Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223/556 brass length.

PhotoRecon

Over the years 223/556 has a max length of 1.760" and my reloading manuals recommend a trim length of 1.750".  OFB always seem to work with these dimensions.

I've been using the 1.750" trim length since 1984.

Over the past couple years we're seeing allot of 223/556 OFB left on the range and noticed some manufacturers brass is around 1.740". Even some Lake City is showing up with the 1.740". FL sizing doesn't get the length up to 1.750" nor has several firings got them up to 1.750".

I'm sorting the shorter lengths out since I primarily shoot long distance and strive to keep the brass as consistent as possible.

Anyone else notice the change?

I am going to post here because my question is kind of a long these lines. I have been getting a lot of S&B, PSD, GFL  Is this brass closer to commercials or is it military. I know when I trim all my Brass to 1.750+-.003 The powder sets completely different than it does and say my PMC brass

11 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

I am going to post here because my question is kind of a long these lines. I have been getting a lot of S&B, PSD, GFL  Is this brass closer to commercials or is it military. I know when I trim all my Brass to 1.750+-.003 The powder sets completely different than it does and say my PMC brass

LC is the only military headstamp I have seen...

if you see a quartered circle, I have read that is nato...

miranda

8 hours ago, PhotoRecon said:

Farmer:

Mostly dates from the last 3 years.

I also started finding brass marked "LC 223 REM" which I've never seen before. They are 100% short.

That’s much newer than most of mine. I just checked some LC 93 and most were 1.748-1.760 but there were a few 1.740’s in there too. The newer stuff that I’ve found short was some Rem 708 and also WW 22-250. Were the LC 223 Rem headstamp brass crimped?

Farmer:

Yes, the LC 223 REM is crimped. I'm guessing LC made it at 223 power level for some company to sell. There is no Nato mark.

The brass is being discussed on other forums. They are guessing Winchester has taken over the LC plant contract. One poster claims he had that headstamp in Winchester and Browning boxes.

@PhotoRecon

I had heard that Browning ammo was made by WW but always thought LC was an independent that made ammo for everyone else. I also have some brass that’s marked FC 223 and also FC with the date and some WCC with the date so everyone must take turns.  Somewhere I have a chart I made over a long winter where I water measured internal volumes of 223 brass. Of course most all of the nato stuff is around .5 less vol.  Well I guess it’s owned by the government and According to this Olin is still running it. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_City_Army_Ammunition_Plant

Edited by Farmer
Added link

I assume posters are talking about the length after resizing.

I just finished FL sizing about 1K and about 50% were longer than 1.76" and needed trimming. I FL size to make sure they run in AR platform. Trim to 1.74" 

I also notice about 30+% have some form of primer pocket crimp, either staking or that annoying edge which runs completely around the primer pocket.  

Since I have a Giraud machine trimming is easy. I check brass after sizing every time.

I use 1.750" + or - .001" when trimming.

A friend of mine doesn't crimp so he  makes sure his brass is less than 1.760" otherwise he doesn't trim.

7 hours ago, PhotoRecon said:

Since I have a Giraud machine trimming is easy. I check brass after sizing every time.

I use 1.750" + or - .001" when trimming.

A friend of mine doesn't crimp so he  makes sure his brass is less than 1.760" otherwise he doesn't trim.

What type of crimping die do you use, Lee Collet? Regular Roll Crimp? On my bolt gun and TC single I generally don’t crimp unless it shows an accuracy improvement. All the auto stuff gets a roll if there’s a cannalure or collet if not. 

• 2 weeks later...

I hadnt noticed, I trim on press while decapping and resizing. so they all go through the trimmer(set to 1.75). Im not sure why manufactured would have shrunk. Maybe they save a grain of brass being shorter?

why shorter 556/223 cases...

one day at the factory...

the case trimmer was set a bit low and no one noticed.

the cost difference for that 10 thous of brass removed

is not enough to have the trim set short...

If there is another case that is a little shorter

those cases were re-sized into 223? 

other guesses are valid. 

perhaps a big batch was trimmed short to test a machine gun

for reliability with off spec ammo.

after, the special cases escaped.

in this guessing,  I have nothing past my imagination feeding the speculations

miranda

On 3/1/2023 at 1:34 PM, PhotoRecon said:

On new unfired rounds of LC Nato I'm seeing 1.756" brass or so...on recent factory new unfired FC 223 rounds brass around 1.742".

SAAMI spec for the .223 Remington case length is 1.760 +0/-.30 so anything between 1.730 and 1.760 is within specification.  Better too short than too long.

Nolan

I trim all my 223 and 223 Ackley brass back to 1.745.  By the time it needs trimming again I have lost it or the neck has split.

When processing 223 brass, if it is longer than 1.745 the Dillon trimmer trims it.  If it is shorter than that, and almost all FC brass is, I just press on and dont sweat it.

1 hour ago, Tom Freeman said:

If it is shorter than that, and almost all FC brass is,

Have you noticed any accuracy issue with shorter brass?  

If not I assume you do not sort shorter brass from brass trimmed to exactly 1.745?

5 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Have you noticed any accuracy issue with shorter brass?  

If not I assume you do not sort shorter brass from brass trimmed to exactly 1.745?

Zero accuracy difference that I can se inside 500-600 yards with my load using Hornady bullets.

I sort my bolt gun brass and my precision semi-auto brass.  But for most of my 223 shooting, no sorting.