Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beware reloading Norma 9mm brass

rgoberle

I have run across some Norma 9mm brass that has a smaller than standard flash hole. The first time I found this

was when I was sizing and my decapping pin got stuck in the flash hole. I had to remove the shell plate

to get the case out and drive the decapping pin out of the case. I then checked some other Norma cases and found some had

the standard size flash hole and some had the smaller flash hole. It is very apparent that the flash holes are markedly different.

Tried to talk to Norma but only got a recording saying to leave a message.

Anyone else had this issue?

There is another thread on here about the same thing. 
Most responses were to throw them in them in the recycling bin. But someone said to get a different decapping pin. 
Might be some info there if you want to search. 

2 hours ago, rgoberle said:

I have run across some Norma 9mm brass that has a smaller than standard flash hole. The first time I found this

was when I was sizing and my decapping pin got stuck in the flash hole. I had to remove the shell plate

to get the case out and drive the decapping pin out of the case. I then checked some other Norma cases and found some had

the standard size flash hole and some had the smaller flash hole. It is very apparent that the flash holes are markedly different.

Many, including myself, are using .057" decapping pins to deal with the standard & small flash holes.  IIRC, all the major die suppliers are offering pins in this approximate size.  Redding refers to them as their "benchrest" decapping pins......

https://www.google.com/search?q=.057+decapping+pin&oq=.057+decap&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqCAgBEAAYFhgeMgYIABBFGDkyCAgBEAAYFhgeMg0IAhAAGIYDGIAEGIoF0gEKMTE4OTRqMGoxNagCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#ip=1

👍

On 12/15/2023 at 5:33 PM, HOGRIDER said:

Many, including myself, are using .057" decapping pins to deal with the standard & small flash holes.  IIRC, all the major die suppliers are offering pins in this approximate size.  Redding refers to them as their "benchrest" decapping pins......

https://www.google.com/search?q=.057+decapping+pin&oq=.057+decap&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqCAgBEAAYFhgeMgYIABBFGDkyCAgBEAAYFhgeMg0IAhAAGIYDGIAEGIoF0gEKMTE4OTRqMGoxNagCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#ip=1

👍

So which one exactly works with the Lee universal Decap die?

12 hours ago, Zachjet said:

So which one exactly works with the Lee universal Decap die?

I use an EGW/LEE undersized die with squirrel daddy pins. No issues with Norma. You can get everything on amazon

4 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Not sure if anyone makes one specifically for the LUDD...........

I ended up going this route; several options/price ranges:

https://fwarms.com/product-category/reloading/decapping-dies/

👍

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

I use an EGW/LEE undersized die with squirrel daddy pins. No issues with Norma. You can get everything on amazon

thanks guys 

I know many here have been complaining about the Norma brass for a while.  I just ran across some of the new Norma brass and Wow, a couple of them look like they used a hat pin to punch the flash holes. I have a bunch of older Norma 38 specials, 270 Win and others and while they’re slightly smaller it’s nothing like these. They must have had a screw up at the factory that didn’t get caught. 

Edited by Farmer
Punc

I looked real close at the Norma brass I have, (magnifier) and could see where there was a dimple where a full sized flash hole should have been with this pin hole through it. It is like the flash hole punch was wore out and nobody bothered to replace it. 

I ran into the small Norma flash holes in 9mm cases a few months ago.  After bending a couple of regular decapping pins, I just started scrapping Norma brass.  For other reasons, I just changed over to the .003" undersized Lee sizing/decapping die, and that one-piece decapping pin just punches right through the teeny Norma flash hole like it was a beer can.  

• 3 weeks later...

There was a lot of Norma factory being sold last year, so brass to be picked up at the range and matches along with other stuff.  I decap first as a separate process on a dedicated press before wet tumble.  This lets me weed out bad brass immediately. Only throw the lever with a light two finger touch,  it will stop on a Norma case or any case with an obstruction.  They go in a bucket for when I get a smaller dia pin.  Likewise for MIL brass, they need a harder pull and go in a container for crimp removal.  

In addition to the smaller flash hole, I've noticed that the primer pocket is smaller.  I've ruined several Federal small pistol primers loading it.  Now it goes into the junk brass pile.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/15/2023 at 1:01 PM, rgoberle said:

My Dillon 9mm sizing decapping die punches right through them. My commercial decapper with a smaller pin breaks on every one. I now have to sort them out and they go right to scrap and I crush them