Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom 1911’s

Face5535

56 minutes ago, lefty o said:

ive always like Ted Yost's work. he makes beautiful guns.

Ted is retired…. It’s of my opinion there is no way you can address all the things that need to be addressed on a custom gun in a week… and that’s how long it was taking Ted to build a gun. He was typically pushing out 7+ guns a month.   That only means he’s taking short cuts and not addressing everything.

When it comes to that style, Burton is what I would be choosing.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve never owned, handled, or fired an infinity.  It seems like I hear mixed things about them…. That said, I’ve always been curious about them.

1 hour ago, donnyglock said:

Because they aren’t on the level of the custom 1911 greats. Not even close. 

Serious question, what do those guys do that infinity can't/won't?

Baer is the only one I have seen that will guarantee accuracy, all else really seems fluff to me and I like infinity's fluff the best lol

Edited by RJH

You folks know a lot more about custom gun makers than I do. What do you think about Cabot Guns in PA? Reason I ask is I am a LH shooter and I saw they make a LH 1911 that is a mirror image of a 1911 (ejection port on left, etc). They say they are full custom and the details of parts, etc look promising. I need this gun like a hole in the head but I am in a position to buy one ($6300+) just because. Big negative the turnaround is 18 to 24 months. 

Would love to hear your thoughts about quality, reputation,  etc.

13 minutes ago, LHshooter said:

You folks know a lot more about custom gun makers than I do. What do you think about Cabot Guns in PA? Reason I ask is I am a LH shooter and I saw they make a LH 1911 that is a mirror image of a 1911 (ejection port on left, etc). They say they are full custom and the details of parts, etc look promising. I need this gun like a hole in the head but I am in a position to buy one ($6300+) just because. Big negative the turnaround is 18 to 24 months. 

Would love to hear your thoughts about quality, reputation,  etc.

I personally wouldn’t buy a Cabot.  I think there are several makers far better.  As far as a lefty 1911, Joe Chambers makes one as well.  His price will be far more, and his wait time would also be much longer, but I think the gun will be much better.

I will say this, 18-24 months is very little when you’re talking about custom 1911’s.  Finding a custom smith that is actually taking work is also a challenge.

All that said, if you think Cabot looks good and the lefty 1911 appeals to you then do some more reading on Cabot as a company and if go from there.

2 hours ago, RJH said:

Serious question, what do those guys do that infinity can't/won't?

Baer is the only one I have seen that will guarantee accuracy, all else really seems fluff to me and I like infinity's fluff the best lol

The fact you think the rest is fluff means you’ve never had a true custom work of art in your hand. It’s noticeable from every angle. I build high end 2011’s and to be 100% honest. Infinity fit and finish wise is highly overrated. Plus I personally think most of their parts suck as well. I’ve never seen a company that shears more lower lugs off barrels..etc 

true custom guns from guys like Jeremy Reid have so much attention to every single detail it’s unreal. Guys like me appreciate the hand bevels and absolute attention to every aspect. Infinity will NEVER put that kind of time or attention into their guns. They look cool but it’s no where near that level.  
 That said, it’s ok. They aren’t trying to compete in that market. They have their own niche and it works for them. 

5 minutes ago, donnyglock said:

The fact you think the rest is fluff means you’ve never had a true custom work of art in your hand. It’s noticeable from every angle. I build high end 2011’s and to be 100% honest. Infinity fit and finish wise is highly overrated. Plus I personally think most of their parts suck as well. I’ve never seen a company that shears more lower lugs off barrels..etc 

true custom guns from guys like Jeremy Reid have so much attention to every single detail it’s unreal. Guys like me appreciate the hand bevels and absolute attention to every aspect. Infinity will NEVER put that kind of time or attention into their guns. They look cool but it’s no where near that level.  
 That said, it’s ok. They aren’t trying to compete in that market. They have their own niche and it works for them. 

Interesting, and you could be right about me never having a work of art in my hand, or if I did I didn't appreciate it for what it was. I've held/shot some custom blasters, but after a certain point it all runs together for me 

What I mean by "fluff," is after performance every thing else is secondary to me, but that is just my needs, not trying to push those needs  on anyone else. And even performance is relative to the task at hand, hell a caniks and 320s have won limited nationals, but they are probably not beating a baer in a national match type course

All, that said I am glad that people can and  do high end work even if I don't appreciate it as much as others

Thanks 👍🏻

PS this thread needs some pics.....

6 minutes ago, RJH said:

Interesting, and you could be right about me never having a work of art in my hand, or if I did I didn't appreciate it for what it was. I've held/shot some custom blasters, but after a certain point it all runs together for me 

What I mean by "fluff," is after performance every thing else is secondary to me, but that is just my needs, not trying to push those needs  on anyone else. And even performance is relative to the task at hand, hell a caniks and 320s have won limited nationals, but they are probably not beating a baer in a national match type course

All, that said I am glad that people can and  do high end work even if I don't appreciate it as much as others

Thanks 👍🏻

PS this thread needs some pics.....

This thread definitely needs more pics. 

14 hours ago, donnyglock said:

Plus I personally think most of their parts suck as well.

Found that out the hard way.

I am lucky to own a Chambers working mans gun  and a Alpha American model #4( Tim Anderson was a NHC  gunsmith- top notch work).  both in 9mm. both are flawless

To  me the custom gun offers a highe r   level of fit and finish over kitted   guns( semi customs like Wc  NHC, LB...)

None of them can out shoot a LB ( les baer) in  my injured hands.

IMHO LB and NHC  rule the custom markets due to the time spent on fitment

On 10/23/2023 at 10:49 PM, mandiesel said:

Ive had good luck with my pistols from ACW... they are more of shooters than collectables for me.

What are you thoughts on Karl Beining (KGB Customs)??

Karl is a great person and a top tier gunsmith in my opinion

On 3/3/2024 at 7:18 PM, LHshooter said:

What do you think about Cabot Guns in PA?

Cabot  buts a top notch semi custom gun NOW.  they show a lot of pride in their fitment and  finish work. as  close to a custom made  as you can get (IMHO)  for a semi custom price

On 3/3/2024 at 9:02 PM, donnyglock said:

true custom guns from guys like Jeremy Reid have so much attention to every single detail it’s unreal.

^^^ this is why custom gun makers get the big  $$$. Their time is expressed by  the product  .  great gunsmiths truly take the work to the next level. you do have to feel  them and shoot them to appreciate them

Gordon Fallick built one for me about 20 yrs ago but he's not in the biz anymore. Big Bore was his model name if you find one. Gordon was recommended to me by a colleague who had been on the AF pistol team and had several of his custom 1911's. Had a beautiful Damascus steel 1911 Gordy had built.

Saltzman Gun Works in Tipton, IN for me.  Ray has built me great race guns back on the 80's and recently took my Bianchi Cup gun and made it a standard 5" 9mm but nothing is standard, tack driver like all the rest.  For a while he has been making long range rifles and the guys shooting them have racked up a bunch of trophies.  I've known him since the early 80's and can get him to build or work on any of my stuff.

I’m en the process of commissioning a build with Evolution Armory, this is my first time wading into the true custom realm, I have NH, Wilson, GI, ACW, LB , I’m looking forward to comparing 

48 minutes ago, asierra350 said:

I’m en the process of commissioning a build with Evolution Armory, this is my first time wading into the true custom realm, I have NH, Wilson, GI, ACW, LB , I’m looking forward to comparing 

Dave does nice work.  I think you will be happy with what you get:)