Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for reqs for a torque wrench/screwdriver -- also torque settings for Shadow 2 OR

asn

What is everyone using as a torque wrench to attach their optics?    The wheeler seems to have good reviews, but I'm worried Amazon will dump it on my porch and knock it out of spec.

Also, how tight should I attached the OR plate to my Shadow 2 OR, and how tight do I attach the optic to the plate?   

I’ve been using the wheeler fat wrench (non digital) for a few years and it’s worked great. Always use blue loctite, want to make sure those screws don’t loosen up, as far as torque goes be careful if the plate is aluminum I believe czc custom suggests no more than 10 inch pounds for the optic to the plate, 15 inch pounds if the plate is steel.

13 hours ago, asn said:

wow,  that one is a little pricey.   

I think < $100 would be a better price range 

While I've owned/used one of the versions that @Ssanders224referenced above, I find the weight specific Small Torque Limiters from Fix It Sticks are very simple to use!

https://store.fixitsticks.com/collections/optics-mounting/products/small-torque-limiters

👍

I use the Wheeler Fat Wrench (analogue) at home and have a basic Fixit kit in my range bag.  Much better than guessing.  

Seems like 12-15 inch pounds is a pretty common torque setting for the size of red dot optic mounting screws, but I recall reading somewhere that if you’re using lock-tite you should back off a pound or two since the lock-tite acts like lube and you can over-tighten the screw as a result.