Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picked up a little bit of Open history (S&W 3566 / Briley .40)

mreed911

Picked this up as part of a three gun deal tonight - I collect these generation S&W guns.  Came across this 3566 frame completed by Briley as a .40 open gun, a 9mm Target Champion and a Lew Horton Shorty Forty Five.  Going to go by Briley and see how much more I can find out about this one - already have an email thread with them.

This one has the Briley barrel.  

Anyone know what a 90's-correct optic would be for this mount?  Something suitable today?  

Briley Open 3566 40.jpeg

In early '90s people were still using tubular dot sights. Tasco, Aimpoint Comp? Then C-More started coming along with the open lense arrangement. The mount on the S&W looks as if a C-More Slide Ride might go on it?

Edited by perttime

If it's got two tapped holes along the center top a couple inches apart as seen below, a full size C-more is appropriate.  I had one just like it on my Briley 9x25 Dillon open gun (somewhere I have a copy of the 93-94 era Briley catalog it was the cover gun for).   Just a dovetail would be anything from a Tasco PDP2 or Aimpoint Comp to something like an original Bushnell Holosight.

Note that the three cap screw mounting was not the best for longevity and many are loose or cracked if they were used hard with heavy scopes.

Here's the C-more mount off my old 9x25 showing the bolt holes.

Briimg1.jpg

Yeah, a PDP3 would be pretty "era-correct" for 91/92.  Anything much past that is going to be (for a very short while) Aimpoint Comp, then full-on C-More Serendipity.

Back to the original post:  Congrats!!  Those S&W's had some of the best triggers this sport has ever seen.  The reset is simply amazing!!  The only one that I still own is a 745.  I still enjoy it, despite it being relegated to "expensive plinker"....

Edited by Braxton1

Seems unlikely to be a C-more railway since those are just Slide Rides with a dovetail adapter bolted to the bottom (pretty sure I've got some of those around here too).  Best bet might be to carefully look at the mount and see where the rings were mounted and if there were one or two.

ADCO is another possible scope, but it would be rings like a Tasco more than likely.

2 hours ago, shred said:

Seems unlikely to be a C-more railway since those are just Slide Rides with a dovetail adapter bolted to the bottom (pretty sure I've got some of those around here too). 

Yeep, looks like they did do that at least once.  When you find the age of the pistol, the Front Sight archive on USPSA will be chock full of scope ads.

G1220-Handguns-3.jpg

Looks like exactly the same rail - and the C-More would be a nice fit.  I actually found a great deal on the grey Holosun 510C, so I may mix a little new and a little old and give it a run before it goes to the safe.

Wow.  Good to see some of these out in the wild again. 

I vote Slide Ride.

Congrats on the score!

Edited by Yeti

These are great!  And some massive optics.  :)

On another note, if anyone has one of the S&W magwells for these sitting around extra, I'm looking for one.  I also acquired a 9mm Target Champion but it came without the magwell and they're functionally unobtanium.

Great looking Smith! I love the older guns, they are a map of how our sport has evolved. They may not be competitive now, but they are still fun to shoot! I'm probably dating myself here, but I was active in USPSA back when these guns were competitive. Back when I started, the top shooters were shooting single stack 45's with a single port comp!

... and then somebody figured that you can make Major with a single stack 1911, in .38 Super, with a port or two in the comp.

The S&W pistols may have been the first "high capacity" IPSC/USPSA Open guns.

Edited by perttime

6 minutes ago, perttime said:

.The S&W pistols may have been the first "high capacity" IPSC/USPSA Open guns.

Among the first, for sure.  Released in .356 TSW which then found itself below the "40 caliber" threshold for Major.

Funny enough, 9mm bullets can now make Major in both Limited and Open.  In Limited, by being loaded in a .357 SIG case (but not .356 TSW, even if it were still available), and in Open by meeting power factor requirements.

49 minutes ago, perttime said:

The S&W pistols may have been the first "high capacity" IPSC/USPSA Open guns.

There were shooters in Europe running Tanfoglio and CZ with Major 9mm before the S&W guns. The Springfield P9 was basically a Tanfoglio. They had problems with the frames being strong enough to support the scope mounts and the barrel pins would frequently break due to the stresses.

Before that there were Browning Hi Powers and Glocks and such too, but few bothered.   The P9's in 9x21 were very briefly the hotness late 80's through about 1990 before Para & STI ran them over.

• 4 weeks later...