Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Winchester Primers

varminter22

6 hours ago, varminter22 said:

So, perhaps you and I are the only ones to use - and have an issue with - the new Win small pistol primers.  

Federal has always been my favorite, but were hard to find for a long time.  Thankfully, it seems like they are becoming more available. 

I'll not buy any more of the new (red/black/white box) Win primers.   

Yup, cci and feds only for me. Ideally feds that way it doesn't matter where they go, Single, striker, double action they all go bang. 

8 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

I bet that's why Dorothy is glad she ain't in Kansas anymore!

Actually she missed Kansas and wanted to go home. “There is no place like home” clicked her heels 👠 3 times. Bam she was back in Kansas. A little bit of trivia for the mis-informed 😁

• 1 month later...

I've been looking for some Federal #100 SPP.  Saw Miwall in this thread and bought what I needed.  Mine came UPS.  I had the opportunity to change the delivery location to a local UPS Store.  Might have to do that next time.  Thanks for the lead on primers!

I like the Kansas talk - Lived in Dodge City for 3 years.

2 hours ago, hueycrew said:

I've been looking for some Federal #100 SPP.  Saw Miwall in this thread and bought what I needed.  Mine came UPS.  I had the opportunity to change the delivery location to a local UPS Store.  Might have to do that next time.  Thanks for the lead on primers!

Yep, Miwall in California is my "go to" for Federal Small Pistol Primers.

5 hours ago, hueycrew said:

When did you live in Dodge? It was my home from 1991 to 2000.

Al Bundy's Dodge was really several different Plymouth Dusters.  The show outlived at least 4 Dusters.

https://youtu.be/_xM1H-tlnm8?si=-JWHrhpRxsZXgZMj&t=15

I grew up in Tribune, Kansas, 135 miles north and west of Dodge City.  2 hrs 15 minutes by google maps today, about an hour for the average Kansas farmer's pick up, before the 1974 gas crunch gave Kansas a speed limit.

Pskys2 photos bring back some memories.....NOT!  I can't remember shinola other than Kansas was a good place.......to be FROM.

Nolan

latg005.jpg

latg008.jpg

latg179.jpg

Edited by Nolan

Well it looks like the thread has meandered elsewhere, but if anyone still cares about the original topic at hand, here's my bit of info to add to the timetable.

Our club ordered a large batch of the red/white/black Winchester primers pre pandemic and they arrived around 2021.  They were fine and lit off same as the previous Blue box.

However shortly after 2021 I noticed that the Winchester white box 9mm ammo labelled "Target/Practice" were incredibly hard.  Even harder than CCI ammo. My Glock that had no problem with win primers for years would not light off a single round.  A CZ SP-01 with 11.5lb hammer spring had a high rate of failures too.  In fact winchester said they would take back this ammo when a a complaint was sent.

The newer batches of red/white/black primers, true to form were harder.  Something definitely changed in the recent batches after 2021.

Edited by Sniperboy

1 hour ago, Sniperboy said:

In fact winchester said they would take back this ammo when a a complaint was sent.

Winchester allowed me to return 7.62x39 ammo which did not ignite even with deep primer strikes, and actually reimbursed me more than I paid for it.  https://www.winchester.com/Support/Customers/Product-Support

It took a while to get the check ... maybe 8 weeks.

Though this is a Revolver Forum.

Fort Larned Kansas.  My favorite National Historical Site in Kansas. It was a living history museum when I live there.  Fort Riley is #2.

I imagine at some point revolvers were involved.

1 hour ago, hueycrew said:

Though this is a Revolver Forum.

Fort Larned Kansas.  My favorite National Historical Site in Kansas. It was a living history museum when I live there.  Fort Riley is #2.

I imagine at some point revolvers were involved.

Ft Scott is nice too

yeh they have a shop with over priced primers,,, LOL... Wife had to do a clinical their for her nursing program so I went with.. Walked around,,, The Ft Scot place was actually an ammo place from 19th century... Nice gun ammo store there.. couple decent pawn shops...
Used car lot had a  frikking buick grand national super charged.  Almost pulled trigger.

Oh and current Winchester primers suck, buy CCI or federal

25 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

yeh they have a shop with over priced primers,,, LOL... Wife had to do a clinical their for her nursing program so I went with.. Walked around,,, The Ft Scot place was actually an ammo place from 19th century... Nice gun ammo store there.. couple decent pawn shops...
Used car lot had a  frikking buick grand national super charged.  Almost pulled trigger.

Oh and current Winchester primers suck, buy CCI or federal

Joe4d you had me at the Buick grand national. Tough choice there.....  I do like Local Gun Shops that take care of customers.

On 12/20/2023 at 9:12 PM, Nolan said:

latg179.jpg

I thought that pic might have been taken at Ft Larned!  

It is a very interesting historical site to visit.  

Oh, and the Ft Larned Arms Ass'n of Larned KS hosts USPSA matches too.  A great bunch of guys there!