Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pay Pal Says Someone Is Tampering

Got an E-mail from Pay Pal today, it said there were several attempts to log into my account from a "Foreign IP address" and If I did not respond they would lock it in 72 hrs.

Any one else get something like this?

The link came from Paypal services and offered a link to go to, I checked the link and it was not a secure link so I'm just going to sit on it for now, Will call them tomorrow and get more info.

another note, I have not used Pay pal in over a year so if it is true then there are some out there really trying hard to get info.

HOP

I had a similar thing happen to me, but it was with my Ebay account. I got an official looking email from what apppeared to be Ebay asking me to "Revalidate" my account or it will be closed.

Ebay apparently caught on to it and sent out a notice that it was a scam. Theres not much reason for you to revalidate your account or re-enter your account info if they are reputable (like PayPal or Ebay)

Your situation sounds like a similar scam, I would either ignore it or get ahold of PayPal directly before giving ANY personal info. :)

Here are a couple of good things to know about Paypal.

1. If Paypal ever emails you they will always have your Name in the email.

2. If you ever get an email out of the blue from any company that wants you to revalidate anything DO NOT USE THE LINK IN THE EMAIL. You should always manually type in the URL to check and see if it is true.(i.e. go to your browser and manually type in P A Y P A L . C O M

My boss just fell for the email you got. He mentioned it a few days later and I assured him that he had gotten scammed. He gave them everything except his first born child. It looked so real he never had a clue. When they were done tricking him they even took him back to the actuall Paypal website. If I had not said something to him he would have lost thousands of dollars.

I get a couple of those per day. Just look at where the link goes to, it's never to paypal.com. You can just disregard it or you can forward it to paypal. spoof@paypal.com

There's a similar scam for ebay also. You can forward ebay ones to spoof@ebay.com

+1 on what Scooter said..

just forward to spoof@paypal or ebay.

ebay will contact you via your account, usually not through email..same with paypal..

also I think they will address you by name..not paypal member..

sturmruger is correct. It's called "fishing". These cretins are trying to entice people to type in their login info.

Always go to the paypal/ebay website to do business. NEVER click on a link in a questionable email.

Not to just be correcting but I believe the term is "phishing" I don't know why they spell it with a ph but I do know that when I sent one to the spoof@ebay.com they assured me they would never ask for account number or passwords in any unsolicited email.

So if you get one the best thing to do is just trash it or send it in to the spoof.xxxx address.

FWIW

dj

Phishing, pharming and phreaking....the terms all came from the original days of phone hacking. Bottom line is they will never ask you to confirm anything thru email. Never give out any personal info over the internet...couple other things to check for when you are doing credit card transactions is to check and make sure there is the little gold lock at the bottom right hand side of the page and also that the address line changes from http to https signifying a secure server...Sorry to get on my soapbox but identity theft is one of the classes I teach. :ph34r::wub:

It's also why you'll see companies displaying things you select on thier web pages (I can't remember if it was a mandate or just strongly advised), but we do it already. If you got a phishing letter trying to look like us, and clicked on it, you wouldn't see the wording or picture you've selected to see.

It's a bit of a pain (one more thing to remember), but it's too prevent these types of thefts.. and those guys are getting very good at replicating sites exactly.

Like scotter said, when you mouse over (don't click) the www.paypal.com link, it's going somewhere else entirely.

It's all I've been working against lately..

Edited by BerKim

Whenever you get email like that, just right click on the message in Outlook (if you are using Outlook) and select Options. That will show the message headers. Look for the:

Received: from [some.ip.address.here] (helo=somedomain.com)

by your.upstream.mailserver with smtp (SMTP Server and Version)

id 1ErDVP-0002y8-Ea; Tue, 27 Dec 2005 04:00:42 -0800

Sometimes the helo= will not be a domain name or it will be forged. If you are running XP, 2K, NT, or Linux you can run a command called nslookup against the IP address that the message is purported to be from.

You could save yourself lots of grief by using a good spam filter like SpamBayes: http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/

And, remember, no company worth doing business online with will ever solicit you to verify information online via email.

I just received one from Wainwright Bank, asking my to verify account infromation. A. I do not have an account with said bank. B. They will never verfiy information via email. C. the link for verifing information went to a college website. Columbia College in Chicago.

You gota love our education system.

I forwarded it to the college administrator and to Wainwright bank.

Another interesting tidbit, if you open the email and then 'select all' from the edit toolbar you will generally see some hidden nonsense written at the bottom of the email. I guess it's an attempt to fool anti-spamware with words that would be found in personal emails.

I just got a very official sounding phone message on my answering machine from Dell Financial requesting verification that Meimei's daughter was opening an account with them. So I called the number back, listened to the very official sounding spiel about how to protect yourself from credit fraud with toll free numbers for 3 different credit reporting agencies (none of which I had ever heard of...warning buzzer # 1) and then finally I get to talk to somebody, but first please enter your social security number (warning buzzer # 2) so I enter 123456789 and the operator answers. He wants me to verify my birthdate and mother's maiden name (warning buzzer # 3) so I told him my birthdate was 4-1-1919 and my mother's maiden name was Phucyu! :P (Click, he hangs up!)

No sense of humor!

Nolan

Edited by Nolan