Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 9Major Open Build Barrel- KKM vs Bar-Sto vs etc.?

RobE1010

Like it says, I’m working on a build list for a middy 9Major Open gun. Curious how you folks rate and compare the current offerings available on the market and if there is truly any noticeable or significant difference. 

What are your folks’ thoughts? 

I shot out a KKM in ~15k rounds. I'm sure most of them are fine but it's not what I would choose.

I replaced it with an Infinity (SV), which is incredible. They are a touch more expensive...

Edited by MoNsTeR
formatting

8 hours ago, MoNsTeR said:

I shot out a KKM in ~15k rounds. I'm sure most of them are fine but it's not what I would choose.

I replaced it with an Infinity (SV), which is incredible. They are a touch more expensive...

I’ve found the exact opposite. I find infinity barrels ones I absolutely don’t use. I’ve put KKM barrels in over a hundred guns and never had a customer complain of accuracy issues. 

I have a different take on this subject.  I HATE having to clean and re-Loctite comps after they come loose.  They always do, especially if it is a bull barrel.  I've never had one stay tight during a monster match, where you are ripping off 40 to 64 rounds per stage like a machine gun.  By the end of the match, you can wiggle the comp.

I prefer one-piece barrels/comps.  The old STI Trubore barrels were fine.  To the best of my knowledge, the only ones you can buy today are sold by Brazos Custom.  He sells his own brand and Barsto.  I have no experience with his barrels, but the Barsto is fine.  I'd order the blank and send it to @Aircooled6Racer for his custom comp cuts.  Be advised you will have to do a LOT of fitting on the Barsto.  You'll have to do some just to get the barrel into the slide.

My next choice would be a cone comp'd barrel.  They definitely stay tight for far longer than a bull barrel comp.  I've never shot a cone comp in a monster match, so I don't know if it would come loose or not.

My last choice would be a bull barrel.  If you decide to go that route, send your comp down to KKM and they will thread the barrel for your comp.  No wiggles.

Loctite tip:  using their primer correctly before applying Red Locite keeps the comp tight for longer.  However, you only have 15 seconds to get the comp threaded and clocked before it sets up so tightly you cannot move it by hand.  You best bet is to assemble the gun.  After the primer dries, start to thread the comp onto the barrel.  Apply Red Loctite to the remaining threads and quickly spin the comp on.  Clock and don't touch it.  

Edited by zzt

18 hours ago, donnyglock said:

I put KKM in all my builds. They are my favorite barrels. Bar-sto is good. The newer Schuemann barrels I’m not a fan of at all. Just look down one compared to the KKM. 

https://kkmprecision.com/product/govt-355-bull-4-65-clarkpara-ramped-threaded-1116x40-2/
This is the one I was actually looking at buying and using. This will work for a middy build, correct? 

1 hour ago, shred said:

Loctite #620 green sleeve retainer is the one to use if you don't want a comp coming loose, but maybe someday might want to take it off again.  Propane torch and wrench while hot.

yup, green is the sh$t.  black, now that stuff is pretty much perm.

On 12/17/2023 at 5:19 AM, donnyglock said:

I’ve found the exact opposite. I find infinity barrels ones I absolutely don’t use. I’ve put KKM barrels in over a hundred guns and never had a customer complain of accuracy issues. 

Oh it was plenty accurate when it was new :) After burning 8lbs of 3N37 and 8lbs of 7625, ~20% of bullets tumbled. Now it's a paperweight.

Like I said, sample size of 1. I have a limited gun with a KKM and it's fine, and I have a higher expectation that it will remain so.

On 12/17/2023 at 8:04 AM, zzt said:

I have a different take on this subject.  I HATE having to clean and re-Loctite comps after they come loose.  They always do, especially if it is a bull barrel.  I've never had one stay tight during a monster match, where you are ripping off 40 to 64 rounds per stage like a machine gun.  By the end of the match, you can wiggle the comp.

Loctite tip:  using their primer correctly before applying Red Locite keeps the comp tight for longer.  However, you only have 15 seconds to get the comp threaded and clocked before it sets up so tightly you cannot move it by hand.  You best bet is to assemble the gun.  After the primer dries, start to thread the comp onto the barrel.  Apply Red Loctite to the remaining threads and quickly spin the comp on.  Clock and don't touch it.  

Loctite will not hold up to heat, as you have found out. The stuff was designed to be unlocked with heat. If you want a comp to stay locked in place use Rocksett Adhesive and your problem will go away. Rifle builders have been using it for years on rifle muzzle devices because Loctite just doesn't work. Rocksett WILL NOT come loose with heat! If you want to take a Rocksetted joint apart all you have to do is let it set in water for 24 hours.

To prevent comp movement, I use red 272, and my guns are mid length with full length discovers.  The comp can’t rotate that way.

I’ve never shot out a kkm, and the one that’s in my Venom gun is still amazingly accurate 30k rounds later.

IMG_1405a.thumb.JPG.a29cb1d588cab5555a4d641ab344d36d.JPGIf you want the old STI T2 comp/barrel, Spectre Supply has them in stock.  I had Jeff at Tommyguns 

fit one in my old Trubor. Now I have 9x19 & 38 super.

Edited by TJSTI
file too large

On 12/25/2023 at 5:33 PM, sc68cal said:

I tried rocksett and couldn't get it to apply and set. I went back to red 272

I don't know what you did wrong, but I've never had a problem getting it to hold. I don't shoot or even own any open guns, but I have a plethora of AR platform rifles and have always used it on the muzzle devices on them. It's pretty much a must when running a suppressor that screws onto the muzzle device.

Edited by 392heminut