Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your Nats predictions for 2023

rowdyb

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For LO, unless more registrants change, I see KC winning and someone like Matt Hemple just outside 5%, Max Leograndis could be there too. Good open shooters like Patches Reeder, David Lyell, Sammy Nelson or Eric Steiner could be close behind. I’d be shocked if Cory K broke low 80s%, which would be a record finish for him in a handgun match with top shooters.

As a Texas guy Cory k was an emotional pick. Matt H will carry the flag, I didn't see his name when I scanned. Eric S could definitely bring some Open magic.

Edited by rowdyb

After day 1, some egregiously sketchy ratings math says:

Open:

1. Sailer

2. Eusebio

3. Vlieger/Jones

Sailer has some solid separation developing, KC is a little bit ahead of the third place pair, and Eddins/Murdock/Hyder/JJ are all within easy distance of third.

PCC:

1. Max L.

2-3. Froelich/Jordan/Greene/Justine Williams/Zack Smith/Barrett/Castro

Max has a solid-looking lead, and the rest of the top 10 looks extremely close so far.

The process behind these predictions:

1. Apply Elo rating changes based on today's stages.

2. Run the Elo prediction math on the people attending the match.

3. For stages a shooter hasn't shot, give him [predicted % finish] * [stage points] points from that stage.

The first item tries to capture competitors' performances today. Even though there's a limited amount of shooter overlap on day 1, we can at least reason about how people are doing by comparison to their peers in the same zone, and adjust predictions based on those trends. Tomorrow ought to show whether this is a sensible method, after the second day of shooters rolls through each zone.

I'm following Joey Sauerland with interest—he's out there tearing it up with his Limited setup.

Crazy how dominant Christian s is. Only one other true GM in open this Nationals. 

Is he the best guy with a handgun in the world right now? I think he probably is.

I know he's primarily a dot shooter, but I think it was last year he shot L10 and beat Nils in the overall with Nils shooting a single stack gun. I know that's not exactly apples to apples, but it may be the closest that we have right now. And I know he didn't win open last year, but that seems way more the anomaly than him winning basically every match he enters

Justine finishing 2nd in PCC nats last year apparently was the highest a woman has placed in any nats

I think it’s a reasonable argument that Sailer is the best handgun shooter in the world. Certainly optics - the interesting head to head would be him vs. Eric Grauffel, as it seems Eric prefers to shoot irons / production (he did at IPSC worlds)

5 minutes ago, whan said:

Justine finishing 2nd in PCC nats last year apparently was the highest a woman has placed in any nats

I think it’s a reasonable argument that Sailer is the best handgun shooter in the world. Certainly optics - the interesting head to head would be him vs. Eric Grauffel, as it seems Eric prefers to shoot irons / production (he did at IPSC worlds)

I agree sailor versus EG would be a great match. Grauffel used to shoot open all the time but switched to production for several years. Maybe they would need to run one match of each irons versus optics

8 hours ago, RJH said:

I agree sailor versus EG would be a great match. Grauffel used to shoot open all the time but switched to production for several years. Maybe they would need to run one match of each irons versus optics

EG is shooting production again in the upcoming European championships

15 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Nice to see Crazy Legs make an appearance again

Screenshot_20230910_191319_Chrome.jpg

Did anyone predicted JJ dropping out from the match? Anyone know what happen there?

On a side note. It is interesting to see the person promoting and pushing an alternative competition league/sport is still shooting the USPSA nationals... Why do that if USPSA is that bas as a sport? Or if it is not bad - why do we need another sport?

15 minutes ago, euxx said:

Did anyone predicted JJ dropping out from the match? Anyone know what happen there?

On a side note. It is interesting to see the person promoting and pushing an alternative competition league/sport is still shooting the USPSA nationals... Why do that if USPSA is that bas as a sport? Or if it is not bad - why do we need another sport?

I can’t claim to speak for anyone else’s motives, but my understanding is Max Leograndis, who you are referencing, approached USPSA leadership repeatedly with proposals to make USPSA multi gun a) HF based and b) appealing to the splintered multi gun competitive pool. The leadership response was, “if you don’t like it start your own,” and so eventually he did.

Other than defending his title here and at a couple other key matches, it looks like his USPSA participation has been at a minimum for a couple of years. In that he’s not unlike the reigning revolver national champion, who shoots 1-2 matches a year, at most. 

Or several former national champions who shoot weekly outlaw matches but 2-3 sanctioned matches a year.

I agree it’s a problem. I disagree that it’s highly accomplished shooters who are to blame.

I didn't say I blame any shooters. I just find it ironic for Max to still shoot any USPSA matches or even needing to defend his title. That is if he truly believes there is something wrong with USPSA as a sport.

5 minutes ago, euxx said:

I didn't say I blame any shooters. I just find it ironic for Max to still shoot any USPSA matches or even needing to defend his title. That is if he truly believes there is something wrong with USPSA as a sport.

Hell, he worked USPSA multigun Nationals this year. He said before he wants USPSA to thrive. USPSA simply did not offer what he had in mind so he created something on his own, that doesn't mean he has to dislike USPSA. That might have been the way IDPA did stuff, but I think Max doesn't think it has to be that way.

I never shot a pcsl match, but they do look interesting

2 hours ago, euxx said:

His barrel cracked/broke. Backup gun’s barrel was cracked/broke in the weeks leading up to the match is what I hear. 

Beretta seems to have some serious metallurgic problems.