Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Certified match ammo in S2O

rowdyb

1 hour ago, Nathanb said:

Man looking at that profile it might be close rowdy. I hope someone can help you with this 

Taking just in case ammo would negate the whole point of buying ammo there hahaha. I really don't wanna do that.

If it helps, my chrono info (Shadow 1) has the 147 gr Comp Minor ammo at 1.136" and PF 135.

My guns all run Blue Bullets 147 TC easily at 1.135", but RN hits the lands earlier and needs to be a bit shorter.

Edited by teros135
Add info

1 hour ago, waktasz said:

If you haven't reamed your CZ barrel for longer ammo you are f*#king up already

Having never reamed a barrel can you elaborate?  I believe that means you are re-cutting the chamber, is that correct or is there more to it?  Forgive the newb question but is this something that is needed on CZ barrels?  I have had no problems with any factory loads in my p10.

My p10c would not load any of my 124rn or 147tc coated bullets. Factory loads are fine. Newer tanfos are also short chambered but I had mine reamed before I received it.

I believe the technical term is cutting the leade or throat or freebore. The chamber itself doesn't get changed. There are a few places out there that provide the service. I've used Patriot Defense in the past. 

Edited by waktasz

I've shot Eley 147 out of my A01s reliably. And both my A01s had a much tighter tolerance than any of my Shadow 2s.

Short throated barrels seem to accept surprisingly longer rounds when they are plated or jacketed compared to coated RN or FP like Syntech. At least in my experience.

8 hours ago, waktasz said:

If you haven't reamed your CZ barrel for longer ammo you are f*#king up already

Never reamed any of the barrels in my CZs and never any issues re feeding or chambering using bullets from 95 hrs to 147 so far -- Jacketed, plated, and coated and never straight lead.  In the near future will experiment with >147.  Curious to see what happens there.  Just sayin' and know Everyone's MMV.

{Edit: Added comment on jacketed....}

Edited by GeneBray

10 minutes ago, GeneBray said:

Never reamed any of the barrels in my CZs and never any issues re feeding or chambering using bullets from 95 hrs to 147 so far -- Jacketed, plated, and coated and never straight lead.  In the near future will experiment with >147.  Curious to see what happens there.  Just sayin' and know Everyone's MMV.

{Edit: Added comment on jacketed....}

Have you plunked the ammo you're using?  My Accushadow 2 will not properly chamber 147 grain.  The bullet is hitting the rifling.  Even some 124 grain (like the Eley 124 grain competition) has the bullet hitting the rifling.  Check out the following to better understand the importance of using the correct ammo in a CZ ( Understanding Ammunition Shape and Dimension Issues (czfirearms.us) ).

No, I do not have the ammo I'm using physically with me. No, I have not used this ammo before. I put myself in a rough spot I know. To resolve the issue I ordered some of the same ammo to be delivered to my house next week. So I will have a week to work with it in my match gun to see how it all goes. Rather than finding out in the practice bay the morning of...

I know all these rules, I've shot CZ's since 2014, I worked for a CZ gunsmith and yet here I am..... 1050 or 1100 need to get back in stock for 9mm....

3 hours ago, PA_USPSA said:

Have you plunked the ammo you're using?  My Accushadow 2 will not properly chamber 147 grain

Just so everyone is on same page, you are writing about factory ammo in CZ vs reloaded. I have zero problems with any weight bullet in my CZs of all versions because I load the correct OAL for the chamber. No such luxury with factory.

In my local area people are having quality issues with 9mm Syntech in many models and manufacturers of guns.  OAL too long, accuracy and tumbling of Syntech are common. 

BTW rowdyb is one of the old established experts here on Enos. I’d listen to him. 

Edited by HesedTech

16 hours ago, PA_USPSA said:

Have you plunked the ammo you're using?  My Accushadow 2 will not properly chamber 147 grain.  The bullet is hitting the rifling.  Even some 124 grain (like the Eley 124 grain competition) has the bullet hitting the rifling.  Check out the following to better understand the importance of using the correct ammo in a CZ ( Understanding Ammunition Shape and Dimension Issues (czfirearms.us) ).

That's a great link thank you for sharing.  Somewhat new to CZs here so much appreciated as I don't reload.

Got the Eley Competition 9mm 147gr ammo today. Ran it in my gen 5 Glock 17 and a Shadow 2 Orange. It made pf in both of them. It functioned perfectly being slowly hand cycled and then shot in both guns.

The extreme spread in the Shadow 2 Orange  was 74fps, the standard deviation was 14, and the average pf of 10 rounds at random was 129.7 power factor.

The rounds very consistently measured 1.142" for me. Round nose profile.

I shot 10 rounds, standing freestyle, at 30 yards into a (size medium) fist sized group. This is great for me so super happy with the accuracy as well.

I feel very confident picking up 550 rounds of this at Prod nats in a few weeks.

I've been away from competing seriously for over a year and half due to a major illness/injury. So just a reminder for myself and others....

Don't travel to a match without a spare gun.

Don't make any changes to your gun before a match unless you can extensively test them.

Check the zero of your gun as close as possible to the day your fly or drive out.

If you're using ammo you bought versus made, get extra and check it. No matter what. Function, chrono, grouping.

Don't "think" something is right or will work, but rather know.