Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light loads - fast v. slow powder

Squirrel45

Trying to figure a light Steel Challenge load for my czechmate. Would say 3 or 4g of fast powder going x velocity is better then 6 or 7 g of a slow powder work better. Looking at sub minor loads using either 100g or 115g. I understand that slower powder will work comp better but I don't think the comp will do much regardless at 1000 fps. 

Thanks 

Edited by Squirrel45

13 minutes ago, PhotoRecon said:

I use Clays and Titegroup near max for standard load or they won't always cycle. 

I'm guessing a minor load with slow powder won't work the comp.

Probably the other way around. With a faster powder, it doesn't take as much to reach a certain pressure, not making as much gas, with a slower powder it takes more, making more gas, which would work the comp better

1 hour ago, Squirrel45 said:

Trying to figure a light Steel Challenge load for my czechmate. Would say 3 or 4g of fast powder going x velocity is better then 6 or 7 g of a slow powder work better. Looking at sub minor loads using either 100g or 115g. I understand that slower powder will work comp better but I don't think the comp will do much regardless at 1000 fps. 

Thanks 

Try around 3.5 of VV N320. 

My Production load is 3.5 of N320 with a 147, with a coated 147 RN, giving me a PF of 131 in Shadow 1. 

Yeah, the 115 will be faster, but you could drop that charge down to probably around 3.0 and with the right recoil spring, it should still run...and, the 147's at 3.5 grains are super soft in the Shadow.

FWIW, I saw little use from 'working the comp' in steel challenge since it's all transitions, but some people liked very light bullets with slower powder behind them as it gave a similar slide speed to their Major loads.

Forget trying to 'work' the comp for SCSA Open.  It doesn't buy you anything.  I was shooting 3N38 under a 124 for about 145-150 PF, because that's what the Open guys I was shooting with used as a PF.  The only reason I used 3N38 was I had some.

During the primer shortage I used factory for minor.  I was saving primers for major.  Turns out they worked pretty well.  Now I'm loading 4.3gr Sport Pistol under a 124 plated.  I run it in my backup Open gun with a 6V recoil spring.  It is much more pleasant to shoot than the Open minor load, and no less effective.  I honestly couldn't tell you how much muzzle rise there is.  The dot is on target when the gun gets to where I'm looking.  I don't think you can transition fast enough to outrun the gun.

Edited by zzt

Forget the comp at sub-minor velocities. It's just a 'hood ornament' at those velocities, and only the front barrel weight of the comp will have any effect on recoil. Fast powders are the best bet for sub-minor 9mm.

N310 is my favorite. I use 3.1 grains with a 125-grain coated lead bullet (about 940 fps from a five-inch barrel). 231/HP38 will also work. The key is to load as light as you can while still getting 100% reliable ejection. FTEs tend to really screw up a string. You can live with one... but not two.

I would think if your loading a plinking round fast or slow powder will play less than at the hotter end. I would work with what you have just cut back the charge weight. Make a low end ladder box and make sure the ammo functions.  Perhaps 20 of each charge until you find a keeper.

My erubus fires everything ive put in it. Its flatter with minor loads than light ones but they all work.

• 2 weeks later...

When you go lighter on the loads you will have to tune the gun to the load with the recoil springs.  If I recall I was using a 7lb spring in my open gun 1911 and 8lbs with the stock iron sighted 1911.  If you are running stock springs you will have to go up until you can lock back the slide with the load.  That will be really close but run the gun for a couple hundred rounds and if it doesn't run then bump it up.

On 9/6/2023 at 1:12 PM, Squirrel45 said:

I did try this but wouldn't cycle %100. Think I may need to go up a bit to 4.2-4.4

Just for the heck of it try seating some of them .010-.015” deeper. 

Edited by Farmer