Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Higher power (not major) powders for 9mm

datderecelltech

Hi all,

Currently loading sport pistol for 147gr minor pf for uspsa. Settling for 3.7gr at 1.1oal for low 130s pf.
Tried to get some higher velocity loads also. While I did manage mid 140s pf with 4.1gr, the velocity increase between 3.9 and 4.1 was very steep and I was worried about pressure issues (non I saw based on cases)
I would like another powder for:
Able to replicate velocity of self defense loads with 147 gr (~1000fps on 3.6” barrel) without risk of pressure)
Able to use for target load for 115 (secondary to sport pistol) 
Able to use for light bullets (90gr) to produce fast velocity 
Non of the loads will be used for actual self defense, just for practice
So far I have settled on trying the following per natoreloading:
BE 86(seems like a better power pistol)
True blue 
Silhouette

Curious about everyone’s experience with those three powders. 

Criteria:
Must meter well
Must work well with progressive press
Meet the goals listed above

Thank you for advance!

16 hours ago, Farmer said:

I’ve tried BE86 with mixed results with accuracy. Silhouette gave the best accuracy and good vel but can get a little dirty with light loads. Not bad just a little cornmeal flakes. 

I love BE86,,, but have only used it in larger cases, used it in my pin thumper loads, 45acp under 250's  front of table and 357 under 180 for back of table loads.  I never bench rested it, but at 20 yards seem to be as accurate as anything else, and I was getting single digit SD's  .  I am gearing up to load a couple K of 44 magnum,  probably go with 200 gr bullets around 900 fps,, for a shorter barreled gun and cast bullets.

Back to the OP though.. I know its not in vogue on the forums, but in 9mm tight group can do everything the op is asking for.

Edited by Joe4d

I did a small test between Sil and TB. Bullet was RMR 124 JHP, Fed Brass and WW primer. Seating depth was .020 from lands in a 4.5” XDM bbl. 
True Blue.           Silhouette 

5.7g.                         5.7g

Av. 1160.           Av.  1207

ES- 39.              ES. 17

SD- 17.               SD. 7

Both shot pretty close with the edge going to Sil. I haven’t tried #5 in the 9 but it works excellent in the 45 when you push it. 

True Blue and Silhouette are reasonably close but not exact.

True Blue is probably a little more "universal" than Silhouette.

You will find 9mm major recipes using Silhouette while True Blue is not typically used there.

I've used them both for 9mm minor PF loads around 130.

I think True Blue works better for that scenario than Silhouette but people typically recommend a faster powder than either of those for 9mm minor.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I’m a little late to this conversation. I also read NATO reloading and in the past two years I’ve experimented with about 15 different powders.  I am not a competitor, just somebody who likes recreational target shooting and reloading.

I got best all-around results with silhouette actoss different bullet weights. Silhouette has a solid reputation for this type of performance.  I also tried true blue, which I love, but didn’t get as good results with accuracy. I will continue using this in 45 ACP, which gives excellent accuracy in that cartridge.

For 147 grain bullets, my preferred weight, N330 and Autocomp were the best with my gun and bullets.  After their testing, NATO reloading said they think N330 and N340 are the best 9mm powders.  The best powders for you will vary based on your personal preferences and what your gun likes.

If you want higher performance, I would highly recommend N350 and Accurate #7.  I bought these to get a little more velocity with 147 grain bullets and they are both superb.  These were my last two powders that I tested and I wish I would’ve started using them earlier.  N350 is a different beast than medium burning powders and has some punch.  It is also very accurate with 115 and 124 grain bullets.  It will put a smile on your face. Accurate #7 so far has been a little more accurate.  I still want to do a lot more testing with both powders.

From here on out, I just plan on using Accurate #7, N350, N330, and on occasion silhouette.

I was a  long time N320 user for 40 major and 9 minor.  I read about N330 on here, made the switch and now I have 5k practice bullets with 147 grain projectiles and 3.5 grains of N320.  I'm using 124 grain RMR TC Matchwinners over 4.7 grains of N330 to 1.125" that will shoot 1.5" at 25 yards with my GGI pistols and Staccatos.  Made 137 PF our of my XC at the Piney Woods Shootout.  Plenty of gas for the comp and still plenty soft.