Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PRS 22 LR Equipment Choices

PeterParfinik

I would agree. Other than the rifle itself, I use the same gear for the rimfire PRS/NRL22 as I do with centerfire PRS. Both rifles have a full length Arca Swiss rail for mounting bipods and gamer plates. 

Kestrel 5700 w/ AB

Data card holders

Atlas CAL bipod w/ Arca clamp

Sig 10K bino/LRF

Schmedium bag w/ heavy fill (use it on barricades for positional shooting or as a rear bag when shooting off the bipod)

Tripod

I do not participate in centerfire so all of it is very new to me. I picked up a used RPR and an Arken 5-25.  I saw a lot of Vudoo's  as well as  Bergara's and actions with barrels I did not recognize the names of based on the 700 action. I also saw some CZ MTR's.  I know it personal choice , but are most of the competitors using the equipment based off of the 700 action ?

It depends on how far you want to pursue the sport. Many are spending $$ on Vudoo or RimX (Rem 700 clones) in custom chassis, etc. Bergara B14R is common and excellent bang for buck. Plenty of CZs too.

PRS22 matches are trending toward smaller targets at longer ranges 100-200 plus a few 300-400 engagements. Big issue is the capability of your rifle and especially your 22lr ammo. 

Key will be finding a steady supply of 22lr match ammo that works in your rifle. Finding premium 22lr ammo is similar to chasing Berger 105 hybrids, varget, etc.

I see semiautos at NRL22 matches but have not seen any semiauto 22lr at PRS22

I am a firm believer that the first one is never the right one, and also buy once cry once.  I like to take equipment out of the equation and know when I miss that it's me and not the equipment.  

Not ready to dive into a top dollar item but, want to know that the equipment can outperform me.

I will always try to go as far as I can, whatever that is.

I like nice things as well, but truth be told I think you can be competitive with a factory CZ, Bergara, or Tikka provided you put in some work to find the right load the gun likes, practice a bunch shooting from non-belly prone positions, and with a minimal investment in gear. 

I got started with a CZ 455, added a weighted Arca rail so it balanced when sitting on a bag on a barricade, bungeed on a dope card holder to my scope, basic Harris bipod that I already owned, experimented with different size/shaped sandbags for positional shooting, and a used Kestrel I got from a friend to calculate my holds out to 300+ yards. 

That was enough to get me started. I didn’t worry about range finders for the first year because the distances were always known (plus other people had LRF’s), and I also got to experiment with using their bags and plate systems until I figured out what worked best for me.  

Then as I shot more matches I started upgrading my gear. First on the list was a better scope with the features I wanted:  close parallax, lot of internal elevational travel, 10-12 MILS per rotation in the turret bc in .22

world you have to dial A LOT to get out to 300 and 400 yds, good FOV, a zero stop, and a reticle with a Christmas tree for the stages where you have to hold elevation and wind. 

My next big upgrade was a tripod for rear support and also to support my binos when spotting. I also use it for dryfire and live fire practice without needing all the props you typically see at a match. Then I bought a Kestrel 5700 Elite to replace the old kestrel since the newer ones have better features, and also got a LRF bino that Bluetoothed to my new Kestrel so all I had to do was range the target and my dope would pop up in the display. That’s a big time saver if you ever shoot a NRL Hunter match. The Sig LRF binos do have onboard AB calculator so I guess in theory you could skip the Kestrel but I trust my Kestrel more than the Sig LRF at this point. 

I’m at the point now where I feel like the CZ was holding me back so last month I ordered a Vudoo w/ a 22” straight taper Bartlein barrel. My reasoning for the heavy barrel is to make balancing it in the chassis easier and the extra weight is going to help steady the rifle when shooting off a bag in awkward props such as a tank trap, fence post, rocks, etc. 

It’s a fun game and I’m enjoying shooting 2-3 matches a month in addition to USPSA. Plus it’s nice to be able to buy ammo and not deal with finding all my shot brass and brass prep like I have to do with centerfire rifles. 

2 hours ago, PeterParfinik said:

I know it personal choice , but are most of the competitors using the equipment based off of the 700 action ?

Not all, but quite a few who also compete in centerfire PRS like to have their rimfire rifle mimic or be close to their centerfire rifle.  Ergos are the same and you have access to much more after-market support and parts interchangeability (chassis, stocks, triggers, barrels).  That kind of puts you in the Bergara, Vudoo, or RimX camp however, and plenty of people are doing quite well with their CZ 457s or Tikkas and both are popular enough that you have good after-market support, albeit not as robust as a Rem700 pattern barreled-action.  I looked at the Ruger, but the limited after-market options for upgrades made me shy away from it.  

1 hour ago, PeterParfinik said:

Also, is anyone using a semi auto ?  I see JP rifles has just debuted one at this years Shot Show for this game.

NRL22 allows semi-autos and every now and then I see somebody show up with a tricked out 10/22 but bolt action is way more common.  NRL22 rules (and PRS as well) require the bolt to be open and back when changing positions on a stage.  For semi-auto you have to put it on safe and also say  out loud “On Safe” so the RO can hear you.  Not a big deal once you get used to it.  

• 3 weeks later...

I too started with a Ruger RPR rimfire. I competed in NRL22 and Outlaw 22 matches for about a year. The Ruger shot well, but would throw occasional flyers. I upgraded the barrel, and the flyers were gone. Then upgraded the trigger, added some weight, an Arca rail, etc. I was able to finish top 3 pretty consistently, but began to feel the rifle was holding me back. I fell into a deal on a Vudoo, and set it up to match my PRS rifle. The rifle is no longer limiting, my skill however sometimes is 😉

Sorry for the rambling reply. The 22LR competitions are a blast, and you can compete on whatever level you want. You can go to have fun, you can go to win your class, or you can go to win overall. What you can’t do is buy ability. Decide what your goal is, decide what your budget is, and then practice a lot. As with most skills IMHO there aren’t really any shortcuts. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2023 at 10:08 AM, CavReconScout said:

I too started with a Ruger RPR rimfire. I competed in NRL22 and Outlaw 22 matches for about a year. The Ruger shot well, but would throw occasional flyers. I upgraded the barrel, and the flyers were gone. Then upgraded the trigger, added some weight, an Arca rail, etc. I was able to finish top 3 pretty consistently, but began to feel the rifle was holding me back. I fell into a deal on a Vudoo, and set it up to match my PRS rifle. The rifle is no longer limiting, my skill however sometimes is 😉

Sorry for the rambling reply. The 22LR competitions are a blast, and you can compete on whatever level you want. You can go to have fun, you can go to win your class, or you can go to win overall. What you can’t do is buy ability. Decide what your goal is, decide what your budget is, and then practice a lot. As with most skills IMHO there aren’t really any shortcuts. 

I'm curious, what barrel and trigger dude you upgrade to for the rpr?

When I had my RPRR, due to the recommendation of a fellow NRL competitor, I replaced the barrel with a Shaw prefit. I was a little hesitant, but he was right the Shaw tightened the groups and eliminated the flyers. At that time there were only a couple prefits available for them though. And I used a Timney 2 stage trigger which was really nice.

I shot the rifle like that for several years in NRL22 matches and Outlaw field matches. When I bought my Vudoo I was gonna keep the Ruger for my grandson to shoot, but a buddy wanted to get into NRL with his son so I sold it. He still has it and competes with it. 

• 1 month later...

I used a well loved Savage MKII FV-SR 16.5" .22LR w/20MOA rail in a Boyds Pro Varmint stock w/ARCA rail, Strike Eagle 5-25x56 optic, Vortex PMR rings, MDT GRND-POD bipod, and CSSpecs 15rd mags for NRL Base class. 

I also use a CZ 457 Pro Varmint 16.5" .22LR w/Area419 30MOA rail in a MDT ACC chassis, Strike Eagle 5-25x56 optic, Vortex PMR rings, MDT GRND-POD bipod, and MKM extended 14rd mags for NRL Open class. Plan to upgrade the barrel down the road.

• 3 months later...

Giving this a little bump, because now I want to try it out. Just ordered a lefty Bergara R-14R rifle to get me started. 

What are you all using for a picatinny mounted bipod?  I’m skipping the ARCA rail for now. I was looking at the Atlas bipods and noticed some do NOT allow for canting left to right. Why wouldn’t you want the cant feature?  They are a little cheaper, but it seems to me you would want the mobility in a bipod.  Please set me straight. 

Thanks. 

Suggest you will want the ARCA rail soon and possibly adding extra weight with your B14R - suggest look at the Area 419 weighted ARCA rail. I use AccuTac bipod but also still use old faithful Harris bipod. If you can attend a match - you can see and try multiple types of bipods. 

The B14R is a great choice. 

2 hours ago, ranger said:

Suggest you will want the ARCA rail soon and possibly adding extra weight with your B14R - suggest look at the Area 419 weighted ARCA rail. I use AccuTac bipod but also still use old faithful Harris bipod. If you can attend a match - you can see and try multiple types of bipods. 

The B14R is a great choice. 

Thanks, I’ve been researching since I posted this. I think you’re right. I keep going back and forth. I already ordered a cheap rail to replace the sling studs which will let me use a bipod I already have to start practicing, until I can get to a match and check out some gear. I’ll hold off buying a bipod for this rifle until then. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2023 at 4:22 AM, Cuz said:

Giving this a little bump, because now I want to try it out. Just ordered a lefty Bergara R-14R rifle to get me started. 

What are you all using for a picatinny mounted bipod?  I’m skipping the ARCA rail for now. I was looking at the Atlas bipods and noticed some do NOT allow for canting left to right. Why wouldn’t you want the cant feature?  They are a little cheaper, but it seems to me you would want the mobility in a bipod.  Please set me straight. 

Thanks. 

The Arca rail is nice. If you aren't sure if you want to run Arca or Pic, you can look at the RRS set up that allows you to attach your bipod to either.

As far as the Atlas Cal (doesn't pan ) vs PSR/BT10 (pans). I believe they all have some degree of cant.  You'll have to get behind them and see which works for you and your intention with the rifle.

I prefer the Cal over the PSR for PRS/NRL stages. With that being said, the Harris bipod is still one of the easiest/cheapest option compared to the Atlas and Cyke-pod. I do enjoy the preload of the Atlas a bit more than the Harris but you can run all the stages without an issue with a Harris. 

Check out this comparison chart:

https://shop.accu-shot.com/Atlas-Bipods-Compare.php

• 2 months later...

Another option is the Clark Custom 10/22. Everybody has a couple of 10/22'slaying around. Sent one of mine off to them and came back with an amazing shooter. With SK yellow box, it will shoot 1 ragged hole at 50 and still touching at 100.

• 3 months later...
On 5/23/2023 at 11:49 AM, RobE1010 said:

I used a well loved Savage MKII FV-SR 16.5" .22LR w/20MOA rail in a Boyds Pro Varmint stock

My local range has just started introducing NRL22 and this is exactly what I have but with a Bushnell Match pro scope. 
How has this setup been doing? 
I’ve already done some ammo testing so I plan to join the next match and see how I do. 

On 4/13/2024 at 10:58 AM, Matt1911 said:

My local range has just started introducing NRL22 and this is exactly what I have but with a Bushnell Match pro scope. 
How has this setup been doing? 
I’ve already done some ammo testing so I plan to join the next match and see how I do. 

It has been working out great for me for Base class. Once you get it broken in, the action smooths out or else you can swap for a different bolt. For me, the rifle loves CCI Standard Velocity too- suppressed or not. IMHO, it’s a phenomenal option for Base class or to just get started in NRL22 to decide which way you wanna go or how much to spend lol. 
The Bushnell Match Pro and Vortex Strike Eagle are both great economy options that do everything you need them to and won’t break the bank. 

Edited by RobE1010

2 hours ago, RobE1010 said:

It has been working out great for me for Base class. Once you get it broken in, the action smooths out or else you can swap for a different bolt. For me, the rifle loves CCI Standard Velocity too- suppressed or not. IMHO, it’s a phenomenal option for Base class or to just get started in NRL22 to decide which way you wanna go or how much to spend lol. 
The Bushnell Match Pro and Vortex Strike Eagle are both great economy options that do everything you need them to and won’t break the bank. 

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I have over 2k through my rifle already so it’s broken in.
Just recently had to replace the extractor because I rounded it out. 
I’m going to get in a few more rounds tomorrow for practice at different ranges and try to give myself an edge. 

Sounds like a good plan. I’d recommend practicing different ranges and positions with an elevated heart rate as well (on the clock and not), some induced stress to try and replicate match stress as much as possible in a practice format.