Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom 1911’s

Face5535

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, f2benny said:

I'm fortunate to be close to Derr Precision and he's done small work on my guns. I think he's fantastic.

IMO Greg Derr is a fraud.  He’s been kicked off several high end 1911 forums.  He’s lucky to still be listed on the custom handgun guild page.  I’ve got nothing against him personally but I don’t deem him a trust worthy individual 

8 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

Les Baer and Wilson Combat. Between the two I have about 7.

Baer’s are great, I’m not a Wilson guy.  Imo both of these would be more semi custom than custom.  That said, can’t go wrong with a Baer!

8 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

Custom enough for me, I guess. :lol:

Full custom? Harrison Custom. John does amazing work.

John does great work!  I’m pretty sure he’s retiring from building but he’s still offering great parts!

3 hours ago, WFargo said:

I wish I could own a pistol done by Jeremy Reid. 

His attention to detail is incredible. 

Yep! JR is amazing….  His carry bevel is second to none.  I also think having him build on a stainless Colt really allows his work to shine!

2 hours ago, donnyglock said:

Jeremy would be my first choice. I absolutely love his work and style. 

I’m on his books, I’m probably about a year out give or take.  Really looking forward to getting one of his in hand!

6 hours ago, zzt said:

I think his book is still closed.

Lucky for me I build some badass guns. Lol. So I’ll build my own. There’s a few builders of fine 1911’s that really speak to me as a professional. Jeremy is at the top

of that list for me personally. 

8 minutes ago, JayDee said:

Stan Chen makes some great looking guns. 

I’ve seen two Chens in person.  That said, I have only seen a handful of pictures of Stan’s work.  Extremely rare.  Got one?  pics?!

1 minute ago, mandiesel said:

I've been on the Alchemy kick lately!  ton of talented smiths out there.  Its a shame Ted Yost isnt in the game anymore!

Im not an Alchemy guy…  Tons of potential, I just think they get it close on everything “good enough”, they need a carry bevel in the worst way.  The under cut at the front strap all seem like there’s no hand work done to clean up the edges and smooth the transitions, they are sharp… they need more dehorning, I’ve seen a bunch that the slide stop was sitting on the link in lock up, grip safeties needed tuning, and thumb safeties were too tightly fit…  That said, the trigger work is pretty good, and the guns are accurate.  

Yost…. Yes, he’s an old world type smith, but his 1911’s are not my thing for the money.  Although he and Burton are similar, gimme a Burton 10 times out of 10 over a Yost.

Ive had good luck with my pistols from ACW... they are more of shooters than collectables for me.

What are you thoughts on Karl Beining (KGB Customs)??

9 minutes ago, Face5535 said:

Im not an Alchemy guy…  Tons of potential, I just think they get it close on everything “good enough”, they need a carry bevel in the worst way.  The under cut at the front strap all seem like there’s no hand work done to clean up the edges and smooth the transitions, they are sharp… they need more dehorning, I’ve seen a bunch that the slide stop was sitting on the link in lock up, grip safeties needed tuning, and thumb safeties were too tightly fit…  That said, the trigger work is pretty good, and the guns are accurate.  

Yost…. Yes, he’s an old world type smith, but his 1911’s are not my thing for the money.  Although he and Burton are similar, gimme a Burton 10 times out of 10 over a Yost.

Jeremy Reid is next level! That stainless Colt with the shrinking diamond pattern was unbelievable. 

I dig the work Kirk at Golden Valley Firearms is doing. His rust blue finish is awesome.

Far as I know, both of those guys are manual only, super impressive.

Edited by Cam73