Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked Frame

lroy

Guess they'll have to start making them out of that Wakanda Vibranium

I believe a good weld and blending job would repair it.  Can't say it would last forever, but I'm not a metallurgical guy or in a machine shop.  Weld shouldn't be significantly costly either.  

You might ask the people who made it for their opinion.   They'll have more experience with it.

I did. For liability reasons they're obviously going to say it needs to be replaced, though. Costs 1k after fitting and coating.

Not sure I know anyone that can weld, but they're just going to toss it out anyway. If it's a shoddy job would it end up damaging the grip?

I think I would have it tig welded then "machine" it myself with a Dremel and a couple of files, then "refinish" it with cold blue. Then I would tighten the grip screws and get to shooting 

Any "good" tig welder could fix this. Laser welding too but not something your going to find outside of serious manufacturing.  If you shot my matches and were someone that was helpful and I liked I'd fix it for free.

I help out at all the clubs in the area, but I'm not sure anyone can weld haha.

Appreciate all the advice. For those of you that have gone the welding route, how long would it typically last? I assume it's still somewhat of a weak point? 9 major is pretty rough.

I have found that it will last until it cracks. Sorry had to. In my experience it is usually good after repair but may crack somewhere else.  I had a Caspian frame welded 3 times, different places

Aftermarket metal grip?  Very tight grip screw bushings that might be applying sideways force when tightened?  Usually most of the stress goes into the rail portion, not the bushing hole, but bad fits can exacerbate it.

If done correctly, a TiG weld repair will be stronger than the base metal.  So, I definitely wouldn't be considered a weak spot.  And there should be zero cause for concern.  But, again, that's assuming it's done correctly.  Also, every 2011 frame I know of is made from bar stock.  Which should be quite suitable for TiG welding.  Cast frames like Caspian are a different story.

Had a Caspian hi cap that I shot for 10 years that cracked at dust cover that I had welded. Lasted several years and 10s of thousands of rounds. Scraped it out after second slide cracked and was tired of dealing with accu rails and having new slide machined. This game is hard on equipment. Investment cast steel welds just like bar stock.