Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Masterpiece Arms DS9 Steel vs Aluminum

ass1434

If you have grip issues yes.  If you can grip a pistol properly No.  My Atlas 2011 has aluminum grips and it is more than adequate for 9mm.  If the gun was in 40 I would lean towards steel grip.

If you have the ability to shoot both I would try before you buy, but I think your money would be better spent on mags vs the steel grip.

Usually steel grips take longer to properly fit triggers. So its a combo of time and parts. Then depending on how you handle coating... that can add cost as well.

To me... its a weight thing, grip textures being equal. I prefer a heavier gun. Some light a lighter gun. The difference is about 10 OZs, with the weight distribution being more in your hands with the steel grip.

It's very hard to add 10oz to a 2011 if you decide you want a heavier gun. You can get close to that if you had the heaviest magwell, MSH, and tungsten guide rod vs their aluminum equivalents.

You can easily spend 300 bucks on the heavyweight parts. And you could decide you want an even heavier gun and you'll get those plus the steel grip ...

Steel grip is a very effective way to make weight. You can always tweak weight on a steel grip gun through changing magwells, msh, guide rods.

You just need to decide what weight gun you like for the sport.

• 2 months later...
On 8/12/2023 at 10:08 AM, whan said:

In general Im not sure why the steel grip option is so much more expensive for some builders. On cheely grips steel is only $100 more than aluminum…

Machine run time is triple with steel vs aluminum.  Im assuming that would be the difference.  

we have 2011's in 40 with a steel grip. they are fine, but awfully heavy, and it does slightly slow draws, reloads and transitions for a tall skinny guy like me, plus it's a pain in the hip to carry it around all day. My wife is shorter and more muscular and doesn't feel the steel grip slows her in the slightest (and she's faster than me). Still, for 9mm minor I personally would definitely go with an aluminum or poly grip, but it wouldn't hurt to handle a few guns and see what you think.

Edited by motosapiens

FWIW A steel gripped 4.25" Prodigy with a SRO & Dawson Ice aluminum magwell weighs a skosh under 3lb.   (Springfield claims the 5" is only 1/2oz heavier. ???)

That's ~3 oz less than a brass-gripped Shadow 2 OR with a SRO.

On my 5” gun I’m having built with Venom, I’ve chosen to go with an aluminum grip but brass magwell. I was on the fence between aluminum and steel so this combo split the difference and should be a high 40s but sub 50oz gun with unloaded mag.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/11/2023 at 8:33 PM, ass1434 said:

I have almost 3000 dollars to spend on a pistol, and I'm obsessing over the DS9 Hybrid. However, the steel grip version is 600 dollars more than the aluminum version. is the steel really worth a 600 dollar difference?

Curious to see what you decided on? The stainless steel grip is well worth the upgrade, and you will definitely notice a difference. But the aluminum grip guns shoot very well already.

My DS-9 has the aluminum grip on it and I really like it. I far prefer the steel grip on my PT gun. It's a lot more aggressive and I really notice it in the summer, when my hands are sweaty. That said, I hear steel grips are not fun when it's cold. Not much of an issue in Southern Arizona.

I haven't shot one of the Masterpiece Arms steel grips yet, but I think I would get the steel if I did it over.