Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

i've been keeping track of my gas mileage on my 2003 ford f-150 supercrew truck since 2002 for work reasons. check out the average gas prices from 2002-2005:

year________avg price_____percentage change

2002_________1.209

2003_________1.420__________15%

2004_________1.729__________18%

2005_________2.163__________20%

from 2002 to 2005_____________56%.

when the oil companies sneak up the price, it doesn't cause such a fuss.

just thought i'd share this little tidbit.

lynn

What percentage did profit margin for oil companies go up or down during that time?

The Oil companies made 43.3 billion dollars in the first half of this year. That's profit, not gross revenue. That was about a 42% increase from the same time '04.

when the oil companies sneak up the price, it doesn't cause such a fuss.

just thought i'd share this little tidbit.

lynn

Lynn,

You are so right. I've noticed that there will be a crisis, say.. Katrina. Pre-Katrina prices in the Mobile area were about $1.98-2.05. Katrina drove the prices up to over$3.00. We were outraged. Now prices have fallen back to the $2.20 range and we are all tickled pink because the prices have fallen so. But they are still .20-.25/gal higher than they were in August. Like your table shows, 15-20% or more a year.

dj

Hell, I'd be thrilled with 2005 average price. Haven't seen anything that low here since around February.

Lots of states (especially Washington) piled a bunch of new taxes on the price.

My fuel company break the price down on the statement. Here are some rounded numbers:

Federal Excise Tax: 18%

Idaho Excise Tax: 25%

Washington Excise Tax: 31%

There are other minor taxes (sales, environmental, etc) that add up to around 1%.

So my gas right now is about about $1.80 a gallon. The rest is all taxes.

What is reallllll interesting is how the price in Washington and Idaho is identical yet the taxes are rather different.

But according to investigations by the Attorney's General for both states there is no price fixing going on here.

Yeah, right.

And it will keep happening because we will keep paying the price they ask.

The "heavy raise and then lower prices to higher than before" technique really works wonders on our perceptions. The oil companies have truly earned their 43.3 billion in mad money with all the creativity and hard work they put into their price gouging ;-/

Two things I noticed this year:

1. The oil companies' profits rose proportionally to the price increases "due to storms/wars/insert whatever".

and

2. The prices suddenly dropped like rocks in a lake when Bush made a speech that mentioned importing oil from Siberia.

Hhmmm...

brundoggie,

what are you whining about, honolulu is 20-30 cents a gallon cheaper than maui.

and the best part is the gas companies are making record profits with the states permission. thanks to a gas cap law the legislature passed last year, in addition to 50 cents per gallon taxes we pay, they tied in our prices with the s. cal. gulf coast and new york gas prices. our oil supply wasn't affected by katarina, but because the gulf coast was, our prices jumped a buck. a month and a half after, it started to go down. now with winter, and the price of heating oil in NY apparently affecting gas prices, our is going up again. and this is all with the states blessing. now tell me again how this is good for me :angry:

And it will keep happening because we will keep paying the price they ask.

The "heavy raise and then lower prices to higher than before" technique really works wonders on our perceptions. The oil companies have truly earned their 43.3 billion in mad money with all the creativity and hard work they put into their price gouging ;-/

And I'm sure a sizable amount of that 43.3 B will find its ways into various political bipartisan pockets..... <_<

Hey guys, not to be a wiseass or anything .. but how about you drive less, and buy vehicles that get better milage? I like big cars and lots of horse power just as much as anyone else, but SUV's that get maybe 10 miles to gallon and can haul 1 ton of gear driven around to the store to buy milk might be a bit much.

I am a bit surprised that so many people complain about basic capitalism. If you don't like the price of the product dont buy it. On my drive to work I can buy gas on my way in or on my way back home. There are two gas stations across from each other on the highway I use daily. Competition means that those two gas stations have the lowest prices around currently one at 2.01 the other at 2.03.

I ask you, what is your solution? Do you want fixed prices? Maybe government mandatated maximums (cause the government does so well at other jobs)? You guys are looking at one of the few industries more regulated then the gun industry, who are not allowed to build refineries in most states and who are the mercy of at least 50 different governments who feel a need to tax their product more then even cigaretes and demend formulation more exotic then the next guy. You are looking at getting a liquid from 1000 yards under the sands of Arabia or such other hell hole, pay bribes to 30 governments (ours included), transport the crap half way around the world, refine it (in 40 different flavors), then ship it to hundreds of distribution points who adjust prices on hourly bases.

And how much does that cost? In my 'hood, $2.10 if you dont shop around. I can't buy a gallon of "spring" water for that kind of money and that stuff comes out of the hose at the local bottling plant and travels maybe 50 miles, with minum regulations and basically no taxes.

And despite, the cries of high prices we are still far of the highest prices in the US (adjusting for inflation) and WAY cheaper then Europe has been for decades. I see local shooters complaining about the prices of gas the pour into their F350's they drive to work and back, while they buy their second open gun and second AR in less then a year.

Could it be that our standards and expectations maybe just a bit out of wack?

Edited by Vlad

If you don't like the price of the product dont buy it

Good points you made Vlad, but a rather unrealistic sentiment in quotes. I won't be riding a bicycle to work very often unless I move a heck of a lot closer to where I work and that won't be happening in anyones dream. The small pickup truck with open bed I drive everyday is a necessity for life and work. I would love to usurp the situation and just walk away from this overpriced commodity, but saying and doing that are two distinctly different things that will not get easier to reconcile at any time soon for any of us.

Marie Antoinette didn't really say it, but her supposed historic statement about eating cake rings right up there with yours, Vlad. Very idealogical, very principalistic, but not very practical at all!

The real bottom line here is that in 1959, gas was under 30¢ a gallon and a loaf of bread cost less than 20¢ and that these items have advanced in cost at similar rates through the intervening years along with most everything else. The other bottom line is that there is no way in heck any of us are going to be able to stop buying either of these commodities in the forseeable future, whether we like it or not ;-/

--

Regards,

I was driving down one of the main throughfares in Mobile last week and from the top of a certain hill I could see about 4-5 miles. It was bumper-to-bumper in six lanes of traffic as far as I could see.

When I was a youth, most folks had only one vehicle, if they had that. We lived in small towns which allowed us to walk to church, the local convienience store and to school (yeah, in the snow, uphill, both ways :lol: .) The most gas we would burn would be when the family would take a trip to Grandma's house.

Seque to today. I have five vehicles parked at my house. Although one is for sale and we will soon be down to four, there are only three drivers in our house and we don't walk anywhere. We pay for gym memberships to exercise...and drive there.

I drive a Honda on my daily 80 mile commute, but as George alluded to, We really do like our cake/cars.

FWIW

dj

the gas prices in memphis are low maybe because we have a reifnery here.

a few years ago gas stations would put the amount of tax per gallon on the pumps it was 35 cents, and that was a few years ago.

lynn

btw, my truck gets 16.3 miles per gallon highway or city. not great, but better than an h2

They have been doing it for years...they raise the price over the peak driving months,usually in the summer usually 25 cents per gallon and then in the fall drop it back 12 cents and it never again reaches the original price.....the storms just made it worse and it went up a dollar and then came down 60 cents and now we have stopped complaining so they just smile and go to the bank.. :angry:

Sure you cant not buy ANY gas. Our economy is way to centered on it. However you can buy fuel efficient vehicles, move closer to work, share a ride, take the bus, etc. Not everyone can do that, but a lot of people can and their action would reduce the demend for gas, which would leave the producers with an extra supply which in turn would result in lower prices for everyone. But those kind of changes are not part of the current American way if life.

On the subject of profits, do you guys imagine a few fat cats in a club who made 50 extra billions this year? No doubt some CEO's made a few extras million when the companies made 50 extra billion, but frankly that why they get payed to do so thats ok. Where do you think the rest of the money went? My guess is that most of you have some of it. Everyone is thrilled when their 401k or pension plan jumps a few points and then curse Big Oil but forget that Big Oil are publicly traded and that they own some of it.

Lastly the issue of increasing profits. Maybe it isnt linear, I dont have all the relevant data, but if we buy more and more of a product the seller will make a higher profit without raising their prices. Maybe they didnt, maybe they didnt, but profits will rise as we buy more of the stuff.

And Flex, dont you dare. I'll get Big Oil, and the Trilateral Commision to stop selling you ANY gas.