangs just above the rim. I've checked an unprimed case and they work fine. I've also used the actual barrel, with the bullet seated, and it works fine.

I'm using 180gr Zero HP's and the gage is a Dillon case gage. Any suggestions on what I should either do to the gage or should I get a different one, specifically set up for 1911 length loading. Thanks for the help.

Tom

Tom, Try measuring older rounds that will guage and compare them with the ones that won't (not the OAL you seem to have that, but at the crimp, near case head ect.). My guess FWIW goes along with Nolan. Check for overcrimp bulging the case or maybe not enough crimp now that you have changed OAL. Not sure what your die setup is. Hope this helps.

Hi,

Tom

I use the same gage without problems. Make sure the gage is clean, believe me "anything" can prevent the bullets from going inside. Make sure to use EGW's resizing die, it will insure every brass is resize correctly, especially brass fired by Glock unsupported barrel. I hope this helps...

Thanks guys,

I had not thought of just reversing the case and trying it that way. It worked, and I fired 200rds today without one problem. I also orderd the EGW 4 caliber gage. I needed one anyway for 9mm :)

The problem was the Zero 180gr HP, seated long was contacting the inner diameter of the gage just past the shoulder that the case headspaces on. It did not do this when seated to normal OAL. I'm surprised that more people don't have this problem, but I guess it depends on the gage you use, if any and the type of bullet. Thanks for all you thoughts though.

Tom

The problem was the Zero 180gr HP, seated long was contacting the inner diameter of the gage just past the shoulder that the case headspaces on.

Exactly.

I'm surprised that more people don't have this problem, but I guess it depends on the gage you use, if any and the type of bullet.

I had the same problem. I loaded 180g MG's for years at 1.200" oal and when I tried some Zero's, they would not pass the gage at the same oal. When I shortened the oal to 1.165" they all passed the gage. I got aggrivated, as usual, and just went back to MG.

While not true in this particular case, another explanation is a nick in the extractor rim. A burr will catch at the lip of the gauge and the round will stick out by most or all of the width of the rim. I've suspected that of glock cases especially. The round will snag if you try to insert it in the gauge reversed.

Sometimes a push with your thumb will let the round snap into place, and at the same time swage down the burr. Other times it's a no go regardless. But I've found that, at least in my guns, the chambers are all forgiving enough to take these rounds w/o any problem at all.

Loading long and useing the EGW U die at times it is possible for the bullet to be seated slightly off center and at times some what cocked in the case. Rounds that are over crimped sometimes cause this. This will cause a round that will case guage by putting the round in the guage rim first but not bullet first. These rounds will usually chamber in the pistol. The Redding competion seater with its tighter tolerances helps correct this.------Larry

My Dillon gauge works just fine with jacketed bullets at 1.200 OAL.

Nolan

+1 Never had a problem. Have used 180 and 200 grain Zero bullets, Berry 180 JHP and RN, D&J 200 gr lead..etc...

Got the 4 caliber gage from EGW today. Rounds fit perfectly. I really like the fact that its cut with actual chamber reamers. So, if you ever run into this problem, look at the EGW gage. At $20 its not bad.

Edited by tpe187

Got the 4 caliber gage from EGW today. Rounds fit perfectly. I really like the fact that its cut with actual chamber reamers. So, if you ever run into this problem, look at the EGW gage. At $20 its not bad.

The Egw Gauge was made to check long loaded ammo. Being able to get 4 gauges in one is a pretty cool idea and its selling good givent hat nobody knows about it yet.