Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Longshot for 9mm Major?

crsuribe

Hey all!

Longshot is slow burning but loud, according to this burn rate chart, it looks like it could be good for 9 major if the noise isn't an issue? In shotgun sports they call it LOUDshot for a reason, haha!

I've ran a 172PF load with 7.4gr of Longshot and 1.165" OAL before and it seemed to work well.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone else tried it?

I have about 16lbs of it left from my 10mm days and yeah it seems pretty versatile and clean burning! I was wondering if there would be major benefits in going to one of the more popular powders like 3N38, HS-6 or AA#7 but those are supposed to be faster burning and I have so much LOUDshot (Longshot lol)

2 hours ago, Joe4d said:

seemed to have fallen out of favor when 9 major became more popular.. I woulda figured a case capacity issue with 9mm.

Interesting! 7.4 grains puts me at 168PF and 7.6 172PF with room in the case when loaded to 1.165"

22 hours ago, crsuribe said:

Interesting! 7.4 grains puts me at 168PF and 7.6 172PF with room in the case when loaded to 1.165"

yep,,, I'm surprised.. Seems when 9mm major came around it was Hs6 and Autocomp,, Was never in to 9 major, so never looked at loudshots grain to CC numbers..  

2 hours ago, Joe4d said:

yep,,, I'm surprised.. Seems when 9mm major came around it was Hs6 and Autocomp,, Was never in to 9 major, so never looked at loudshots grain to CC numbers..  

nowadays seems like A#7 and 3n38 are big favorites… I wonder if it’s worth it to try them over Loudshots (lol) maybe I’ll pick up a jug of each and do some testing but I have a lot of LS on hand

Edited by crsuribe

I have used it for a lotta 40S&W and now a ton of 9mm 147s.

I kinda backed into it, buying it (several decades ago) to load walk-back/shoot-off/cheater shells for trap (1.5oz #6) and when I realized eight pounds would last beyond my lifespan if that was all I used it for I started loading it for pistol.

After all that I have finally used up of the original shells I bought it for and just bought a Sizemaster to go back to loading 1.5oz shells, this time for 3gun when they bring out the spinner.

Many people do not like it, but I think it meters well and since it is slow it is not as much of a spike (I liked this in 40S&W).

Since many people do not like it I have never had a bunch of trouble getting it when I needed it. 

People complain about it being loud, but I have never really noticed anything objectionable.  Though admittedly I dislike shooting indoors and rarely do it, that might change my mind. 

1 hour ago, mmc45414 said:

I have used it for a lotta 40S&W and now a ton of 9mm 147s.

I kinda backed into it, buying it (several decades ago) to load walk-back/shoot-off/cheater shells for trap (1.5oz #6) and when I realized eight pounds would last beyond my lifespan if that was all I used it for I started loading it for pistol.

After all that I have finally used up of the original shells I bought it for and just bought a Sizemaster to go back to loading 1.5oz shells, this time for 3gun when they bring out the spinner.

Many people do not like it, but I think it meters well and since it is slow it is not as much of a spike (I liked this in 40S&W).

Since many people do not like it I have never had a bunch of trouble getting it when I needed it. 

People complain about it being loud, but I have never really noticed anything objectionable.  Though admittedly I dislike shooting indoors and rarely do it, that might change my mind. 

My observations exactly! Easy to find and frankly the noise seems to bother people around me more than it bothers me even indoors. And even then nobody has complained that much and I shoot a monthly USPSA indoor match. They just laugh at me as the “loud neighbor in every neighborhood”. But it seems to work my comp well, only takes 7.4gr of it to make major PF, doesn’t have a ton of flash and it’s rather clean.

Out of curiosity will pick up a jug of 3n38, AA7 and HS6 to test but I have so much LS on hand I don’t see myself switching anytime soon. 

i love longshot... it is loud... RO's hates it. one way to get them a bit far from you while shooting. 

do yourself a favor buy the 8lbs and buy two or more of the same lot. Unless of course you don't mind chrono'ing every opened keg.

There was some batches back then that it was too slow. Simple enough for me i set that lot aside for minor steel challenge.

1 hour ago, Yagi said:

do yourself a favor buy the 8lbs and buy two or more of the same lot. Unless of course you don't mind chrono'ing every opened keg.

There was some batches back then that it was too slow. 

Maybe that’s why they lowered the max load for 10mm and a couple others from the old manual to the online one. 

3 hours ago, Yagi said:

i love longshot... it is loud... RO's hates it. one way to get them a bit far from you while shooting. 

There was some batches back then that it was too slow. Simple enough for me i set that lot aside for minor steel challenge.

Great advise

One of my favorite powders. Its my back up powder if I cant get my hands on AA#7 but I load 7.6grs of longshot ( versus 10grs of #AA7) 1.165" behind a 124gr bullet for 9mm major. 

I prefer AA#7 because it mak was alot more gas with 2 ( 3/16") popple holes its flat. Longshot is LOUD and decently flat with out the popple holes.

LongShot has been sitting for 6months since AA#7 has been plentiful in stock.

Edited by RippSpeed

38 minutes ago, RippSpeed said:

One of my favorite powders. Its my back up powder if I cant get my hands on AA#7 but I load 7.6grs 1.165" behind a 124gr bullet for 9mm major. 

I prefer AA#7 because it mak was alot more gas with 2 ( 3/16") popple holes its flat. Longshot is LOUD and decently flat with out the popple holes.

LongShot has been sitting for 6months since AA#7 has been plentiful in stock.

I just ordered some No. 7 to try, might use it when I get my MPA which has 4 popples plus the comp and continue to use LS with my Czechmate

4 hours ago, crsuribe said:

I just ordered some No. 7 to try, might use it when I get my MPA which has 4 popples plus the comp and continue to use LS with my Czechmate

The AA#7 is dirty with popple holes ... I think with an island barrel itll be cleaner. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, vegaspete61 said:

I used to use SR 4756 in my STI 38 super comp gun but it has been discontinued. Now Longshot at 8.5 grains with an 

Everglades 115 HP makes 175 pf. 

Does the LS produce enough gas to work your comp and popples, if any? I’m thinking probably works just fine

1 hour ago, crsuribe said:

Yeah seems super gassy, I might end up using 3N38 or sticking with Longshot

Yeah it makes a ton of gas. Isnt that what you want to work the comp. The more the gas the better ???

Ive used AA#7 ever since the beginning of this year and with popple holes for the past couple months ... it has really flatten and out both my main gun and back up.

Main gun is nose heavy and my back up is alot more balance. But I prefer my main gun because its alot more flatter with AA#7 and softer.

1 hour ago, RippSpeed said:

Yeah it makes a ton of gas. Isnt that what you want to work the comp. The more the gas the better ???

Ive used AA#7 ever since the beginning of this year and with popple holes for the past couple months ... it has really flatten and out both my main gun and back up.

Main gun is nose heavy and my back up is alot more balance. But I prefer my main gun because its alot more flatter with AA#7 and softer.

Yeah what I meant is the gas is very visible, like thick white/greyish gas that is very visible, not sure if other powders that seem to burn cleaner produce similar amounts of gas without it being so dirty and/or visible? Hope that makes sense!

I guess the way I plan to test this is by loading some AA#7, Longshot and 3N38 and recording the gun in slow motion to see if the most visibly gassy AA#7 really has the best effect on the comp and popples... from just reading about it, though, it seems as though 3N38 might be a good combination of gas and cleanliness, just based off what Christian Sailer and others say about it

I used VV N105 in my 38s open gun (until it was discontinued). Charge weight is related to how much gas the charge will make when fired. I started with LS when I first started loading 38s, and it worked well, but was LOUD. N105 worked much better, because the charge weight was higher (8.5 for LS, 10.5 for N105). 3n38 is probably gonna be my replacement powder.