Official SCSA Standard Peak Time Ajustment Effective January 2024

Hoops

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did a quick look at PCCO, RFRO, RFPO and CO and each have been reduced.  

You can find the official sheet at the May 23 BOD director's meeting minutes at SCSA website.

Bear in mind that time reduced is based on 100%.  For example, PCCO will reduce from 70.00 to 69.50 or .50 seconds.  But the down classifications will be impacted slightly more.  Persons that just made A class or .75% will have a new time of 81.764 to make M class.  Under the current Peak Time, M class time is 82.353 which is an effective reduction of .589 seconds.....and so on.  A GM shooting 110% will see an effective change of minus .455 seconds.

But even this can be skewed a bit since the 4 stage requirement to make class was not adjusted.  For many matches that are only 5 stages, these changes may be minimized on a broader classification basis.   

Thank god they kept it to quarter second intervals. But over all this is a pretty minor change that isn’t going to affect much of anything. GM is still too easy to achieve in my opinion. I think we need an S tier ranking for the top 5% or if your on the top 20 list. It would add more reasons for people to push their times more.

13 hours ago, JM_ said:

Thank god they kept it to quarter second intervals. But over all this is a pretty minor change that isn’t going to affect much of anything. GM is still too easy to achieve in my opinion. I think we need an S tier ranking for the top 5% or if your on the top 20 list. It would add more reasons for people to push their times more.

I agree with you, these changes are really insignificant for most GM shooters.  Relative to the overall SCSA memberhip, the Enos forum probably represents a very small base of people.  To the extent we often tend to discuss these topics between just a small group.  

If all classifications were based on the average results of 10 match scores with minimum 6 stages and to include Outer Limits and Speed Option........ would that change your mind that the GM class (or most classes) would still be too easy to achieve?

Would it not be better if the top 20 GM percentages be shown as they are....for example, 110%, 121.02%, etc?

If you had a top gun class you could leave peak times as they are and anyone over 100% would be “top gun”. That us mere mortals would still have a chance at GM at 95%. Changing peak time by only a quarter of a second is huge when in A  and M class.

4 hours ago, Hoops said:

If all classifications were based on the average results of 10 match scores with minimum 6 stages and to include Outer Limits and Speed Option........ would that change your mind that the GM class (or most classes) would still be too easy to achieve?

Would it not be better if the top 20 GM percentages be shown as they are....for example, 110%, 121.02%, etc?

Completely agree with you @Hoops  The current lifetime personal best for each stage approach isn't realistic.   Like taking individual laps from a mile distance runner and then re-assembling the (4) laps into a 3 minute mile classification. 

Having some form of expiring classification based on 6+ stage MATCH performance is a much better measurement of a consistent good shooter.    

I also agree they should show the actual top 20 GM percentage .  It is relatively easy to compute them on our own by using their USPSA number, but capping for display purposes only at 100% defies any logic.   

Honestly, Steel challenge within USPSA doesn't appear to be actively managed, curated, and cultivated.  It is just sort of there.  I enjoy it, but feel like it is frozen in time. 

Carry Optics example for those who aren't familiar.  

image.thumb.png.728151f2ad87ec2d1c66f305da9bb794.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2023 at 12:55 PM, jrdoran said:

Honestly, Steel challenge within USPSA doesn't appear to be actively managed, curated, and cultivated.  It is just sort of there.  I enjoy it, but feel like it is frozen in time. 

As director of Steel Challenge for USPSA it sounds like I'm doing a pretty suck ass job then :(. 

The top 20 list is outdated the way it works now. Production is worse that CO. There's top 20 guys that haven't shot a match in an extremely long time. I dod have a proposal to update the top 20 list so that it's either calculated on historical values like it is today or calculated based on current percentage. That should drop guys that haven't shot in forever off of the top 20 list. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2023 at 12:55 PM, jrdoran said:

Honestly, Steel challenge within USPSA doesn't appear to be actively managed, curated, and cultivated

I'm new to Steel Challenge so if my local range wasn't so active with Steel Challenge I wouldn't consider it an ongoing concern from the outside.

The SCSA.ORG "Announcements" hasn't been updated for 4 months (30 April 2023) and that is only the 2nd entry for the year.

That last entry just points to the USPSA Facebook and Instagram accounts.  I gave up on scrolling through that enough to find any Steel Challenge content.  Which at least shows how active USPSA is.

I don't care for the idea of basing Classification on an average of ten matches.  I shoot considerably worse in Winter than I do in summer and fall.  So, my average would yoyo depending on the date.

• 3 weeks later...

@jrdoran  thanks but how? it appears to me as a png image.  I am looking for something like a csv or native format file so I can use the numbers in formulas in other spots on the spreadsheet.  I started keying in the data I need for the guns that I shoot but if there was a source I could use that as well.  Thanks!