Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ghost Holster With Open Gun

randy01

I know that both holsters have been discussed multiple times and I've used the search function and read all holster posts I could fin. But I still haven't been able to decide.

I've used a Ghost holster with my limited gun and a CRspeed with my revolver.

I like the ghost the most, however I'm not sure about getting one for my new open gun. I'm afraid of bumping the muzzle with the gun being longer than a limited gun.

I use the same "rig" (ghost holster, belt, and mag holders) for limited and open and don't see/feel a difference between one gun or the other. If you feel the end of the comp touching your leg you can always adjust the cant of the holster. I can adjust pretty much every angle on the ghost holster.

... note: both my open gun and limited gun are built on STI frames.

Edited by short_round

I'm afraid of bumping the muzzle with the gun being longer than a limited gun.

I've seen them bumped out on props, legs, tables, ect. and dirty pants, that is why I prefer the CR speed. The lock is good (if you use it and remember to unlock it at the right time.) If you switch back and forth a LOT the ghost might be better, it only takes a minute to switch a CR holster. Either should meet your need, so I would stress about either one being beter.

Bumping one out with the Ghost is always a potential since the muzzle is not covered by the holster...but I have lost a gun out of a safariland by bumping it too..so it can happen with any holster..

with my ghost I have felt very comfortable...the lock mechanism is very secure.

I got a buddy that uses his Ghost in 3-gun competition and he has never lost his gun...

Both are good holsters...and you won't go wrong choosing either..but my choice would be a ghost.

+1 on the ghost.

I switched from a cr speed to the ghost. if your worried about bumping it, keep it lock until your ready to draw. for seated starts, I lock it while standing, sit, then check that nothing will bump the gun out of the holster, then unlock it, and wait for the commands.

after switching to a ghost holster, i've never been so happy. i've tried the 012 and the cr speed but i prefer the ghost for the speed and the way it locks.

there are two locking positions on the ghost. the first position is for walking or ro'ing with the lock in the upright position. the second is for difficult or unusual starting positions like laying on a bed. with the locking mechanism in the down or horizontal position one can draw and unlock simultaneously.

i saw a GM at one of the nationals get dq'ed for not having his ghost holster locked in the horizontal position and his gun came tumbling out onto the lounge chair. i also heard about a guy at last years nationals get dq'ed before he even fired a shot because of a lazyboy chair, the arm of the chair caught on the grip and pulled it right out of his holster.

with the ghost and the locking bolt none of these dq's would have happened and it's just as fast as griping the gun because your middle finger takes the lock off.

hope this helps. here's a hint buy the ghost you won't be disappointed.

I personally like the Ghost. I switched from an 012. In Matt Burkett's Rifle video he shows how the CR can be unholstered and reholstered while being locked. This is good if you are shooting a multi-gun stage that requires you to reholster your pistol. It is locked in place where the Ghost requires you to manually lock it. I have tried to remove a STI from a CR speed with it locked and it will come out with the right amount of force and will also go in. If you shoot matches where reholstering during a stage is required, the CR Speed might be an option. If not I would recommend the Ghost.

My 2cents worth.

Have a CR Speed and a Ghost. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

I had a gun drop put of a CR because I hadn't angled it enough -- the gun was straight up and down. With the CR Speed it's also fairly easy to bump gun out of the holster since it's not completely locked It can be drawn in the locked position. I don't trust it bending to pick up brass or set steel.

The Ghost has a better locking system but because there's no muzzle cup the muzzle can swing up. If it does that, the gun must be unlocked and reset. Didn't see much speed difference between the two.

Sorry to butt in but I'm just curious as to how the Ghost performs with a Para? I'm guessing most of the people here are using S_I guns, and I'm just wondering if the Ghost will work just as well with a Para. Thanks!!! :P

The Pin-less Ghost is supposed to work with S_I, single stack or Para. I havn't tried it though.

From Brownells:

SPECS: Steel, aluminum and plastic. Black, matte finish. Requires drilling hole in front of triggerguard. Right hand only. 1911 - fits 1911 Auto, STI/Infinity, Para-Ordnance. Glock - fits all 9mm and .40 models. Model for 10mm and .45 ACP Glocks available on Special Order.

(The pin drilling is not needed anymore.)

• 2 weeks later...

I have the CRspeed that I use for limited. I have to give my vote to the Ghost, which I have ordered. I have thrown the gun out of the CR twice before even reaching for the gun. Both times the stage required movement to the left before engaging targets. The holster didn't hold the gun with enough strength. When I swung my hips to start moving the gun tumbled out. Yes the gun was clicked in and holstered correctly. The first time was a DQ and the second time I caught the gun before it hit the ground, barely. The best feature about the Ghost is the lock that you can disingage during the draw. You can't do that with the CR, at least not quickly.

I use the Ghost for both divisions. I have never lost a gun with it, but I am always aware of it. I tried the CR and Safariland 012 and just did not like the feel. I do have the pin stlye lock and not the new pinless design. I do not like the fit of holster with paras and the new pinless setup. The gun seems to move alot in it. I will draw from locked if there is movement before engaging targets. I do like the locking setup on the Ghost, you will hurt yourself if drawing and you forget to unlock it.

Mike

Sorry to butt in but I'm just curious as to how the Ghost performs with a Para? I'm guessing most of the people here are using S_I guns, and I'm just wondering if the Ghost will work just as well with a Para. Thanks!!! :P

I use the new Ghost with a Para-framed open gun with good results. As Shred pointed out you have to tweak the nylon screws to get the gun to sit still in the holster when unlocked. I will draw from unlocked unless there is movement prior to the draw. It stays put just fine. You just have to remember to unlock or you will suffer the fabled "Ghost Wedgie"!

I know the older Ghost (still available) works great with a Para, Kimber, or Colt. My wife, who just started shooting in June, has had no problems at all with it. Very easy to feel the pin "grab" the gun when reholstering. I kind of miss that holster :(

I still like my Guga Ribas just a tiny bit better though :) It definitely works with a Para.

A friend of mine was having surgery and lent me his new S_I for a couple of weeks along with his Ghost. The gun and holster were awesome, if I had an S_I I would own a Ghost. I own a Caspian with a squared trigger and they don't work with a damn no matter how much you play with the nylon adjustments. I dropped the gun (my Caspian) from my own Ghost several times in practice and stayed with my 009 (talk about Old School).

CR Speed will be my next holster, but I really like being able to run without something touching my leg.

FM

I used the first generation Ghost holster. I eventually stopped using it due to safety concerns. I noticed that after it's mechanism gets worn out, it was unlocking when i'm running/walking. It exposed my pistol from jumping out of the holster. It did jump off several times (unloaded). :angry:

Otherwise, It's a fine holster compared to my 011 (Safariland).

I'm not sure if the current generation of Ghosts still has this tendency.

I'm using Limcat holster currently.

Hi,

I've got the Ultimate Ghost Holster (version where no drilling is needed).

It's my only competition holster I've ever had, so can not possibly compare it against a benchmark holster/misc. companies'.

What I can tell you (& I'm not sure if the others have mentioned it here or in another thread) is that there are 3 positions for the lock: 1 is unlocked and the other 2 are locking positions. An advice that a friend passed onto me was to put the lock in the upright locked position when moving between the safety area and when you're not shooting. -This'll lessen the chances of having people, props, or clothing, etc untintentionally unsecuring your holster. When you're on the firing line, and have "load[ed] & ma[d]e ready", you can apply the lock in the lower locked position. -At an RO seminar, there were discussions on whether or not to use that lock because it was "designed as to be used" (Rule number escapes mind currently). To save arguments, I do use the lock before taking on any stage. Esp. if I'm going to jump straight off from the audible signal. If you choose to have it in the down locked position, like me, use your finger above the pinky to unlock the holster as you draw upwards.

One thing you find is after you've conditioned yourself to have the holster in the down-locked position for COFs and the upright-locked position for down-time, you might fall into the positive hazard of applying your holster in the 'upright locked position' just before you shoot another stage, back-to-back, "live/hot". -Surprise, surprise, yours truly drew only to find that I should have put it in the down-locked position! Doh! :rolleyes: -Yes, there were quite a few matches I did that at, last year! :)

Better to be safe than sorry, I guess. :)

Somebody asked about a Para-Ord single stack in a Ghost? -I used a Para Ordnance 18.9 9mm double-stacker in Europe, in November, last year. -It was great. As pointed out by another member, you just adjust any/all of the 3 nylon screws to seat a classic-single-stack-1911-style-build to cradle the gun more securely. I often find that about 3 exposed threads of each of the screws should be enough. If you have a polymer-grip-style race gun (SVI/STI), then you should find with the modern Ghosts, the screws don't have to be raised, unless I'm mistaken. (Our Airsoft SVIs are 1:1 scale.)

Side note: As an IT techie with some Human-Computer Interaction background, I like to have some flexibility/ergonomics for anything that I do, albeit cooking or holsters. So when I was deciding on a competition holster, I learnt that the Ghost allowed for about 5 axes of adjustment. -So I just had to get it! :) -I think it's fair to say it'll be the only one I'll ever have! :)

Advice for choosing between the 2 holsters: ditto the above help & continue to trial them both and choose the one that bests suits you.

Hope this helps!

Fast rackz & double tapz!

Lab. :)

Edited by IceDragon