Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

145 vs 160 GR bullets in a 929

jeremy kemlo

What is the difference shooting 145 Gr bullets vs 160 at 125-130 power factor out of a 929. My press is set up to do 145 for my semi auto so I could just adjust the powder amount. Unless there is an advantage to the 160. 

In my 627 I shoot Starline Brass 38 Colt Shorts and Montana Gold 130 gr RN with 4.6 gr Universal Clay's at 1.100" Federal primers at 1050 fps.

I tried heavier bullets, 147 & 160 gr but found the lighter bullet had less recoil and muzzle flip. Also the accuracy with the lighter bullets was a bit better.

Edited by Bill Sahlberg
Missed cartridge info

I am new to the 929 and havent had near the problems I have seen talked about the 929 .  My gun was new this spring so maybe S&W has fixed things...
BAsics from what I have heard on many threads here. 
Some people bullet creep issues  and want longer bearing surface although physics says a heavier bullet would make things worse with a tapered case.
Think alot of people moved over from 627's and were getting round nose 357/358's and kept them due to the suppossed  357 sized barrel on the 929.
I am fixing to do some accuracy tests on a 929 with factory 115, 147's and 124 gr .356 fmj;s see what happens.
Honestly I cant see recoil in mousefart loads being an issue in a gun as heavy as a  929

The main issue is overall length.  A 160 may load deep enough in the case to bulge the case at the base of the bullet at a short length.

Load a few and check to see.  If they don't chamber you will have to go longer on oal.

If they work, load 100 to chrono and sight in.

Then use your cylinder or a moon clip checker to test all loaded clips.  Or a cartridge checker to check all rounds.  If they fit you're ok.

6 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Think alot of people moved over from 627's and were getting round nose 357/358's and kept them due to the suppossed  357 sized barrel on the 929.

I went to coated 358's because coated 356's would lead the barrel up. If your 929 starts shooting knuckle balls after 100 rounds or so into a clean barrel that is a strong clue. 

6 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

Keep in mind the 929 POI is likely to change depending on load.  Very finicky.

+1 

I was using 160 grain bayou bullets sized at 356. Tried 355 jacketed oh they shoot just not accurately out of my 929. Due to leading up the compensator I just switched to 147 grain jacketed 357 bullets behind 3.2 grains of titegroup. Good accuracy. I have some 124 jacketed in 357 I just hate got around to trying them yet 

On 7/14/2023 at 7:47 PM, missed it by that much said:

I was using 160 grain bayou bullets sized at 356. Tried 355 jacketed oh they shoot just not accurately out of my 929. Due to leading up the compensator I just switched to 147 grain jacketed 357 bullets behind 3.2 grains of titegroup. Good accuracy. I have some 124 jacketed in 357 I just hate got around to trying them yet 

MIBTM:

Try some welding anti splatter spray.  Spray on after you clean it and let it dry.  Works pretty good at keeping leading from comps.

GG

On 7/13/2023 at 11:06 PM, Joe4d said:

Honestly I cant see recoil in mousefart loads being an issue in a gun as heavy as a  929

Its not nothing but also probably not a factor one way or another, its acclimation and personal preference, how you have barrel setup,  weight of gun is etc...

I have alway shot heavy bullet fast powder because that was the formula in 2010 when i started, some years back i shot eric leaches gun at a warm up range at an irc, and he was shooting a 130 going pretty fast and really liked how it felt, a much quicker snap/return vs the shove of the heavier bullet.

I stopped practicing in 2015-16 years ago, and coming back to some shooting this year with meaningful practice something i really am not able to overcome is an oscillation in the muzzle, ie dot return dropping slightly below before coming back.

Rationally i know i am doing that, but i can  not feel myself doing it, i just see the result in the dot tracking and has me grinding on changing, but its slow and expensive to change gun configuration.

Edited by testosterone

On 7/14/2023 at 4:19 AM, pskys2 said:

The main issue is overall length.  A 160 may load deep enough in the case to bulge the case at the base of the bullet at a short length.

Load a few and check to see.  If they don't chamber you will have to go longer on oal.

If they work, load 100 to chrono and sight in.

Then use your cylinder or a moon clip checker to test all loaded clips.  Or a cartridge checker to check all rounds.  If they fit you're ok.

I load 160 gr at 1.175” but I use a special funnel to get the 358 bullets in easy.

https://uniquetek.com/shop/ols/products/9mm38-htc-powder-funnel

I started with Magnum revolvers, 44, 45.. Got into 45 ACP's wityh a compact a buddy traded me who said it was brutal,,, Humm kinda laugher at that. Then shot major 40 for years, Even my IDPA days were with 40's at about 140 pf . 
Then shot bwling pins with a 686 smith and 180 ish pf loads. Now with my first N frame feeling like a tank in my hands,, I just cant grasp recoil with 120 pf loads being an issue.. 
However,, Pins, Steel, its one shot and transition vs a USPSA game where you are hitting same target multi times

On 7/13/2023 at 8:37 PM, jeremy kemlo said:

What is the difference shooting 145 Gr bullets vs 160 at 125-130 power factor out of a 929. My press is set up to do 145 for my semi auto so I could just adjust the powder amount. Unless there is an advantage to the 160. 

I think your load and preference really depends on your gun and you.

Your regular 9mm auto load may be fine with the 929. Test a few and see what they chrono, PF and how accurate they are. The 147s might be fine, depending on the O.A.L. but that again is your preference. 

I shoot all my 9mm at 1.100 because that is my shortest chamber and I like simple. I load everything the same setup regardless of bullet diameter (.355/ 9mm, .3575/ 929) or gun, and the only thing I change for the 929 is the case. I shoot Federal in the 929 because that is what works the best in my moons. I use the Lee U die and normal Lee seating and crimp dies, except 1 station after priming I flare the case mouth a tiny bit, separate from the powder drop for convenience. (I notice a bit of a drag when the powder drop die was flaring.) YMMV.

I have shot everything from 96gr to 160gr. They all have their attraction. I settled on 135gr Bayou or 125gr powder coated from my bullet guy/friend. That's what I shoot in all my guns.

BTW the 929 was designed for .035 moon clips. Many shoot .040. Preference. You can but any you want. I have Ranchos and some others. Numrich Gun Parts Corp sells the originals for 3.50 or so. I have many of them.

Did I mention I like simple? Not really rocket science. Load 25 or so, chrono, check the accuracy, PF and go from there.

Have fun with your journey. When you get the right combo it's really a gas! 

my chrono is MIA planned on testing several loads for accuracy, velocity and bullet creep,, drives me nuts, now I am hot and sweaty looking for the dang thing, I dont feel like shooting

18 hours ago, missed it by that much said:

I'll try it. Thanks. I've used compensator spray with little luck 

I have had great results with Dillon Case Lube…the lanolin seems to retard the leading and cleaning is a bit easier. I use it in my NRA Action guns when I cheap out on non-jacketed practice ammo.     YMMV

16 hours ago, Service Desk said:

I have had great results with Dillon Case Lube…the lanolin seems to retard the leading and cleaning is a bit easier. I use it in my NRA Action guns when I cheap out on non-jacketed practice ammo.     YMMV

Thanks I've got some and used it before. Seems like I had to spray it constantly during matches. 

I have used bot the welding spatter spray and Dillon case lube quite a bit. They both work. The Dillon needs to be re applied about every 50 to 100 rounds. The welding spray will last a match or 2, maybe longer. I haven't checked to see how much longer because I don't like digging the lead out of the comp.

3 hours ago, Toolguy said:

I haven't checked to see how much longer because I don't like digging the lead out of the comp.

I'm surprised to see folks leaving the comps on. I could not detect any benefit but perhaps that has to do with me shooting heavier bullets at around 130 pf. 

I did not leave the comp on, as it doesn't do anything. I took it off and threaded the barrel and put on a 7 port titanium comp that actually works. I'm shooting 160 gr. bullets at about 140 pf.