Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

open 38 super bullets?

davsco

i've been using hornady hap 125 jhp and zero 125 jhp (both .356) with vv3n38 but they're 'spensive.

any input on berry's .356 124g target hollow points?  any others to consider?  i see precision delta, but oos now.  thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

.355 and .356 both work fine.

For local matches I shoot the cheapest I can find. The PD 124 gr JHP are pretty cheap. For major matches I shoot the Hornady HAP 125s. Save money for the locals and shoot the good stuff when it really counts 

On 12/23/2023 at 5:03 PM, GrumpyOne said:

AFAIK, the older 38 super guns were .356, more recent ones (probably last 20- 25 years or so) are .355.

40+ years is probably more like it.  When I started in the early 90s the only time you'd run across a .356" barrel would be in an old factory Colt or something.  Nearly all the aftermarket barrels I can remember for sale were .355"

FWIW, I've found Hornady HAPs to be the most accurate JHP in all three Open guns.  They are followed quite closely by the Zero clone.  Next comes Everglades and Precision Delta.    Differences are small.  When I run out of the Zeros, I'll be using PD 115 JHP V2s for 9 major and the same in 124 for 9mm minor and subminor.

• 3 months later...

.355 will work just fine.  I haven’t ran the HAP because of the price.   I’ve ran some Poly for test loads but not many since it’s a compensated gun. I stick to jackets.  PD, Montana gold, and RMR is who I have been recommended to.