Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 320 for CO?

Dchi

I've used a M&P CORE for about 6 years now and have done really well with it. I've won a lot of smaller matches with 40 or less shooters. But moving up to the bigger matches 60+ shooters I'm somewhere in the top 10. There's a bunch at the top using heavy weight guns.  I think the extra weight of P320 tungsten frame and *thumb rest [generic]* would help me a lot. I'm trying to shave off 3+ seconds off my total match time. So maybe .5-1 sec off per stage. I don't know much about the 320's. Should I get and X5 Legion or DH3 or build it myself? Also, I don't like the trigger too much but I'm sure that can be improved. I want a heavy frame, lighter slide, and the lowest optic mount possible with a RMR cut and a magwell. Also, I would also get 3 140mm mags and one open mag to start with. Trying to stay under $1500 and used is ok.

All the better Sig shooters around me swear by the Gray Guns kit and a good polish, X5 legion, DPP footprint dot of choice.

In terms of thumb rests, not many use any of the big ones. I've seen the Align tactical get some usage, and seen some mention of the Odin and Tevo rests. I, personally, use the Tevo rest and it's pretty great, but it pretty much only fits those with smaller hands.

6 hours ago, Dchi said:

lowest optic mount possible with a RMR cut

For the RMR cut you are going to need a complete adapter plate or at a minimum a spacer plate (which would keep the optic very low) for just about every P320 slide.  If you want a direct mount which would be the lowest you most likely would have to go aftermarket slide and have it milled.  

Many of the P320 slides, especially in the X5 line are cut to adopt a couple of different optics directly.  The problem with that is, there will be gaps between the optic and where the slide is milled.  The screws alone will not maintain the optic on the slide.  For RMR footprint optics, many opt for spacer plates that remove the gaps between the optic and the milled edges of the optic cutout.  

I would not get to caught up on how high the optic is over the bore when using full blown adapter plates.  Many people use them with zero issue.  

Go the MAX or the Legion (what changes are there in the DH version to make it any better than the others ?), if you want to make changes great platform to start at. NO magwells allowed in CO 

Edited by terrydoc

Go shoot the sig fist. It’s going to feel different from your s&w because the slide rides a bit higher. 

s&w came out with a steal frame 5” comp gun. 

Also in your price range you can do better than that sig. People always follow the leader because the leader is doing something right. Or because someone threw enough money to make it look good. In this case it’s not the gun, sigs design is like taking a vw beetle and setting it up to drag race. Sure you can do it but it’s never going to be as good as something that’s design to physically give you all the best advantages. This of course is just my opinion. 

I just built an Arsenal strike one, having the slide milled for an sro, installed a steel guide rod with a 12 pound recoil spring and 2 pound 5 ounce trigger. There is a built in mag well so your still carry optics legal. Long grip for plenty of purchase and 5” barrel. Throw an x300 on there and you’re swinging 40 ounces around with what I think feels balanced for my medium sized hands. The trigger is probably one of the best polymer triggers on the market once upgraded and the bore is lower than a Glock. Mine shoots like a 22. If you’re interested pm me I’ll point you in all the right directions so you don’t have to do the hard work I already figured out. I’m going to eventually do a write up and post it in the others forum. 

Edited by Twilk73

On 2/16/2023 at 10:28 AM, Dchi said:

I've used a M&P CORE for about 6 years now and have done really well with it. I've won a lot of smaller matches with 40 or less shooters. But moving up to the bigger matches 60+ shooters I'm somewhere in the top 10. There's a bunch at the top using heavy weight guns.  I think the extra weight of P320 tungsten frame and *thumb rest [generic]* would help me a lot. I'm trying to shave off 3+ seconds off my total match time. So maybe .5-1 sec off per stage. I don't know much about the 320's. Should I get and X5 Legion or DH3 or build it myself? Also, I don't like the trigger too much but I'm sure that can be improved. I want a heavy frame, lighter slide, and the lowest optic mount possible with a RMR cut and a magwell. Also, I would also get 3 140mm mags and one open mag to start with. Trying to stay under $1500 and used is ok.

sent you a pm. 

I tried the new S&w competitor and it’s has a better stock trigger than any 320 aftermarket trigger I’ve ever used. Lots of pretravel, but very crisp and clean break and reset. I presume pre travel can be adjusted out. Was shooting a friends gun at range. 

Before I switched to a Tanfo, I was running an AXG frame with the Brass Lok grips. I significantly preferred that grip shape over the TXG (had a TXG before). A few others at my club are also running the AXG. It is pricey to setup though (~$500 for just the grips). \

I went with the x5. The max wasn’t out yet. If I were to buy another CO gun, it would be the max. GG kit is nice and light. However, I picked up an sig package from a buddy and he had a mix of GG parts and some parts from Sussex gunworks. It’s a tad bit heavier by about a pound and change but the wall feels better. Granted, this is personal preference and in dry fire. DPP worked great for me but the package included a SRO which I plan on trying. I do have a Odin armory man-o-war thumb rest and love it. Big step up. 

All in all, I’m happy I went with a x5 and have no regrets. 

• 4 months later...