Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

opinions wanted on Dillon Terminator electronic scale

Ive heard mixed reviews on this item . I dont want to spend more than what this goes for. I have specific uses for a electronic scale. I just want something halfway decent without breaking the bank.   Opinions?

I'm on my second one.   First one got toasted by an electrical surge.  I love them and will buy another when this one gives out.  I managed to push the power port inside the body of the scale, so it just operated on AA batteries now.  Still works like a charm.  I calibrate it every loading session and it only takes a minute.

13 hours ago, doulos said:

dont want to spend more than what this goes for.

I have an expensive scientific scale and a cheap Amazon scale. For precision the scientific scale is nice but not worth it for normal reloading. My cheap Amazon scale does the job consistently +- .1 grain and if your load isn’t that critical spend less. 
Hope that answers the need to spend $ on brand names. 

1 hour ago, HesedTech said:

I have an expensive scientific scale and a cheap Amazon scale. For precision the scientific scale is nice but not worth it for normal reloading. My cheap Amazon scale does the job consistently +- .1 grain and if your load isn’t that critical spend less. 
Hope that answers the need to spend $ on brand names. 

Totally agree with the cheaper Amazon scale. I used to work for 50 year as a chemist and used analytical scales a lot. I got a little Amazon scale and compared it to the lab scales with graduated/certified weights =  right on!! I think I paid something like $20 or so. It sits on a slab of granite, which sits on a thick rubber pad.

I've had a D-terminator since the beginning of time and it just works, but the cheap scales do well enough.

For the shooting we do, the scale gets your powder charge about where you want it, then you fine-tune from there based on velocity, accuracy and feel.  If you have a scale that only measures to +/- 0.1gr, throw three or five charges, weigh the total and divide.

I got a cheapie when I got my first press (a used 550). Checked against a balance, it worked but had nasty drift over time. I wound up just keeping the check weight on it and would have to cal before each measurement. In 2004, Santa brought me a new 650 with the Dillon scale included. I still use it. 😉

I had dillons until I bought a chargemaster and figured i didnt need 2 scales. anything with +/- .1 gram or better will be fine as long as it has decent reviews.

Dillon has +/- .1 for $150 there are good rated scales for $50 on amazon with +/-0.001 g

I really appreciate everyones input. And the cheaper scales on Amazon are a consideration.  I might look at amazon ratings different than some people.  I usually discount the 5 star ratings till I scan the low reviews first. . I look at the lowest 1 star ratings first.  If after reading a few and there seems to be a reoccurring issue it is usually evident. I still dont discount it yet either. If the percentage of 1 and 2 star reviews is more than 10% combined I keep looking at others.  

I do understand that you cant have great expectations from electronic scales at the price point Im looking at. 

18 hours ago, m700 said:

I had dillons until I bought a chargemaster and figured i didnt need 2 scales. anything with +/- .1 gram or better will be fine as long as it has decent reviews.

Dillon has +/- .1 for $150 there are good rated scales for $50 on amazon with +/-0.001 g

ENos used to sell a scale that went to .001 and it was too much for a Dillon powder throw.  It drove me crazy.  The .1  is perfect for pistol ammo in my opinion.

2 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

ENos used to sell a scale that went to .001 and it was too much for a Dillon powder throw.  It drove me crazy.  The .1  is perfect for pistol ammo in my opinion.

Agreed, point was the cost for accuracy was poor

Be careful we aren't confusing Accuracy with Precision.

"It's butt-cold out here" can be very accurate with low precision

"It's 172.36864 degrees outside" has lots of precision but minimal accuracy.

I question how accurate the cheap scales that claim .001" grains really are.  Local gravity varies more than that depending where you are on the planet.

49 minutes ago, shred said:

I question how accurate the cheap scales that claim .001" grains really are.

shred

I have one of the best scientific scales ($600) I bought for precision rifle and compared it to my $25 Amazon scale. For pistol USPSA shooting with mixed brass and 223 bulk it is within .1 consistently.  I confirmed this with the precision scale. Is it effected by temperature and other environmental things yes, but still within .1 grains. The precision scale will change weight when blown on, the cheap scale will not.

The real question is does spending $600 or even $150 make one a better or more accurate shooter? For USPSA just make an appropriate PF for the gun and then practice. Almost any scale will do that.

Have you guys considered the moon's gravitational pull on the effect of weight of the charge?

Me, I load by velocity not weight. I don't care what the weight is, I need to make power factor.

I used my cheapo scale to get me close, then my chrono to dial it in. If it's not hot 🔥 enough I give my powder measure an 1/8th of a turn.

Too hot, back out off an 1/8th.

3 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Have you guys considered the moon's gravitational pull on the effect of weight of the charge?

Me, I load by velocity not weight. I don't care what the weight is, I need to make power factor.

I used my cheapo scale to get me close, then my chrono to dial it in. If it's not hot 🔥 enough I give my powder measure an 1/8th of a turn.

Too hot, back out off an 1/8th.

You're 68 days late...April 1st was 2 months and 7 days ago.

Nolan

• 3 weeks later...

decided on this

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Platinum-Precision-Reloading/dp/B00EE6GHU8

about half the price as the Dillon. Well see.  I wanted something that could use both batteries and 110v

Comes with a case. Set it up just initially and was weighing some of my arrows. Seems ok.  My last electronic scale was a RCBS Micro Pro and it was good for quite awhile. Much longer than I expected.  I might pick up one of those cheaper ones also. Thanks for everyones input. 

12 minutes ago, doulos said:

decided on this

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Platinum-Precision-Reloading/dp/B00EE6GHU8

about half the price as the Dillon. Well see.  I wanted something that could use both batteries and 110v

Comes with a case. Set it up just initially and was weighing some of my arrows. Seems ok.  My last electronic scale was a RCBS Micro Pro and it was good for quite awhile. Much longer than I expected.  I might pick up one of those cheaper ones also. Thanks for everyones input. 

Fancy, but not shmancy. I'm sure it will work fine. They all do.