Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Winchester Primers

varminter22

Have any of you had issues with the new (red/black/white box) Winchester primers?  

Winchester primers have always worked just fine in my 627.  But I'm getting about 1% to 2% failures to fire with the new primers.  Strain screw is tight/no change.  

A friend (ICORE M class shooter) has also experienced the same.  

I have not used them in revolvers however I have had some FTF s in a SW m&p 2.0. they work fine in my PCCs. Available locally at $73 a brick. Federal is available at $85 (8.50 each) however I can only buy 2 packs at a time , Runnings policy

On 11/7/2023 at 4:03 PM, Squirrel45 said:

I have not used them in revolvers however I have had some FTF s in a SW m&p 2.0. they work fine in my PCCs. Available locally at $73 a brick. Federal is available at $85 (8.50 each) however I can only buy 2 packs at a time , Runnings policy

Federal Small Pistol Primers are available from Miwall in California for $70 a thousand.

13 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Federal Small Pistol Primers are available from Miwall in California for $70 a thousand.

yeh was looking at them,,, but they do the signature required thing,,, so nope for me,, do they do some kinda guaranteed arrival time and day notification ? 

3 hours ago, Joe4d said:

yeh was looking at them,,, but they do the signature required thing,,, so nope for me,, do they do some kinda guaranteed arrival time and day notification ? 

Jeeze, Joe. You want me to load them and pull the trigger for you too?

Order them, sign for them, pew pew pew.

4 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Generally you’ll get a tracking # that’ll let you know when they’ll arrive. I just got some stuff from PV that said adult signature required but when it showed up my driver said he didn’t need it or it wasn’t required. You need to get to know your driver better. 😉

3 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Jeeze, Joe. You want me to load them and pull the trigger for you too?

Order them, sign for them, pew pew pew.

could you sit at my house all day everyday till they show up ? sig stuff is pretty dumb, no idea why companies do this.. They make up all kinds of BS excuses,,, but its like gun control makes it a PIA for all but the criminals,,, I mean a shipper will leave it with a crack head on the corner.. Not like they ever check ID. or even require the signature to be legible... 
Never had issue with PV , Targetsports or Midway

2 hours ago, Joe4d said:

could you sit at my house all day everyday till they show up ? sig stuff is pretty dumb, no idea why companies do this.. They make up all kinds of BS excuses,,, but its like gun control makes it a PIA for all but the criminals,,, I mean a shipper will leave it with a crack head on the corner.. Not like they ever check ID. or even require the signature to be legible... 
Never had issue with PV , Targetsports or Midway

I'm sorry your life is so much more difficult than mine. That must be very painful for you.

51 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

I'm sorry your life is so much more difficult than mine. That must be very painful for you.

Nice to see how much you care.

Gives me a warm feeling in my...

wait. I wet myself laughing at how much you care.

13 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

And then they tell you when it will be delivered: "M-F between the hours of 8 AM and 9 PM"

Quite handy for the working man!

Yo Doc.

Sorry, but I hardly believe Fed X would not give you a delivery date and estimated time.  All you need to do is click on the tracking number.  They will also say if a signature is required.  That is a fact.  No way I believe Fed X would not provide this to you if you hit the tracking number.  

And like others here, the 'Signature Required' thing seems to be a moving target.  Have sat here waiting for a Fed X delivery of primers with Signature Required only to have the delivery guy say - 'not needed'.  Other times, have had to sign. Same with UPS.  

Bottom line is that I personally do not believe that Fed X or UPS would not give you a date and estimated time of delivery.  The signature thing is a maybe. 

GG

11 minutes ago, gargoil66 said:

Yo Doc.

Sorry, but I hardly believe Fed X would not give you a delivery date and estimated time.  All you need to do is click on the tracking number.  They will also say if a signature is required.  That is a fact.  No way I believe Fed X would not provide this to you if you hit the tracking number.  

And like others here, the 'Signature Required' thing seems to be a moving target.  Have sat here waiting for a Fed X delivery of primers with Signature Required only to have the delivery guy say - 'not needed'.  Other times, have had to sign. Same with UPS.  

Bottom line is that I personally do not believe that Fed X or UPS would not give you a date and estimated time of delivery.  The signature thing is a maybe. 

GG

True Dat.

I don't worry about it much.

As stated the signature thing is a maybe for me too.

Here's the thing; If a guy is, say, at work, how does he wait at home to sign if needed?

If the tracking says, 9AM to 10AM, how does he get home to sign or not sign?

Give a working man a break! I did it for 50 years. Maybe you have too?

I am retired so I don't worry when they get here. The guy stops here almost always first cause I'm on his way out. The guy is really great! Some drivers not so much.

My dogs like to try to get in his van for their "treats".

I give the benefit of the doubt to somebody trying to make do. Do you?

Not all delivery guys, shippers or home situations are identical.

yeh and as mentioned it does nothing for security or delivery confirmation. They dont ask for ID or a legible signature.
So generally I just ask before I order if UPS will leave on porch..I just avoid the companies that participate in the silliness. Plenty of places to order,
Surprisingly Powder Valley prices are still pretty high,,,  I am close enough I could do a local pickup I I made it a shopping day.. But some folks told me about scheels and they look good but of course out of stock of federals. 

1 hour ago, gargoil66 said:

Yo Doc.

GG

Out here in the hinterlands of fly over country, it's not so cut and dried.

Before retirement had a situation where I couldn't make the times the local post office was open, 2 to 4 pm only, and that turned into a weeklong adventure in tracking it down.

Post office solved that issue, closed down the office a decade ago now.

Edited by pskys2

4 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

Out here in the hinterlands of fly over country, it's not so cut and dried.

pretty much delivery days are just a suggestion,,, pretty much everything has a delivery date, then u get a email its delayed, or date has changed. Often they will drop stuff at post office and say its delivered,, or drop stuff at post office and say it will be delivered before 8 pm,, but its already after 12 and I know the mail lady isnt coming back..

We get some fill in drivers that are real dandy’s. I have an old mailbox that’s 3/4 miles from the house that we don’t use. The other day my wife had some stuff coming that said delivered but it was nowhere to be found. On the tracking it says, delivered to “Other”. Went down and looked in the box and sure enough it was in there, with something else she had been waiting for. Guess I’m going to have to take the box down because their too lazy to drive the extra distance. 

Edited by Farmer

On 11/7/2023 at 4:03 PM, Squirrel45 said:

So, perhaps you and I are the only ones to use - and have an issue with - the new Win small pistol primers.  

Federal has always been my favorite, but were hard to find for a long time.  Thankfully, it seems like they are becoming more available. 

I'll not buy any more of the new (red/black/white box) Win primers.   

1 hour ago, varminter22 said:

So, perhaps you and I are the only ones to use - and have an issue with - the new Win small pistol primers.  

Federal has always been my favorite, but were hard to find for a long time.  Thankfully, it seems like they are becoming more available. 

I'll not buy any more of the new (red/black/white box) Win primers.   

Win was always my favorite, when I started CCI were the problem childs.  Now i seems to be reversed. last batch of Win I bought a couple years ago seemed to have some QC issues... Like 1 bad primer per hundred it seemd like.  Missing compoud, a large primer in a small primer container,  frequent hangups inside the Dillon tubes... seemed to be only 1 or 2 boxes of a K,,, but was odd.

7 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

As stated the signature thing is a maybe for me too.

Here's the thing; If a guy is, say, at work, how does he wait at home to sign if needed?

If the tracking says, 9AM to 10AM, how does he get home to sign or not sign?

Call FDX/UPS or go online and tell them to put it on hold.  Go pick it up before or after work.  This works for most anybody who doesn't work 16 hours a day or live out in Buffalo Stump.