Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik Rival S Magazine Tuning

ChrisDeRouen

Does anyone know the dimensions for the canik mag to run properly?  I've been having a failure to feed (round nose diving), and I've narrowed it down to my magazines need tuning.  I can noticeably see differences in the gap/width of the opening from magazine to magazine.  

I just can't seem to find dimensions anywhere so I can tune them.  Thanks in advance!

What is the OAL of your ammo?  How old are your magazines?  How clean are the insides of the mags?  Are your followers "burr free"?  Just trying to narrow it down.

15 hours ago, WxGuy said:

What is the OAL of your ammo?  How old are your magazines?  How clean are the insides of the mags?  Are your followers "burr free"?  Just trying to narrow it down.

I came here with a question.  I just need it answered.  My problem wasn't up for debate, but thanks. 

12 hours ago, ChrisDeRouen said:

I came here with a question.  I just need it answered.  My problem wasn't up for debate, but thanks. 

He’s trying to be helpful and narrow down your problem not debate you. Canik mags don’t require tuning. Take them out of the package and use them. This issue is likely one of the things the guy you blew off asked about. 

21 hours ago, ChrisDeRouen said:

Wow 

So....with the same time that people took to question my question... it could have been answered.   But I'll oblige....

Some of my mags are about 8 months old.... however, the mags that came with my first rival have somewhere around 15k rounds through them.  My Springs and followers all were changed to MBX when the new 24+1s came out.   I never had an issue with them and they are* "burr" free.  My mags get cleaned frequently, as it's literally the first thing I do when I have feeding issues.   

Again, the obvious issue is that I can visibly see differences in the gap of my feed lips from magazine to magazine.  It's sincerely not uncommon to need to tune magazines.  I aim to shoot 4 USPSA competitions a month, and also try to live fire practice once a week.   Tack on dry fire to the list of abuse I put my gear through too. 

I don't buy a gun, go to the range to shoot slow fire bullseye, then take pictures with my gun/target for Reddit.  Just because you have never had to tune a mag that you own, does not mean others won't need to.   

Good day gentlemen.  

P.S. If you're insulted by my response, I'd imagine you'd also be insulted by people taking the time to question your overall gear maintenance knowledge (as if to insinuate that the lack thereof is the issue) instead of just simply answering your question.

Edited by ChrisDeRouen

If you have multiple magazines and several that work. Isolate the ones that don’t and make them like the ones that do. 
Or…….. buy a couple more new ones. They aren’t expensive 

10 hours ago, ChrisDeRouen said:

So....with the same time that people took to question my question... it could have been answered.   But I'll oblige....

Some of my mags are about 8 months old.... however, the mags that came with my first rival have somewhere around 15k rounds through them.  My Springs and followers all were changed to MBX when the new 24+1s came out.   I never had an issue with them and they are* "burr" free.  My mags get cleaned frequently, as it's literally the first thing I do when I have feeding issues.   

Again, the obvious issue is that I can visibly see differences in the gap of my feed lips from magazine to magazine.  It's sincerely not uncommon to need to tune magazines.  I aim to shoot 4 USPSA competitions a month, and also try to live fire practice once a week.   Tack on dry fire to the list of abuse I put my gear through too. 

I don't buy a gun, go to the range to shoot slow fire bullseye, then take pictures with my gun/target for Reddit.  Just because you have never had to tune a mag that you own, does not mean others won't need to.   

Good day gentlemen.  

I probably should not respond but my experience with bullet nose diving is usually not the magazine lips. It is usually that the spring is not holding the front of the follower up thus the nose of the bullet strikes low on the feed ramp. The other cause is that the follower is worn and it can "rock" within the magazine tube. This allows the front of the follower to become lower thus the round feeds lower.

I doubt the magazine lips have spread unless physical damage.

ego  + 100

listening skills  -100

ive competed and won at the highest level in the world at my profession

ive always listened to any offered advice and not been a dick right or wrong, as its a learning experience

an open mind and lack of ego go a long way

offended?  nope

amused?   yes

you obviously know the answer as you are clearly measuring everything and just know

so why post?

Edited by goneracin

On 5/6/2023 at 9:16 PM, EarlKeese said:

A guy with your obviously extensive knowledge and superior intelligence should be able to measure your working mags, then tune your non-working mags to match. 

I'd like to tune them all to factory specs, as even the ones that may not have given me an issue might eventually.  This was essentially the bandaid for my issue, as I have yet to find the needed information.  I'll likely just buy a new magazine and pull the dimensions....and then share for anyone who may want the info. 

Enough. 

Attitude

Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.

No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.

Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.

No trolling. No alternate accounts.

If we have to visit this again, forum suspensions may be appropriate. This means ALL who are involved.

• 2 weeks later...

Outside of guys who compete with 2011's most don't tune mags they run them until they don't work and get new ones.

My suggestion would be like someone said above. Find a mag that works and measure. If you're worried that's not "factory spec" buy 2 or 3 brand new mags and measure them. You might want to find the average because they may not be all the same. Use those numbers and tune your mags to match.

I'm guessing your not getting a direct use .xxx dimension because no one tunes these mags or knows what canik thinks they should be. You could start with just make sure the front wider than the rear like you would a 2011. Maybe use 2011 numbers, it's still a 9mm after all. 

Then report back your findings. This is a chance to lead and do something no one else has done.