Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooting dual division with same equipment

Squirrel45

Getting very itchy here / bored. I really want to focus on my revos this year now that im able to again, God willing. I was wondering how man of you like to saw shoot the same gun in multiple divisions? Example running limited than switching rigs and running production, or carry optics than open? I was thinking of running limited first than iron sight revo. In matches where you can run two guns per fight do you think this would be advantageous. Just some thoughts as I look out the window and hope spring comes soon.  

thanks 

Squirrel 

I shoot CO/OPN, Prod/LTD, OSR/OPN, ISR/LTD  all the time. Sometimes I just want the extra reps on the gun. 

I personally never change equipment though, usually too busy on my squads for any of that. 

Just remember, if you're going to shoot two divisions you need to do twice the work on every stage. And I'm talking about the actual work, not the shooting work....

My club quit allowing it.  Several years ago we did and we had a few guys shooting 2 guns on the same day.  Guess what shooters were always in the back at the safety table screwing around with storing one gun, getting another gun out, swapping rigs, filling twice as many mags.  

We have normally capped our squads at 12 shooters.  Get a 2-3 of those guys on the same squad and everything grinds to a halt.  

Now we run a match and it is 2 days.  Come on Saturday and shoot 1 gun.  Show up again on Sunday and change division for $5 and shoot another division.

4 hours ago, aandabooks said:

My club quit allowing it.  Several years ago we did and we had a few guys shooting 2 guns on the same day.  Guess what shooters were always in the back at the safety table screwing around with storing one gun, getting another gun out, swapping rigs, filling twice as many mags.  

We have normally capped our squads at 12 shooters.  Get a 2-3 of those guys on the same squad and everything grinds to a halt.  

Now we run a match and it is 2 days.  Come on Saturday and shoot 1 gun.  Show up again on Sunday and change division for $5 and shoot another division.

If I read the OP right I think he wants to shoot one gun in different classes, not multiple guns. 

3 hours ago, Farmer said:

If I read the OP right I think he wants to shoot one gun in different classes, not multiple guns. 

This is correct. 

By the way to the other post about shooting two divisions, this is done on a regular basis with no issues. 

The only gun I could shoot in two divisions is LO, then Open.  They have to make LO legal first.

As far as two gun shooters, we do it all the time.  The club I shoot SCSA at allows two guns per shooter, even though the match is held on two days.  Some people want to shoot more than two guns.

I am almost always on a squad with four or five additional shooters, all shooting two guns.  We run through once, then again for the second gun.  It goes like clockwork.  Sure, the Timing or Scoring RO has to help out with painting sometimes, but it doesn't hold anything up.  We never hold the next squad up unless we were significantly held up by a previous squad.  If a club only allows one gun, I don't bother going.

9 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

This is correct. 

By the way to the other post about shooting two divisions, this is done on a regular basis with no issues. 

Probably depends on the shooters,, seen guys with 2 guns, guys with cameras, guys with kid/girlfriend, and guys with only 1 gun and none of the above, who do nothing to help and are always gone,,
Have also seen all of the above,, who also seem to do their fair share, 

Looks like it is perfectly fine to do so(6.2.3). I might give this a go as well. We only have 1 or 2 matches a month around here so would be a good way to get some reps in.

Sure would be a lot of moon clips to load and haul for an 8 stage match.

Also its very rare I see somebody shoot only 1 gun and several people I shoot with have enough magazines loaded for the whole match.

16 hours ago, Farmer said:

I missed that this is in a Steel Challenge forum.  Disregard my comments as we are a USPSA club.  No experience with steel challenge.  But I do see at the one in Indiana that they have people signup for 2 divisions on the same squad all the time.

You can shoot the same gun/equipment in Production and Limited as long as it is on the list, meets the size restrictions, and you don't go for a race holster.

At a L3 match you're not allowed to shoot two guns back-to-back which adds even more complexity.

If you have a good squad a bunch of double-gun entries can work, but it can also go horribly wrong if they all aren't on the ball.

If you’re on an efficient squad it saves minimal time. People spend a lot of time fiddlef*ing with gear so unless they’re literally shooting the same equipment and have 10 magazines already out and prepped, it’s just as fast to have the next shooter step into the box and stage their crap while everyone is painting and be ready to unzip their bag or unholster their gun at the “make ready”.

I never (hardly ever, sometimes with insane weather) shoot like that because that’s not how we shoot matches that matter. So assuming the whole squad isn’t disabled or slower than the DMV in Zootopia, you can save even more time by making sure people on your squad knows who is going when and making sure they’re ready when they’re up and you’re painting as soon as the range is clear.  

Edited by blackss06

Probably a little off topic from the intent of the initial post.

If a single gun qualifies for two divisions, that would be okay.  To help the RO and the scorer, make sure the order is consistent.  We often add name2 to our second guns when registering.

painting is a separate issue; regardless of one or two guns.  Our RO’s are not bashful about calling out guys scratching for brass or BS’ing to help paint.  The call is usually “range is clear….PAINTERS”.  If that doesn’t work then address it with them face-on.

Yes, shooting two guns is not an issue. If it is then the MD needs to be informed so the issue can be addressed. I have competed in steel for two years and have run two since the start. However iv always run two different guns. My initial question was shooting the same gun does it help? In my case I want to improve on my osr and isr. Would running another division first help ltd w isr and opn with osr. It's strictly a subjective answer as some think it helps while others it may not. 

3 minutes ago, Squirrel45 said:

Yes, shooting two guns is not an issue. If it is then the MD needs to be informed so the issue can be addressed. I have competed in steel for two years and have run two since the start. However iv always run two different guns. My initial question was shooting the same gun does it help? In my case I want to improve on my osr and isr. Would running another division first help ltd w isr and opn with osr. It's strictly a subjective answer as some think it helps while others it may not. 

If I understand…..would running same gun with iron sights then optic help you.

if you’re eyes are good enough to run irons and able to switch to optic then I would say yes it would help in the sense that you get more match time practice with staging the trigger.  

I tried FRPI and RFPO switching my prescription glasses and it was a disaster.  Not enough time for my old eyes to adjust.  Both guns were impacted negatively.

11 hours ago, Hoops said:

If I understand…..would running same gun with iron sights then optic help you.

I believe that he wants to run his ISR in LTD and then in ISR. The same for OSR and run the same gun in Open. To me it's just more trigger time with the same gun and I believe that it is legal to do so.

On 2/3/2024 at 6:22 AM, Hoops said:

Level 1 question:  would it not be efficient if two guns back to back with no paint between guns?  

I read 4.1 as requiring painting between shooters.  If you are shooting two guns you are essentially two competitors.  At all the LI SCSA matches I shoot, you are never allowed to shoot back to back, even though the rule book allows for LI.